GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the space is limited on the GL1800, but for piece-of-mind, does any of you riders carry your own tie-downs,
just in case your baby has to be hauled by some road assistance that wouldn't have the proper soft straps to ty down your ride?

Those handle bar wraps Hal sells look like they could be folded easy.

Everytime I go to Wally World and see some straps, and always wondered if they would be a good investment for future towing.

Cheers !

·
Registered
768 Posts
Mike,

I always keep two soft ties and two rachets straps on board. You need them if you take the ferry across Lake Michigan. Walmart sells them as well.

Mike
03ILB

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I hope you never need to call Rescue Plus for a tow but if you do don't count on the wrecker/flatbed to have soft ties with them.
Always carry a pair or two. I carry two rolled up and shoved way in the back of the saddlebag under the taillight.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I carry two tiedowns with soft-ties "built in." So far, I've loaned them out - never used them myself.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It comes from the plant with tie downs on the crash bars - so why would it hurt to put tie downs there again - better than on the bars.
I don't carry them with me - too answer your question.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Beaware to look at the load limit of the soft Ties (Strap extenders) Do not use the 600 to 800 lbs straps as they are not strong enough for the GL. The one you find at wal-mart are ment for ATV's and Dirt Bikes, Just FYI.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Anything will help if you ever need it, but I don't carry straps, and here's why.

By the time you put all the things on your bike that would help in a break down situation, there wouldn't be any room left on the bike for luggage. There are compressors and so many tools and other items that can help in a pinch that at some point you have to say enough is enough. I only carry the things that are the most likely to be needed. Straps aren't one of them.

I carry a small compressor, cleaner and towel for the windshield, a first aid kit, travel bike cover, rain gear and have replaced all of the Honda tools with as many tools as I can fit in a leather bag in the cubby hole where the CD changer goes. Those necessities alone occupy quite a bit of storage space. I would like to carry more, but that is what I have decided is my limit.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I cary 2 sets also. I only buy Ancra brand. Blues are for dirt bikes. Reds or blacks for big bikes. Brought a Voyager 1200 back to Ohio from Kansas City. Just like Ronco, Set 'em and forget'em

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I do in my trailer, but not on te bike itself, may have to re-think it, not a bad idea...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
DGM said:
I hope you never need to call Rescue Plus for a tow but if you do don't count on the wrecker/flatbed to have soft ties with them.
which is why you should make sure the towing company has them. Ask the RP rep to confirm with the wrecker company that they have tie downs. The Rep tells them a bike needs to be towed and they automatically think "crotch rocket," not big huge wing with plastic all around. make sure they know the bike is a fully dressed bike. Shouldnt have any probs.

I only carry one tie down with me and that is for when I go shopping and I need to tie down something on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I carry 4 soft straps, not the tiedowns. They take up almost zero space and weight. Never know when the need might arise. It is easy to get a tow truck or a roll back at 2 A.M. but it might not be motorcycle friendly.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I carry 4 soft ties with me......If I have something to carry on my back seat I loop the soft ties around the passenger handles and then use a cargo net hooked to them and the rack on the trunk...works great for dry bags, tents sleeping bags.......or watermelons or cases of soda or beer.......joy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts