GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any glitches after iPhone update? Mine has disconnected from CarPlay and will seem to hang up at times. I have to unplug and reconnect it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
So far so good since my update. I had some issues when I installed Zumo XT, but figured out that issue and all is good. Hopefully, you will hear from someone that relate and provide a fix for that issue.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check your lightning connector on the phone. They get pretty grunged up with lint and such. Carefully clean it up with compressed air and a toothpick. You'd be surprised how much junk is in there... ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ios 13.4 here and latest GW firmware update. Two times the Carplay drooped on a 2 hour ride. What was odd was the icon for the headset (Sena 30k) also disappeared from the GW display. I was running Waze and listening to Amazon music. I have a switch on my USB connection and while riding I switched it off then on. After 30 Seconds the headset icon reappeared and Carplay returned. I did have to restart the music, it returned to the station I was listening to and the same spot in the song playing at the time of the fault. Originally my thought was the GW has a glitch and it will be impossible to get warranty repair unless the Honda tech sees it happen. However, searching with google it appears Ios 13.4 has bugs that affect Carplay. I'm surprised the phone is responsible for kicking the headset off, perhaps it is a reset glitch to the Bluetooth module from the phone (iPhone 7). Aftermarket cables. Last night riding was flawless.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the Goldwing lost your headset that would explain why carplay dropped. It may not be an issue with the phone at all, but rather with your headset. If you experiment you'll see that if the headset is turned off, carplay disappears.

Next time try seeing if a power cycle on your headset fixes it. Are you running the latest Nav update?

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the Goldwing lost your headset that would explain why carplay dropped. It may not be an issue with the phone at all, but rather with your headset. If you experiment you'll see that if the headset is turned off, carplay disappears.

Next time try seeing if a power cycle on your headset fixes it. Are you running the latest Nav update?
I left out the icons for the phone also turned off. That is why I did the phone USB reset, which reset the system. However if the glitch occurs again I will try the headset power cycle first and report back. The latest Navi is loaded.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
its never-ending ain't it

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before iOS update everything was working great

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Consider: who could have possibly written the codes for this Honda Navi/connectivity with iPhones?
I would guess some little kid in Bangladesh who got a lap top from charity org., could have been a drunk chinese dude they hire for the praxis of replacing American workers for less money...somewhere cheap for Honda for sure.

And whose idea could it have to omit all android users from this system. Did someone sit around and thought: "you know, I bet most Goldwing riders use Apple phones".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Consider: who could have possibly written the codes for this Honda Navi/connectivity with iPhones?
I would guess some little kid in Bangladesh who got a lap top from charity org., could have been a drunk chinese dude they hire for the praxis of replacing American workers for less money...somewhere cheap for Honda for sure.

And whose idea could it have to omit all android users from this system. Did someone sit around and thought: "you know, I bet most Goldwing riders use Apple phones".
Honda does not make this system.

The system is made by Harman Becker, a company headquartered in Germany. Fully known as Harman Becker Automotive Systems GmbH. They are an international company with bases in ~ 20 countries.

Harman Becker is a subsidiary of Harmon International, which is based in Connecticut, USA. They are known for many of their brands: Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Bang & Olufsen, Crown and many others.

Harmon International is an independent subsidiary of Samsung which is Korean.

It is my understanding that the decision to not support the Goldwing infotainment system from AndroidAuto was made by Google. I do not have any details backing this up.

Software is made around the world, by millions of talented people. I have people on my own team in many other countries. Please keep your xenophobic and racist comments to other venues - they don’t really have much to do with Goldwings.

It’s interesting to see it show up in new ways though, as I remember a time when the same behavior was exhibited towards the Japanese, who make these great motorcycles we all enjoy...

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Honda does not make this system.

The system is made by Harman Becker, a company headquartered in Germany. Fully known as Harman Becker Automotive Systems GmbH. They are an international company with bases in ~ 20 countries.

Harman Becker is a subsidiary of Harmon International, which is based in Connecticut, USA. They are known for many of their brands: Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Bang & Olufsen, Crown and many others.

Harmon International is an independent subsidiary of Samsung which is Korean.

It is my understanding that the decision to not support the Goldwing infotainment system from AndroidAuto was made by Google. I do not have any details backing this up.

Software is made around the world, by millions of talented people. I have people on my own team in many other countries. Please keep your xenophobic and racist comments to other venues - they don’t really have much to do with Goldwings.

It’s interesting to see it show up in new ways though, as I remember a time when the same behavior was exhibited towards the Japanese, who make these great motorcycles we all enjoy...

For the love of God, no one is making racist comments about anything. Geez, lighten up will ya. You are letting 'political-correct' tickle your personal paranoid. And please don't call me a racist again, you don't even know me.

BTW, all that info you posted has been posted before. It is good info and it appears us android users are the victims of somekind of Corp. squabble with Google...kind of stuff never gets published.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For the love of God, no one is making racist comments about anything. Geez, lighten up will ya. You are letting 'political-correct' tickle your personal paranoid. And please don't call me a racist again, you don't even know me.

BTW, all that info you posted has been posted before. It is good info and it appears us android users are the victims of somekind of Corp. squabble with Google...kind of stuff never gets published.
Fair enough, I don’t know you. That is true.

But you did write “some little kid in Bangladesh who got a lap top from charity org., could have been a drunk chinese dude they hire for the praxis of replacing American workers for less money” which bothers me quite a bit as I run several global software development teams and have people around the world who are amazing individuals, and some of them far more talented than their American peers.

In general - system interfaces such as this are complex, and there is ample opportunity for small defects.

What I would say is that some of the suggestions are good places to start - the headset connection is critical and dropping the headset connection will drop the CarPlay connection.

I had good luck with the Goldwing 2020 update for Bluetooth stability, but I have not yet tried with iOS 13.4 since it just came out and not only has our weather been crummy for motorcycling - but we’re under a stay-at-home for COVID-19 so I am limiting my motorcycling anyway (because my luck is now would be the time something happens on my ride and then I put pressure on an already burdened hospital and ems system).

I have, however, sat on my motorcycle while conducting teleconferences for work - because sitting on my motorcycle is my happy place.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
The sad part of that statement is not likened to racist comment, but the probability that you and I own thing (in our house) that may have been made by children in extreme poor areas of India. No long ago I saw a prgm by 60Min on children mining a product used in the manufacturing processes of cell phones, cars, airplanes...I do not remember the name of the actual material...needless to say, working conditions for these children were deplorable.

As far a whether or not a Chinese dude is drunk does not imply bigotry. If I was gonna put down any Chinese thing, it would be the communist regime for allowing open market practices after they knew the consequences of these operations could be drastic--and all because of money.

On Carplay: I think that in today's software marketing the expectation of the consumer is that a tech gadget be user friendly and free of glitches; two factors which appear to me are the category of reasons why folks complain about the Carplay functions.

Hey, I am just suffering from cabin-fever, and of the worse kind. I was expecting to be in the mainland riding around up n down this great country of ours and instead, I am sitting in this house...doing nothing!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nando what you said in post #10 IMO is off base, if "some little kid in Bangladesh " or " a drunk chinese dude " did write the code they are smarter than me and most likely you also. And why slight Charity.org?

"replacing American workers for less money" Isn't that what American companies do, when they contract out to other countries to build their product/parts? Most people don't care about where the product is built only what it cost. You could chose to buy only totally built in the USA products.

I don't know for sure but my understanding is that no vehicle with CarPlay works with Android. Companies can't make their product work with every 3rd party out there. And they shouldn't have to, one size does not fit all, well except for cremation urns.

Its not " letting 'political-correct' tickle your personal paranoid " when what is said is derogatory/wrong. it's correct to call it out. Something that doesn't happen enough.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow...the PC police are out in force today...guess i'll go practice some social distancing. I was hoping to read more experiences with the iOS update and instead, I got this.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Nando what you said in post #10 IMO is off base, if "some little kid in Bangladesh " or " a drunk chinese dude " did write the code they are smarter than me and most likely you also. And why slight Charity.org?

"replacing American workers for less money" Isn't that what American companies do, when they contract out to other countries to build their product/parts? Most people don't care about where the product is built only what it cost. You could chose to buy only totally built in the USA products.

I don't know for sure but my understanding is that no vehicle with CarPlay works with Android. Companies can't make their product work with every 3rd party out there. And they shouldn't have to, one size does not fit all, well except for cremation urns.

Its not " letting 'political-correct' tickle your personal paranoid " when what is said is derogatory/wrong. it's correct to call it out. Something that doesn't happen enough.

Ok, bro, I stand corrected you are right on all points, particularly the comparison on intelligence--though I must warn you, comparing my intelligence to anyone else is already demeaning other folks. I am as stupid as they come! You see that clearly, don't you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
So, has anyone else experienced this issue after updating iOS? Was it 13.4 or 13.4.1 that borked it for you? I've been holding off updating but since I haven't seen anyone else with an issue...maybe I'll go ahead...

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, has anyone else experienced this issue after updating iOS? Was it 13.4 or 13.4.1 that borked it for you? I've been holding off updating but since I haven't seen anyone else with an issue...maybe I'll go ahead...
After further testing with iPhone 11 Pro Max IOS 13.4.1, everything is working fine now including the automatic Car Play connectivity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts