GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any hope that Honda will update the Carplay software to work with Android cell phones?

Those who have cars with Carplay, is it possible to have carplay sync with Androids, or is that an exclusive Apple gadgetry?

...sorry, I just research this and it appears that you get either Carplay Android or the Apple thing.

since this bike has the Apple, I doubt the system will adopt another format...hopefully I am wrong about that.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is there any hope that Honda will update the Carplay software to work with Android cell phones?

Those who have cars with Carplay, is it possible to have carplay sync with Androids, or is that an exclusive Apple gadgetry?

...sorry, I just research this and it appears that you get either Carplay Android or the Apple thing.

since this bike has the Apple, I doubt the system will adopt another format...hopefully I am wrong about that.
On the Android side it's Android Auto. They are NOT compatible. For current cars most of them seem to offer none or both. It's unusual the the Goldwing is only offering Carplay. My current ('19) Mazda CX-9 supports both depending on which phone you hook up. Given that, it's just software, so AFAIK there is no technical reason why the Goldwing audio system couldn't be updated in the future with Android Auto if it already supports Apple Carplay. But if you have an Android phone, right now you are out of luck using it with Carplay (or Android Auto since that is not available).

I'd email Honda and ask them to add that as a feature? (somebody somewhere must read customer emails/requests)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
This has been discussed before, but I'll save you some time searching. This was NOT Honda's decision. They wanted to include Android Auto. Google declined to offer it. All Android Auto implementations use a touch screen. It has no ability to be controlled via a joystick or d-pad like CarPlay does. At least, not currently. Seeing the small market for such capability, if Google hasn't designed a way to do it by now, I seriously doubt that they ever will.

But just because you can't use Android Auto on the bike's screen doesn't mean you can't use Android Auto on your phone itself. Google had initially planned on killing this "standalone" capability, but after lots of feedback they have decided not to. So you can still fire up Android Auto on your phone and use the same voice capability that you would otherwise do with it paired to a vehicle. I do this very thing myself. My phone sits in a Ram Mount on my left handlebar and my headset is paired directly to the phone. I don't use the bike's system at all. And I can fire up any navigation app that I want, or any music player, or whatever else you desire.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
AA

This has been discussed before, but I'll save you some time searching. This was NOT Honda's decision. They wanted to include Android Auto. Google declined to offer it. All Android Auto implementations use a touch screen. It has no ability to be controlled via a joystick or d-pad like CarPlay does. At least, not currently. Seeing the small market for such capability, if Google hasn't designed a way to do it by now, I seriously doubt that they ever will.

But just because you can't use Android Auto on the bike's screen doesn't mean you can't use Android Auto on your phone itself. Google had initially planned on killing this "standalone" capability, but after lots of feedback they have decided not to. So you can still fire up Android Auto on your phone and use the same voice capability that you would otherwise do with it paired to a vehicle. I do this very thing myself. My phone sits in a Ram Mount on my left handlebar and my headset is paired directly to the phone. I don't use the bike's system at all. And I can fire up any navigation app that I want, or any music player, or whatever else you desire.
The 2019 Mazda Miata has an upgrade available to support AA/Carplay and it works with the jog wheel on the console.

·
15 year Member
6,898 Posts
Bite the bullet and buy a used Apple, it a whole different riding experience

Mattbcnv

Reactions: Bayrec and Drgsin

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
I would say the chances are zero.

Apple phones are better in every way. I am very glad Honda & car manufacturers choose the superior Apple format over the android for the Apple Car Play system.

LOL

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
:popcorn: oh boy pass the beer.

·
Registered
412 Posts
:popcorn: oh boy pass the beer.
In the tech world (where I live), Android vs Apple is almost as big a foo fa rah as what kind of oil to use in the motorcycle world...

Reactions: Kenichi
1 - 9 of 9 Posts