GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took a recent trip from Florida to Nova Scotia, (where I had zero cell coverage on my Verizon iPhone 6S+). I had my Zumo 595 also. I used CarPlay and Google Maps regularly, in addition to the 595. I created a (1 or 2 stops) route using google Maps on motel WiFi for the day, on the phone. My experience was that the route was fully available all day, UNLESS I disconnected the phone, or moved significantly off route. So stopping for gas or lunch or roadside attractions didn’t loose the route since the whole thing was loaded beginning of day. If I went significantly off-route several miles it was sometimes lost but generally came back when I returned to the route. If I messed with it, trying to get an alternate route, or disconnected the phone, I always lost the whole thing with no way to recover unless I found some WiFi.

On a side note, after crossing the border to Canada, I got a text saying I could get daily cell coverage for $5/day, charged to my Verizon bill. I replied YES and surprise!! “No Service” for 5 days. Seems to be a ripoff. I’m waiting to see the charge so I can complain to Verizon.

I initially disliked Google Maps via CarPlay but have come to like it as long as I have cell coverage. It’s nice to see slow traffic areas and get re-routing suggestions while riding. Even where cell coverage is spotty, it keeps the route active and visible and the reconnects when back in cell coverage. It’s not perfect but works pretty well and that screen is so pretty.

The Honda GPS, on the other hand, is slow to update, frequently shows me moving in a slightly off direction, and the non-Interstate highways are difficult to see, being just 2 faint lines to indicate the road.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One thing I use is WAZE, this works pretty good if you like the voice directions. I don't, I just want to see highway conditions while driving. It will also show other things along the way, but I dont need to know when to make turns. WAZE does work in Carplay.

·
Registered
998 Posts
With Google maps you can download offline maps over wifi in advance of your trip. Once that is done, no cell or wifi coverage is needed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
With Google maps you can download offline maps over wifi in advance of your trip. Once that is done, no cell or wifi coverage is needed.
I must be thick? Don't understand how the offline map concept works. With no cell or wifi coverage, how does google maps know where your physically are as you travel down the road? Via CarPlay does it somehow make use of the bike's built in GPS capability?

Please explain if you can

·
Registered
360 Posts
I must be thick? Don't understand how the offline map concept works. With no cell or wifi coverage, how does google maps know where your physically are as you travel down the road? Via CarPlay does it somehow make use of the bike's built in GPS capability?

Please explain if you can
Your iPhone has a GPS chip, built in that it uses for your position. It’s vastly more accurate that triangulating your position from cell towers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your iPhone has a GPS chip, built in that it uses for your position. It’s vastly more accurate that triangulating your position from cell towers.
Thanks, that makes total sense!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I find that true as far as it showing you your position and showing the map. But ask it to search for anything and it needs an internet connection to do it.

Siri needs an internet connection for everything.

I have a Garmin 590 here that I have been trying to avoid installing on the GW, but I might have to. The mountain roads I mostly ride have no cell coverage way more often than they do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts