GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you folks.

What kind of jobs are there in the motorcycle world that makes 6 figures? Is it impossible for someone to start in that area? What about starting part time to build something up to that level?

Here is the deal, I absolutley hate my job, have for years and years. I know, who doesn't? I want to change to a career I would love. I'm finding it damn near impossible to do. I have worked my way up to a very senior level position in the Govt. which means my lifestyle matches that. I live in Mont. County MD, mortgage, 2 kids in school, couple car payments, and not much debt. Tried to switch over flying, nope, that didn't work. Got my certs, I just could not figure out how I could switch over to something and survive with an 80%+ paycut. I could take 10-20 or maybe even 30% paycut, not 80 though.

So now for months I've been looking at something in the motorcycle world. Nothing. I'm not a tech, don't have money to start a business, ect... I just feel that I'm 37, no way I can work doing what I do for another 30+ years till I can retire. I just don't understand how someone can change careers with a family without literally putting them through hell.

Am I just out of touch with reality? Is it even possible?

Anyone have ideas in the motorcycle world for someone to switch careers. I'm OK with having to work a couple years to get there, it's just that when the swich happens it can't be at an 80% pay loss.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Aside from the $ angle, I've known quite a few people employed in motorcycle sales or service who've said their work robs them of almost all their quality time riding.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Is it even possible?

There's a saying something like this....how do you make a million dollars in the MC industry.
6 figures? No, it's not possible. Certainly not in sales, service - general support functions.

I don't know how much the finance guys make in large dealerships. If you have great financial credentials this might be work looking into.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The closest I have ever seen someone do what you're thinking of (i.e., making money working with motorcycles without being a mechanic or dealer/owner) is a detailing collector who makes money buying, trading and selling motorcycles. This does require a great interest in and knowledge of motorcycles and what makes them collectible and valued. It also requires you to successfully network among the major owners and collectors and stay on top of the market. This individual is also enough of a wrench to restore a bike, subbing out things like painting, chroming, engine rebuild, etc.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Question for you folks.

What kind of jobs are there in the motorcycle world that makes 6 figures? Is it impossible for someone to start in that area? What about starting part time to build something up to that level?

Here is the deal, I absolutley hate my job, have for years and years. I know, who doesn't? I want to change to a career I would love. I'm finding it damn near impossible to do. I have worked my way up to a very senior level position in the Govt. which means my lifestyle matches that. I live in Mont. County MD, mortgage, 2 kids in school, couple car payments, and not much debt. Tried to switch over flying, nope, that didn't work. Got my certs, I just could not figure out how I could switch over to something and survive with an 80%+ paycut. I could take 10-20 or maybe even 30% paycut, not 80 though.

So now for months I've been looking at something in the motorcycle world. Nothing. I'm not a tech, don't have money to start a business, ect... I just feel that I'm 37, no way I can work doing what I do for another 30+ years till I can retire. I just don't understand how someone can change careers with a family without literally putting them through hell.

Anyone have ideas in the motorcycle world for someone to switch careers. I'm OK with having to work a couple years to get there, it's just that when the swich happens it can't be at an 80% pay loss.
Reality! You have issues.

Hating your job is not good. I never had a job I hated, and I think that can be attributed to the way I looked at the job. I think I would like most jobs, and you, maybe, might hate most jobs. Did you like your job in the beginning?

Not much debt? Mortgage and 2 cars is much debt to me.

37 with a "senior" (whatever that means) job and figuring you need to work 30 more year to retire! You have issues! Get a handle on where you are now, be appreciative, and get help with a plan to hang it up at about 55yrs of age. Use you job as a tool to be who and what you want to be.
Your target - 55 - with clean fingernails

..louie

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reality! You have issues.

Hating your job is not good. I never had a job I hated, and I think that can be attributed to the way I looked at the job. I think I would like most jobs, and you, maybe, might hate most jobs. Did you like your job in the beginning?

Not much debt? Mortgage and 2 cars is much debt to me.

37 with a "senior" (whatever that means) job and figuring you need to work 30 more year to retire! You have issues! Get a handle on where you are now, be appreciative, and get help with a plan to hang it up at about 55yrs of age. Use you job as a tool to be who and what you want to be.
Your target - 55 - with clean fingernails

..louie
I wouldn't say I have issues per-say... That's a bit harsh.

Nope, I never liked my job, I got into it because I was young ~20 and thought money was everything. I'm in IT. That is one lesson I'm trying to teach my kids. Happiness does not come from money alone. You can make all the money in the world and if you don't like what you're doing it's useless. I'm in the Fed. Govt. and on the GS scale there is only one more step I can go. You have to be a director at that level and I really have no interest in that. I wish I could retire at 55, the newer Fed. Govt. retirement system doesn't work that way. It is based only on age, and that age is 65. You can retire a couple years earlier if you want to take a percentage cut on the retirement check. So I guess technically I have 28 years left.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was suggesting retiring with ''your money'' at 55. I know your mindset, but I still say you could do it. Then when you hit the Govt age for retirement, take that icing on the cake. Is there some restriction where you have to be employed by the Govt at retirement age?

I'll say this - when I was 37 I was living in a 22' travel trailer, owed everybody, and had a junk car. So look around, you're way ahead of the game and should be proud.

..louie

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You have "lifestyled" yourself into a corner. Unless you re-lifestyle yourself to live on MUCH less income...you're stuck.

I have a hotel in PG county. Largo, MD. I'm 40 and an Executive in the hotel industry.

Come on over to the hotel next week....Monday or Tuesday and let me buy you dinner and we can commiserate together for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I left the Motorcycle Business after 25 years as a Parts/Accessory Manager. Most I ever made was close to $45,000. Moved here to Ohio and nobody wanted to pay for the experience I have.
A sales rep for a distributor can do fairly well, as Manufacturer reps.
Allot o Independent sales reps do quite well also. As an Independent you have to rep for several companies.
I had a couple of opportunities to be a Manufacturer Rep but at the time I had custody of my son and was not able to travel.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Oh...not to mention...

The internet has killed the local aftermarket parts buiz. I have had a dozen bike in the past 5 years and spend 3-5K in aftermarket and haven't bought a single item at a dealer. Not a single item.

The no tax, no shipping thing always wins.

Sucks...I know.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Fuse, while I'm not quite where you are, I've had plenty of days in my career where I have had the same feelings and wondered the same thing. As someone stated above, I freely admit that I have had a lifestyle that made it impossible for me to consider taking a big cut in pay.

Mind you, I don't regret that at all. I've had plenty of cool toys while at the same time I've always saved for retirement. I just don't see the point in waiting until I'm too old to enjoy my money, so I have.

As you are pointing out, it's almost impossible today to go to work for a company with retirement benefits. I have no retirement benefits after 37 years of working for in the industry, but fortunately I have saved enough that I should be able to retire in the same manner I have had while working - which to me is good.

There are jobs out there that can make you more money, and I'm sure you would enjoy. But the reality is that your experience and reputation are what got you the pay you make now, and it would be extremely rare that you could go to work in a new field where you have no experience or reputation to immediately make the kind of money you probably want to make.

Bottom line is that like me, you make a decision - carry on or spend a few years lowing your lifestyle to start over. The most practical decision is to take your IT skills to another industry/company that might make your work more fun and rewarding, but where you are still doing the same sort of work that you can use what you have been doing as a reference for a new job.

Whatever you do, best of luck!

P.S. - if you are so inclined, you might want to be more specific about what you do in case someone here might know of a job that would suit you. Also, are you willing on moving?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I wouldn't say I have issues per-say... That's a bit harsh.

Nope, I never liked my job, I got into it because I was young ~20 and thought money was everything. I'm in IT. That is one lesson I'm trying to teach my kids. Happiness does not come from money alone. You can make all the money in the world and if you don't like what you're doing it's useless. I'm in the Fed. Govt. and on the GS scale there is only one more step I can go. You have to be a director at that level and I really have no interest in that. I wish I could retire at 55, the newer Fed. Govt. retirement system doesn't work that way. It is based only on age, and that age is 65. You can retire a couple years earlier if you want to take a percentage cut on the retirement check. So I guess technically I have 28 years left.
My guess is that you probably need to be working for one of the bike corporations to make that kind of money.
The thing I've noticed with people who try to make their hobby a career is that it ends up ruining it as a hobby for them. I've always been more one of those who uses my job to support my hobbies.
You're a young guy yet so my thought would be to look around at something that would get me close to where I want to be money wise that would allow me the latitude I want.
I happened to find that in nursing. I would have never imagined saying I want to be an RN when I was younger nor could I see why anyone would want to. I started out in it only because it was a practical choice, something I could do relatively quickly that made more than I was doing. Along the way I happened to discover a part of it I'm really good at and really like. Being in the VA I get a lot of time off (starting at 5 weeks a year vacation) which is an enticement. I'm in the same spot as you on scale though, two more steps and I'm topped out but being 55 its not the issue to me it would be at your age.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Question for you folks.

Lobbiest?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
fuse-- I'll offer my 2 cents .........

I left a 6 figure job in northern va, sold everything i owned and packed up shop and moved to the beach. Unlike you though, I don't have kids to consider, just the mrs., who was happy to get out of dodge. I like you hated my job, and decided that life was too short. I took over an 80% pay cut for peace of mind. If you look hard enough, you'll find the "right" fit for you and your family.

for the record, it only took me 3 minutes to get to work today, and I'm never going back to the "big" city.

best of luck on finding what your looking for

by the way, i was 35 when i quit

·
Registered
342 Posts
It might just be that your working for a lifestyle that you can never obtain.
Make less, spend less. Spend more time with your family. Do what you want to do.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Fuse... I feel for you.

While, unless you are an AWESOME Custom Designer, Stunt Rider, or can come up with the financing to open your own dealership :: there pretty much are NO jobs in motorcycles that will pay 6 figs.

I was similar to you... I changed careers twice in my life.. First time at age 35, and I took a 30% pay cut to take the new job. 5 years later I was making double what I would have made if I stayed at my old job... Then I did it again at age 40 - this time I took nearly a 40% Salary Hit, and gave up 4 weeks of vacation - Today I make well over triple, more then the guy who took my job at the old place.

FYI: I did the "follow my dream, make my hobby a career thing", sort of. However, I had several hobbies to build off of. (still do). I melded my People skills with my knack for understanding technologies, and Education in Management into a wonderful career that I love doing! Could not be happier with my choices.

Yes :: I have had some HORRIBLE jobs over the years - but only for a short time, as I was never one to stay somewhere I didn't like for very long.

Oh yes.. That company I quit working for at 35, I had had worked at for 17 years and had no other reason aside from boredom and the want of a better lifestyle... - so leaving took some mental conditioning.

Just hang in there - - consider any and all opportunities as they present themselves. Don't be afraid to take a risk. Sometimes you do have to take a hit today - to come out ahead tomorrow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
902 Posts
You really donot want be inthat field. You are always trying to work, never have time to ride and when you do you feel like your working.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts