GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Though I needed more room to carry stuff for wife. So decided to make what I call a carry all. The best part is only had to buy 2 reflectors and a piece of 1/2"x2 1/2"x19” flat iron. Had the rest of the stuff left over from other projects. It is 15”x35” because of the length of the scrap angle iron I had lying around. May have to go for a trailer but hopping this will give me all the needed storage space..

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KJ5IX, why yes it does. Great minds think a like!

Not sure of the size but looks similar to mine. Both even have reflectors on back corners. The main difference I see is the mounding of the platform. I wanted mine to clear the hot exhaust, so raised mine to a little higher than the hitch was and put an angle so that it tilts a little up. Hoping to have a level platform when loaded. Don't have the turn downs so needed to do some thing to compensate for the exhaust. The only other difference is the color and u know red is the fastest, to get traffic tickets, that is.

If yours, looks like it wasn't enough extra space as I notice u now have a trailer.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I actually have two trailers :eek:4: The roll-A-Home in my sig, and a Piggy for general haullin. I used the carrier tis week end on the trip to Kerrville. I made it to fit the Coleman cooler that I have had for ever, and then made a cover wrap to cover the old cooler. It holds a tone of weight, but this weekend it almost wasn't enough :shrug: had to pack for 3 of the 4 seasons, plus Monsoon.......but as long as I have bungees I can get things on and strapped down, we're off and runnin..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks good. I think I can make one like that for my trike. Sure could have used one on this trip to Kerrville.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Ah George :shock: did you see that big old Terminator lookin' Texas Longhorn back there? :eek:

You should have seen Wheels tryin to wrangle that thing last year.......:eek:4: A real sight to see; Grabbed him by the horns, and swung up on his back and rode him to a Stand Still, and there he sits Yet....... :bow::bow:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You should have seen Wheels tryin to wrangle that thing last year.......:eek:4: A real sight to see; Grabbed him by the horns, and swung up on his back and rode him to a Stand Still, and there he sits Yet....... :bow::bow:

You know, I can almost believe that. He's just that way!:eek:4:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
When you have done the type of work that I have for 32 years, you learn all too well how to handle, process, and even dish out a little Bull. That was a real easy one.;);):doorag::doorag:

·
Registered
855 Posts

Though I needed more room to carry stuff for wife. So decided to make what I call a carry all. The best part is only had to buy 2 reflectors and a piece of 1/2"x2 1/2"x19” flat iron. Had the rest of the stuff left over from other projects. It is 15”x35” because of the length of the scrap angle iron I had lying around. May have to go for a trailer but hopping this will give me all the needed storage space..
Looks great! I started to do the same thing but ended up buying a trailer.

Would you be interested in this bag? It's really heavy duty and brand new in the box. $75 shipped?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/267/10792/ITEM/Classic-Accessories-Rear-Weather-All-Bag.aspx

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks sofadriver, but plan to use one of our smaller suit cases we have, rapped in a small tarp.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It holds a tone of weight, but this weekend it almost wasn't enough :shrug: had to pack for 3 of the 4 seasons, plus Monsoon.......but as long as I have bungees I can get things on and strapped down, we're off and runnin..[/quote]

How much weight can be put on the hitch ????

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Don't know about the CSC but a MT will carry 137#'s of stuff on the receiver, with the carrier that I made..:shock: I loaded it down to the point that we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies, when I went to Ark to pick up the Roll-A-Home. I had to carry every thing needed for the 4 day stay, and the trip up.... Had things bungee'd, and strapped every where, up to over the trunk, and had bungees on trunk rack to keep it all from falling backwards..........:eek:4: I cant remember if I took any pics of that trip up, cause we spent the better part of 2.5 hours getting it all on, ans tied down.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CSC says 50# tongue weight and 400# tow weight.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
CSC says 50# tongue weight and 400# tow weight.
There is a BIG difference in what you can hang off a piece of flat bar and what you can hang on a piece of box tubing. Bending strength is WAY different.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IR Harry, if I understand your post about bending of flat stock Vs box is that there is a difference on the pressure required to bend them Vs their weight. Box is much stronger if the box weighs the same as the flat stock.
But I think the question was about how much could be carried. So to me we are back to the tongue weight being the thing to work with. I assume that the carry all could safely carry more than the tongue weight recommended limit, but could be wrong, as the forces would be different than a trailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts