GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
* While running Waze on the Carplay display, I only get visual messages on the display panel. No "Watch out car parked on the shoulder ahead" verbals through bluetooth.

Is that the way it is? or am I missing an 'on' button?

* I have an app called MyRadar--which I gather many of you are familiar with--I have not been able to display that app on the main screen. Someone said that only 'some' apps may appear accessible on a CarPlay display, is that right? I presume Mr. Apple himself must make that clever decision should that be the case.

* Is there anyway to turn the radio off. So as it does not come 'on' at all?

* When I played with the volume and raise the 'audio volume' I started getting a hiss on the speakers. What up witdat?

* I do not use the seat-heater at all--Ever!--I disconnected it expecting that be the end of it, but I keept getting a seat-heater icon flashing on the right side of the bike displays. Anyway of getting rid of that.

One more question: Has anyone installed more than one accessory on the two bolts (red/grd) on the top left hand corner of the fuse box?
Some folks tell me they have, some tell me them connections cannot handle much output. I need to give juice to an external GPS and Fog-lights. Someone also suggested one of them isolator fuse-box but then that is mo' mony honey, and if there is no need, then no get.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Been awile since i used waze but go to settings and can turn on / off stuff

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
* While running Waze on the Carplay display, I only get visual messages on the display panel. No "Watch out car parked on the shoulder ahead" verbals through bluetooth.

* I have an app called MyRadar--which I gather many of you are familiar with--I have not been able to display that app on the main screen. Someone said that only 'some' apps may appear accessible on a CarPlay display, is that right? I presume Mr. Apple himself must make that clever decision should that be the case.

* When I played with the volume and raise the 'audio volume' I started getting a hiss on the speakers. What up witdat?

* I do not use the seat-heater at all--Ever!--I disconnected it expecting that be the end of it, but I keept getting a seat-heater icon flashing on the right side of the bike displays. Anyway of getting rid of that.

One more question: Has anyone installed more than one accessory on the two bolts (red/grd) on the top left hand corner of the fuse box?
Some folks tell me they have, some tell me them connections cannot handle much output. I need to give juice to an external GPS and Fog-lights. Someone also suggested one of them isolator fuse-box but then that is mo' mony honey, and if there is no need, then no get.
Why disconnect the seat heater? What would be the benefit?

Sounds like the diagnostics is using the icon to tell you something is wrong with the heater circuit. :nerd:
Wants you to be able to turn it on if you ever need it!

·
Registered
110 Posts

I used WAZE for the first time on my GW yesterday. The volume is very low and I could barely hear the sound on my headset.

Myradar is a fantastic app and would be very useful seeing it on the GW's screen, but unfortunately the app doesn't work with carplay.

No way as far as I know to turn the audio unit completely off. But you can mute the sound by pressing and holding the audio select button.

I never use the GW's speakers so I can't help you with that one.

As for the seat icon coming on and flashing. The GW uses a can-bus electrical system, so when the system detects that the connector is disconnected it alerts the driver of the problem. Solution is to reconnect the connector. Seems like a very simple solution to me>:).

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I used WAZE for the first time on my GW yesterday. The volume is very low and I could barely hear the sound on my headset.

Myradar is a fantastic app and would be very useful seeing it on the GW's screen, but unfortunately the app doesn't work with carplay.

No way as far as I know to turn the audio unit completely off. But you can mute the sound by pressing and holding the audio select button.

I never use the GW's speakers so I can't help you with that one.

As for the seat icon coming on and flashing. The GW uses a can-bus electrical system, so when the system detects that the connector is disconnected it alerts the driver of the problem. Solution is to reconnect the connector. Seems like a very simple solution to me/forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png.
AZ,
I reconnected the seat heater connector... nothing else can u do?

Pretty soon I am going give up on this sheety arses panel and just pluck my Android on the handlebar which works perfectly well with Waze and anything else on my apps...
Today that dumb ‘Siri’ chick couldn’t find my daughter in the phone book and kept giving info on some other issue that somewhat sounds like her name... never have this problem with Google voice on Android.

Very suckie technology that panel... reminds me of the Triumph Trophy: a disaster. And that GPS? Whose saving money idea was that? That thing works as it if was made in a sweat shop in Bangladesh.

I must say the unpopular: the beemer tech stuff is way better and user friendly. The GW has it on drivetrain though.

I ll have to cover the display panel with a pic of Nicole Smith when she was a Guess model....and let it go at that

·
Registered
3,860 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
The ShowChrome Isolator fuse box is only around $100 and is well worth the investment. I have already added to it Admore light bar, show chrome corner and driving lights+ turn signals and a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. All work well!

·
Registered
166 Posts
* I do not use the seat-heater at all--Ever!--I disconnected it expecting that be the end of it, ...
You said you, "disconnected the seat expecting that be the end of it". The end of what?

Are you saying your seat is being heated all of the time when you're riding? What do the rider and passenger seat heater indicators on the INFO 3 DISPLAY show?

Are the rider and/or passenger seat heater indicators ON (displaying 1 or more lighted segments)? Does pressing the rider seat heater button on the center panel have any affect on the number of lighted segments that are displayed on the INFO 3 DISPLAY? If pressing the rider seat heater button on the center panel repeatedly does not allow you to set the number of lighted segments to zero (none lit), you clearly have a problem that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
May try putting a route in to see if you get warning, I know it will talk to you with route in but not sure it gives warning.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can control the voice volume of waze in its own app, notification volume
turn off the seat heater by pushing the dash buttons, there is 5 settings, hottest being first...also make sure the rear seat heater is scrolled in the off position on the left saddle bag.
Go back to the dealer have have them go over the dynamics of the bike so you know it before you ride it home

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I tell you as i read all of these posts, it makes me to stop and reevaluate my 08 as of now i have no problems with it. I have satellite radio and listen to speakers inside my helmet and outside on the bike. I use the CB, navigation only as a visual map, i know where i am going. All of this hi tech stuff on these new bikes kinds of scares me along with all the problems everyone is having. Unless Honda fixes all of the problems i will stick with my 08 as of right now. (Old School)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I tell you as i read all of these posts, it makes me to stop and reevaluate my 08 as of now i have no problems with it. I have satellite radio and listen to speakers inside my helmet and outside on the bike. I use the CB, navigation only as a visual map, i know where i am going. All of this hi tech stuff on these new bikes kinds of scares me along with all the problems everyone is having. Unless Honda fixes all of the problems i will stick with my 08 as of right now. (Old School)

I feel the same way about my '09. :wink2:

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You said you, "disconnected the seat expecting that be the end of it". The end of what?

Are you saying your seat is being heated all of the time when you're riding? What do the rider and passenger seat heater indicators on the INFO 3 DISPLAY show?

Are the rider and/or passenger seat heater indicators ON (displaying 1 or more lighted segments)? Does pressing the rider seat heater button on the center panel have any affect on the number of lighted segments that are displayed on the INFO 3 DISPLAY? If pressing the rider seat heater button on the center panel repeatedly does not allow you to set the number of lighted segments to zero (none lit), you clearly have a problem that needs to be addressed.
I just did not wanted connected at all because I don't use it. I don't really want heated-seat nor radios on my bike. I found a dummy connect gadget from a suggestion here to de-activated the heat-seat

May try putting a route in to see if you get warning, I know it will talk to you with route in but not sure it gives warning.
Good idea, thanks

If your riding is limited to familiar proximities then you don't need Nav. While I am at home I never use the GPS, but in the mainland, I have to. Is either that or maps and I ain't going backwards.

I appreciate the efficacy and quality of old wings, but this new suspension and drivetrain, once you learn to use it, is much better than the old school Wing...at least for travelling long distance. I very much liked my last two Wings. Ultimately, its about choice.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
oh good gawd. dont be scared. i use my navigation fully, listen to my phone or a usb drive through my speakers or through the helmet, am able to bluetooth a phone and a headset without any umbilical cords, ask siri for restaurant recommendations or to look up phone numbers and call them, and be informed of objects on the road through waze. all with the same confidence you have. the systems work. its the users that cant figure out how to use them, and show up here looking for help. so all you see are the negatives. i didnt feel the need to post here that my last two trips went perfectly well and had i no issues with the tech. even without any of the tech...as a pure bike, this current gen is better than an 11 yr old bike. its lighter, handles better, stops better, quicker, more nimble, sexier, etc....if youre happy with your bike and not interested in a new one, more power to you. if the questions people have about this bike are scaring you away, then youre missing out on a great bike.

weve strayed off topic though. dont want another reprimand so ill leave it there

·
Registered
110 Posts
oh good gawd. dont be scared. i use my navigation fully, listen to my phone or a usb drive through my speakers or through the helmet, am able to bluetooth a phone and a headset without any umbilical cords, ask siri for restaurant recommendations or to look up phone numbers and call them, and be informed of objects on the road through waze. all with the same confidence you have. the systems work. its the users that cant figure out how to use them, and show up here looking for help. so all you see are the negatives. i didnt feel the need to post here that my last two trips went perfectly well and had i no issues with the tech. even without any of the tech...as a pure bike, this current gen is better than an 11 yr old bike. its lighter, handles better, stops better, quicker, more nimble, sexier, etc....if youre happy with your bike and not interested in a new one, more power to you. if the questions people have about this bike are scaring you away, then youre missing out on a great bike.

weve strayed off topic though. dont want another reprimand so ill leave it there
+++1 on all of that!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I agree 100%. Users seem to want to blame the system for a lack of their knowledge. This is not just specific to Carplay. Carplay is not perfect but its very nice. I am still lost on unplugging the seat, if you dont want to use it then dont push the button designed just for it. After some time with the bike most grow to enjoy it more. Be patient, there is a large learning curve.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well said Drgsin,

As a matter of fact, my CarPlay Woes post is indicative of me being an Android-Head. I have never liked Apple stuff: nor their laptops, their phones, nor certainly them goofy watches. I never even liked whathisname Steve Jobs, RIP. I thought he was a master mass-manipulator...but that's strictly a personal judgment.

Today I used the Wing GPS to go to some places I already know where they are (just to check out the GPS) and it actually wasn't too bad. Once again, I am a Garmin-head and been so for years, so another GPS format is gonna trip me off. I like taking the Garmin into the motel and entering all my addresses/stops for the next day using 'touch' instead of sitting on the bike rolling around that joy-stick.

I might still opt for just an android phone and a Garmin; one on each side to the handlebars. But I would say this system has its uses...especially if you are a Apple-head. The rap I heard all my phonic life is that apple phones are easier to use, but I don't see that. I think Samsung phones have the most user friendly menus.

I had to go see some youngsters at the shop with apple phones to even get the darn carplay to come up on the display.

HEY DRGSIN, How do you transfer routes from that Kirben (routing thingie you use) unto the bike GPS?

At any rate, enjoy your antique Wing if you would.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
It was the same song and dance when the first 2001 GL1800 came out......in late 2000.

The main difference is there was a boat-load of issues with the first GL1800.....many forget about all the problems, recalls, and TSB's but I didn't.
The 2018+ bike is amazing and doesn't have anywhere near the issues the first go-around had.
Bottom line, I enjoyed that bike a lot and enjoy my 2019 even much more.

I'm a tech geek, so I love all the modern stuff and take any warts it may have in stride. I just smile every time I walk out to the workshop and lay eyes on my beautiful motorcycle I'm lucky enough to own.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well said Drgsin,

As a matter of fact, my CarPlay Woes post is indicative of me being an Android-Head. I have never liked Apple stuff: nor their laptops, their phones, nor certainly them goofy watches. I never even liked whathisname Steve Jobs, RIP. I thought he was a master mass-manipulator...but that's strictly a personal judgment.

Today I used the Wing GPS to go to some places I already know where they are (just to check out the GPS) and it actually wasn't too bad. Once again, I am a Garmin-head and been so for years, so another GPS format is gonna trip me off. I like taking the Garmin into the motel and entering all my addresses/stops for the next day using 'touch' instead of sitting on the bike rolling around that joy-stick.

I might still opt for just an android phone and a Garmin; one on each side to the handlebars. But I would say this system has its uses...especially if you are a Apple-head. The rap I heard all my phonic life is that apple phones are easier to use, but I don't see that. I think Samsung phones have the most user friendly menus.

I had to go see some youngsters at the shop with apple phones to even get the darn carplay to come up on the display.

HEY DRGSIN, How do you transfer routes from that Kirben (routing thingie you use) unto the bike GPS?

At any rate, enjoy your antique Wing if you would.
I save the route(s) on a usb drive. each day i load the route for the day into the bike's nav. heres a tutorial i put together. there was quite a bit of trial and error to get the actual route i planned into the bike and not have the bike change it. this process works for me.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/454021-my-process-kurviger.html

as always, if anyone needs help, just message me

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,566 Posts
I've never used a iPhone before and always have used the Android phones...but after plugging an iPhone into my wing for the first time, I realized that I didn't know what I was missing with the iPhone and Car Play with the Gold Wing...it was almost like I bought a new bike again. The Android phone with the wing only lets you make phone calls....with the iPhone its a whole different game with the voice control and access to the internet, maps, music and your text messages all on the fly. I know some don't really like all the tech but the tech is one of the reasons I upgraded to the new wing...you just have to have a iPhone to get everything that what Gold Wing offers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts