GL1800Riders Forums banner

CARPLAY is great!, a few questions

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  DWAS 
#1 ·
Tried CARPLAY for first time few days ago. Works great! Love it! Using Sena SMH 10 and Apple 6S+.
Questions:

1. How do I change the standard carplay screen? For example: delete the Audiobooks and Podcasts apps, and add the Pandora and Waze apps.
  2. If I have multiple screens (i.e., more apps than will fit on the standard carplay screen), how do I set that up and move from screen to screen on the goldwing?
  3. How do I change the default navigation app from apple maps to Google Maps or Waze, so that when I ask Siri for directions she goes to Google Maps or Waze instead of Apple Maps
  4. Other than using Siri, can you use voice input to enter navigation info into any of the nav apps?

I did search the owners manual for answers to the above, did not find anything. Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 ·
I'm playing with this today too...

For #1, I have Pandora on my iphone and it automatically appeared on the Wing apple car play screen.

For #2, I think it does this automatically, mine has 2 screens, to get to the 2nd screen use the joy stick and turn to the right to navigate through the apps, once at the end of first page it goes to the 2nd page.

Sorry, I don't know about 3 & 4, good luck, hope that helps for 1 & 2

#5 ·
This was the first thing I tried. It allowed me to remove 2 apps (autobooks, podcasts). The other 6 apps (phone, maps, music, messages, now playing, and honda appear to be built in and cannot be removed. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to access other apps (such as pandora) on my phone and move to to the "goldwing screen".

I can start Pandora from my phone, and it plays on my bike through carplay, but if for example I was to play music from another source the only way I could play Pandora again would be to pull out my phone and touch the Pandora Icon. That is why I need to get the icon on the Goldwing carplay screen.

I am on IOS 11, do I need to update to IOS 12?

#6 ·
The app maker has to get it approved by Apple to be a CarPlay app. Those are the only ones that will appear. XM Radio has an app, which makes it easy for me to get my yacht rock radio fix any time of year...

#9 · (Edited)
I think the thing I will use in CarPlay 98% of the time is Google Maps. I downloaded a map that covers all of California and Nevada I am interested in riding in right now, so it doesn't use any data and will work fine as a GPS in the absence of a cell signal. Maps are accurate because they are frequently updated by Google.

Lots of other CP apps such as Pandora do use data, potentially lots of it.

I don't like to listen to music or podcasts or audio books when I am riding. I like the sound of the bike and the wind. That's plenty for me.

#10 ·
Thanks to all who responded! With your suggestions and a little research and a phone call to apple support here is what I found out:

You cannot add apps to the Carplay screen. Only Apple supported 3'rd party apps, such as Google maps, Pandora, Spotify, Google Music, Waze, etc. will display on Carplay.

You can delete such 3'rd party apps from your Carplay screen, and add them back later if desired.

You will need IOS 12.x to display the latest and greatest.

On my phone, I had to update to IOS 12.3, uninstall Pandora, and reinstall it to get it to display on Carplay.

I have not experimented yet, but If I want Google Maps Or Waze to be my default Carplay Navigation, I will delete Apple Maps (Yes, you can now delete it with IOS 12.3) and put either Google Maps or Waze in its place.

BTW - once you use SIRI to enter your NAV instructions, I doubt you will ever go back to using the built in Honda Nav again. Unless you are in an area with no cell signal.

Why I waited beyond a year to use Carplay is beyond me, but better late than never:smile2:

Reactions: Drgsin
#13 ·
I don’t have Apple Car Play on any other vehicle, so i am on a steep learning curve myself with the goldwing. I only wish ACP would open before I connect a Bluetooth headset.
Regarding navigation, I have a ways to go before mapping out all the advantages and disadvantages of using the built in nav verses Google, Waze, Apple maps, or any other ACP enabled nav app.
For the built in nav, I am using the website “MyRoute-app” to plan all my routes. Much easier to use than the Honda planner. But there is a subscription fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.