GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carefree AZ is considering enforcing a 86+ decebel ordinance in an effort to curb motorcycle noise. The gist of it is that if you have non-OEM pipes and get caught making noise you get a ticket.
(Posted from Sonoran News)

CAREFREE – Residents continued to push for more enforcement of the town’s ordinance on excessive motorcycle noise even as organizers of an effort to reduce the noise voluntarily outlined a program that mirrors what is happening throughout the country.
“Why don’t we enforce the existing ordinance?” Carefree resident Glen Gommels asked while committee co-chairman Lloyd Meyer was making his presentation on Monday. “Increase enforcement – when you hit them in the pocketbook this will fly.” Gommels has advocated establishing testing areas at entrances to the community where the decibel level of a motorcycle could be tested to see if it is below Carefree’s threshold of 85 decibels.
“Stop them and test them and awareness will skyrocket,” Gommels added.
Carefree resident Hap Maul urged the committee to address the noise problem by enforcing the speed limit more stringently.
“If you enforce the speed limit you will also reduce the sound,” he added.
Carefree Town Councilman Bob Coady said, “We should be looking at the 10 percenters,” when adding to the call for stricter enforcement of the 85 decibel ordinance.
He and interested citizens from Cave Creek used a sound meter last Saturday to test the level of noise of the cycles coming into town. He added that only two motorcycles – one at 91 Db and one at 98 – were far out of compliance with the existing noise ordinance.
Meyer reviewed information provided during the first noise meeting while the residents made their pleas for stricter enforcement. He talked about increasing awareness of the problem, encouraging voluntary compliance from riders and increasing enforcement when presenting the three-pronged approach that the committee intends to take.
“This is a quality of life issue.
The mayor and town council are very serious about seeing that the ordinance is enforced, but we want to be fair about giving proper warning,” he said.
Committee co-chairman Matt Dingman gave the reason why the committee is sticking with the voluntary program even while residents push for stricter enforcement.
“A soft approach gives motorcyclists the opportunity to make the right decision,” he said. “It will be their choice to decide what to do. A lot of problems can be reduced if we give motorcyclists the chance to do the right thing before we go to stricter enforcement.” He has gotten top officials with Harley Davidson in Milwaukee, Wis. to agree to contribute to the local effort by helping with the marketing and design of the Carefree program.
“We need signage that says, ‘you are welcome here, but be respectful by riding quietly,” he said about Harley Davidson’s contribution to the local effort. He added that Harley Davidson officials are willing to help with the Carefree program as long the program can be used as a model for programs in other communities.
“The industry realizes that there will be legislation coming down if they don’t get out in front of this issue,” he said when referring to national noise reduction programs like the American Motorcycle Association’s Sound Advice offering.
Dingman and Meyer will present the findings of the Noise Reduction Committee to the Carefree Town Council on Tuesday, Sept. 5. The meeting will be at 5 p.m. in Carefree Town Council chambers.
The voluntary program that Harley Davidson is willing to throw its weight behind will take 60 days to implement, the way Dingman sees it. Riders will then be given another three months to acclimate themselves to the voluntary effort before stricter enforcement of the new ordinance takes place.
“We could also issue warning tickets during this period to raise awareness,” Meyer said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My understanding is that there is an EPA sticker on every set of pipes. Where is the one on the Wing and does anyone know the Wings rated noise level?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Re: Carefree AZ to enforce noise ordinance-A look at the fu

AUSTENNN said:
My understanding is that there is an EPA sticker on every set of pipes. Where is the one on the Wing and does anyone know the Wings rated noise level?
What noise? :lol: I think that the tranny/alternator drive gears make more noise than the stock exhaust on my wing. :wink:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Re: Carefree AZ to enforce noise ordinance-A look at the fu

LVWolfman said:
AUSTENNN said:
What noise? :lol: I think that the tranny/alternator drive gears make more noise than the stock exhaust on my wing. :wink:
Maybe Honda put the noise sticker on the speakers or audio volume control....... :shock:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just move to the country! Let em have each other! Sounds like theres probably moe noise from lawn mowers than motorcycles. :lol:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Here we go again. Politics taking the forefront.

May be when I get to be 90 I can complain like all the other OLD FARTS!

They have nothing better to do with their time?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This has nothing to do with Wings

This is all about the noise generated by some of the clowns having their second childhoods who ride with the Black Mountain Motorcycle Club. It's a club of mostly wealthy riders, many of them retired. And though some of them ride stock machines, a lot ride custom chops or modified Harleys. You won't find any EPA stickers on those bikes. They often frequent a watering hole in Cave Creek, and the residents have become justifiably ticked off at the noise from the straight pipes.

Stu

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I think its just old folks that are pissed because they cannot ride anymore so they pick on motorcycles... how about trucks - jet planes - kids with boom boxes in their cars - helicopters ?

cosmic

·
Registered
552 Posts
They've had that ordinance on the books for almost 3 years now. It's a big joke because in order to enforce it you have to have all kinds of sophisticated sound measuring equipment and the training to use it. A friend of mine who is a cop up in Jerome came down and trained the sheriff deputies on how to use the equipment. It's a major pain in the butt to set it up and calibrate it. You can't have any other background noise involved if you are only going to give tickets to loud bikers.

This was tested in court as there was a pack of Harley's that blew through town and the cop gave them all tickets. The court fight involved what specific Harley was breaking the law out of the group. You can't be found guilty by association!

I haven't seen the equipment set up for quite awhile. I don't think Sherrif Joe has a contract with Carefree anymore.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I think its just old folks that are pissed because they cannot ride anymore so they pick on motorcycles... cosmic
I think you don't know the situation and don't know what you're talking about. How'd you like to be rumbled out of bed at 7 am on Saturday morning by a bunch of morons whacking their throttles outside your window?

Blackbird is correct, but the town council is meeting soon to address this again. I wouldn't be surprised to see a local ordinance banning all motorcycles, then let the AMA fight it in court. I received this today.

For Your Information:

The Carefree Noise Reduction Committee will be presenting it's findings to the Carefree Town Council, tomorrow, Tuesday September 5th. The meeting will be at 5:00pm in the Carefree Town Council chambers at the City Hall.

Hope to see you there.

Steve

G

·
Wasn't something like this done somewhere in Colorado sometime back?

I never heard anymore how successful they were in reducing the noise on loud pipes.

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
the loud pipes and childish riders are causing trouble nation wide, the sooner they start taking away some of their money the better

2,732 Posts
I agree

Cycledude is right...start with a warning, then start enforcing the law. I spent Sunday afternoon working on a bldg I own on main street in my little town. After the first 1/2 hour of listening to the damn noise made by Harleys and Harley want-to-be's, I decided that if something isn't done in our town to quiet them down soon, I'll probably consider a run for City Council and make it part of my agenda to enforce the noise ordinance. The noise is overwhelming and why? So that some idiot came make a statement to the rest of us that he's really, really cool and "aint he something". I'm really getting annoyed by the 1% er's who trash the rest of our reputations.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
azblackbird said:
...It's a big joke because in order to enforce it you have to have all kinds of sophisticated sound measuring equipment and the training to use it...
All it takes is one judge sympathetic to the local’s plight and anything can happen (maybe the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals rings a bell).

When you’re in court, you go by THAT judge’s opinion...so don’t count too heavily on the letter of the Law.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Stu_O said:
[quote="cosmic_chariot":1duu67ef]I think its just old folks that are pissed because they cannot ride anymore so they pick on motorcycles... cosmic
I think you don't know the situation and don't know what you're talking about. How'd you like to be rumbled out of bed at 7 am on Saturday morning by a bunch of morons whacking their throttles outside your window?

Blackbird is correct, but the town council is meeting soon to address this again. I wouldn't be surprised to see a local ordinance banning all motorcycles, then let the AMA fight it in court. I received this today.

For Your Information:

The Carefree Noise Reduction Committee will be presenting it's findings to the Carefree Town Council, tomorrow, Tuesday September 5th. The meeting will be at 5:00pm in the Carefree Town Council chambers at the City Hall.

Hope to see you there.

Steve[/quote:1duu67ef]

If they are successful in banning motorcycles.. I hope the next step is
a hot shot lawyer sues the hell out of the town council and wins millions...
for discrimination !

cosmic

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
[quote="cosmic_

for discrimination !

cosmic[/quote]So do you like listening to these loud bikes? :shock:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
White Gold said:
[quote="cosmic_

for discrimination !

cosmic
So do you like listening to these loud bikes? :shock:

White Gold -- ALL MOTORCYCLES DO NOT HAVE LOUD PIPES !

cosmic

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Loud pipes was one of the reasons I chose the Goldwing. Nothing is worse than having a group of Harleys or Metric Cruisers go by on the street several hundred feet away and causing your ears to ring. This is no different than a person physically assaulting you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think if you have loud pipes I have the right to go to your house at 3 in the morning and set up my stereo system and play classical music as loud as I can and point it to your bedroom window. i am just expressing myself and it's my right, just like you seem to think you have your right.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
LOUD PIPES are just LOUD. It has killed the offroad areas and will continue to hurt street riding. The ONLY way to control it is to NOT ALLOW LOUD PIPES. DO YOU HEAR ME HARLEY RIDERS. NO AFTERMARKET PIPES AT ALL. I don't care if all exhaust manufacturers go out of business good. There should be a 92 db max level allowed. LOUD PIPES SAVE LIFES---BS---A car can't hear you until you pass. I think the LOUDER the bike the smaller the>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I would rather chrome my entire bike than have a loud aftermarket pipe.LOL :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts