GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a ride and for one reason or another CarPlay drops off. I would either have to risk pulling the cord in and out at 80 mph, pull over now or wait until next stop. Just not acceptable, so I set off in search of a reasonable solution.

Looked for a USB cable that supported data, power and had a switch that I can easily flip on and off.

https://cronusmax.com/usb-extension-cable-power-data-switch-cronusmax-plus/

Above is my proposed answer. I just got it today and rushed to the bike to try it. Turned off Sena, CarPlay went away. Plugged in Sena, it connected but no CarPlay. Flipped the switch and (angels singing) CarPlay returns in its glory!!

Shipping cost me more than the $4.99 part. I simply can not wait to use it on my next trip.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good idea. As cost from US to the Netherlands including shipping could be high, I checked on Aliexpress and there are many variants available. I ordered one including shipping for less then $1.
Interesting. Now I‘m looking forward to see how you will switch this on and off while it is in the topcase...:wink2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea. As cost from US to the Netherlands including shipping could be high, I checked on Aliexpress and there are many variants available. I ordered one including shipping for less then $1.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB...65-4787-8aac-96cc339a74e8&transAbTest=ae803_5
Doesn't one need the data line for Carplay? This one specifically states: "Please notice that the data line are not connected through, so this cable can not be used for data transfer." I am thinking carplay uses the data line, but I am not certain. I know the cable I chose has the data line working.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
286 Posts
I didn't do anything special. Maybe they changed something in the last few weeks? I hope not.

Marc
It wont allow me to order? Had to go on amazon UK and it wont ship to US? I emailed them. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
That switch, a simple on/off switch with no extension wire, is unavailable from Amazon and they do not know if they will ever stock it again. Sad.
Doug

·
Registered
292 Posts
This one says, "Note: This NOT has data lines" Have you used this? Does carplay need data lines? I assume it would but I have not tested that.
No I haven't.. I just looked on Amazon when I read this yesterday... I didn't notice the data line comment.. but I already ordered it.. don't think $1.72 will kill me if it doesn't work... :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Interesting. Now I‘m looking forward to see how you will switch this on and off while it is in the topcase...:wink2:
On the non airbag options.. the phone is where your airbag is.. so the switch is between our legs. Easy to open. Don't have to open the topcase to get to our phones. I even have a garage door opener in there that I use while riding up to the house. no problem reaching down and pushing my buttons. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
On the non airbag options.. the phone is where your airbag is.. so the switch is between our legs. Easy to open. Don't have to open the topcase to get to our phones. I even have a garage door opener in there that I use while riding up to the house. no problem reaching down and pushing my buttons. ;)
True. But Harry‘s got the airbag version...so I wonder why.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used this switch and it still shows available and shipping:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
286 Posts
Went out for a ride and for one reason or another CarPlay drops off. I would either have to risk pulling the cord in and out at 80 mph, pull over now or wait until next stop. Just not acceptable, so I set off in search of a reasonable solution.

Looked for a USB cable that supported data, power and had a switch that I can easily flip on and off.

USB Extension Cable with Power and Data Switch for CronusMAX PLUS - Cronus - Console Gaming Without Limits

Above is my proposed answer. I just got it today and rushed to the bike to try it. Turned off Sena, CarPlay went away. Plugged in Sena, it connected but no CarPlay. Flipped the switch and (angels singing) CarPlay returns in its glory!!

Shipping cost me more than the $4.99 part. I simply can not wait to use it on my next trip.
I used to have the same problem – CarPlay dropping out for no good reason. So I bought the same cable (with on/off) switch that you got. It worked great. Allowed me to toggle it when riding to get CarPlay back.

But still had the problem of CarPlay dropping out. Especially every time I hit a major bump in road that would jar the phone. Major pain in the arse. So I bought a new lightning cable, one that was reinforced so it could be twisted and not break the internal cables. That still did not solve my problem.

Finally I turned to good old Google, did some research, and found that a frequent cause for Iphone’s not charging or losing data connections was due to dirty charging port! Watched some videos on youtube. And then spent 1 minute cleaning my charging port (on Iphone) with a toothpick. Sure enough there was dirt and lint in my charging port.

Since I cleaned the charging port – CarPlay has not dropped out once in about 60 hours of riding. Dirty port was definitely the culprit. Here are some “cleaning” videos for you to watch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
One other thing that I have discovered is that VPN profiles on your phone can cause CarPlay to drop. This happens in my autos as well - has nothing to do with the GoldWing.

But some VPN software will cause issues with CarPlay - so if you use a VPN, either for work or for personal reasons - when your phone goes in and out of data service the VPN software has to re-initialize it’s network connection and that can disconnect CarPlay...

May not apply to everyone but it’s one more data set to use. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
433 Posts
Doesn't one need the data line for Carplay? This one specifically states: "Please notice that the data line are not connected through, so this cable can not be used for data transfer." I am thinking carplay uses the data line, but I am not certain. I know the cable I chose has the data line working.
Yes CarPlay uses data....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts