GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to spot a 1 gallon jerry can while shopping today and bought it, thinking along the lines of having spare fuel for long trips into sparsely populated areas - just in case. I've used MSR fuel bottles in the past, but they are a little akward in that they love to roll around unless you find a way to stuff them in correctly with gear.

This jerry can is your typical red plastic can, but it fits into the back of the starboard saddlebag like it was made for it! (Doesn't work well in the port saddlebag, as the bag interior is a little different than the starboard one.) However, not being any sort of expert on gasoline dynamics I figured I'd ask if anyone can see a possible danger using a standard jerry can vs. camping fuel bottles. It's convenient in size and shape, but I don't want to do anything stupid.

Opinions?

G

·
0 Posts
carrying extra fuel I suppose you would blow up better when being hit by a truck

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think if I was hit by a truck, blowing up might be a relief considering the other possible alternatives. :shock:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Couple thoughts: Should you be involved in a collision and this tank bursts, it's located right next to a hot exhaust pipe.
Secondly, see you're from SLC and assume you ride into extremes in elevation - I've had good gas containers leak on my ATV due to air pressure change - Think of this happening inside your travel bag...

·
Registered
837 Posts
My biggest concern would be a rear end collision. It that can got punctured and a spark from tearing wiring, or anything else got to it, it would be like a Ford Crown Vic.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All real concerns... I think I'll stick to using MSR bottles.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
Might try wrapping the MSR bottle in a old T shirt and some duct tape, then even if it does move around some it will stay looking like new.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Where did you guys get the MSR fuel bottle.? Thanks Joy

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've been thinking of getting one or two of the msr bottles. Would MC Sporting Goods or Gander Mtn. carry them? The wing tool kits are held in place by a rubber strap; could some similar arrangement be used to hold the bottles in place? I'm going to see what I can come up with when I finally get one/two. :D

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I guess I'm a little bit green here, since we have a gas station/convenient mart every 10 miles here in Indiana. But when you get well over 200 miles per tankful, why would you need to carry extra fuel? I know there must be gas closer than that anywhere in the USA. After that length of ride, most people need to stretch & or releave themselves anyway. I wouldn't think it would be advisable to carry any extra, other than what's in the tank. I suppose you ride without a helmet, & wear sandles when you ride too. :wink: Be Safe Out There!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
But when you get well over 200 miles per tankful, why would you need to carry extra fuel? I know there must be gas closer than that anywhere in the USA.

Spoken like a true easterner. :wink:

You're absolutely right, if you stick to the main roads. If you start hitting some of the less frequent roads in the desert, you can find yourself doing 200 miles pretty easily without seeing anything. Sometimes it is just a matter of going in and coming back out again, because the road you are on simply ends. If you go through out of the way places in western Canada, you can go for 500 miles or more where there are no emergency medical services - and they post signs to that affect. I don't desert travel without spare fuel, bike or truck. Anyway, I hope that answers your question.

As for where to get MSR bottles, just about any camping supply store should carry them. I like the 1 liter size, which runs about $11.

·
Registered
759 Posts
well..if you live in my neck of the woods and want to travel the great deserts..there arent gas stations every ten miles...you be lucky to find one in two hundred miles in some spots, not to mention trying to find a fuel station open at night. Long distance riders..of which I am one..carry extra fuel...go to http://www.eztank2.com/ this is one tank you can choose from..there are others. Some LD riders make their own...I did...I carry an extra 5 gallons in a fuel cell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
MSR Bottles-REI

REI has them and duck tape holds 'em down....
Ron,
Spokane

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I've carried the REI MSR bottle for the past 18 months and added a 2nd one about 2 months ago. I find it great comfort to know I always have an extra 1/2 gallon (approx.) in my side trunk. Out west it's easy to get carried away and find yourself no where close to a station or maybe they've closed on a Sunday or at night. I think it really depends upon what kind of riding you do whether spare fuel makes sense or not, but if your into a lot of distance runs that take you far from civilization it's a comfort, believe me. My side storage trunks are usually packed with optional gear so I don't have any movement of my containers.

I'm ultimately going to add an 4.7 gallon auxiliary tank for some Iron Butt and distance rides, just doing the research now on my options and the setup.

DaleC

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you find yourself in one of the remote locations that has induced you to carry spare fuel, will the 40 or so miles that you get from a one gallon container get you to a station?
As another respondent posted, check out the EZ Tank that Ron Smith designed. Five gallons can make a BIG difference in range, and you hardly know it's back there until you need it. The deserts of the southwest aren't the only places you can ride for miles without seeing a station. Someday you might find yourself riding a lot farther north than have been. :)

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
out of safety and fooling arround--i would forget the extra gas business. get off to stech the legs and get some fuel. i have never had a problem finding gas wherever i have been.

loren

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well I have run out of gas trying to get to the next exit 1 mile away. So I think its well worth it in that case. I was running with an"older" guy and my tank just seemed to empty quickly. Of couse the higher speed might have had something to do with it. :lol: Joy

S

·
0 Posts
I ran out of gas in the bad lands of South Dakota once with my Yamaha XS1100. I was less than a mile from a gas station. Lucky for me I had a gallon of Coleman lantern fuel in the trailer. Pinged like crazy but we got there OK and the bike survived also. I guess it just depends on where you are going and how barren the landscape may be. It's an awful big bike to push :?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I could never understand the need for carrying extra gasoline, especially on the 1800. Where in the USA or even in North America are the gas stations more than 250 miles apart?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe I'm just not as astute as most? But I have been caught out running low on fuel, and the station that was "supposed" to be there had gone out of business, or perhaps was closed for whatever reasons. And to me, running out of fuel, even across the street from a gas station just isn't fun. And predicting range doesn't always work too well due to wide variances due to headwinds, terrain, etc.

The gas can in the trunk has drawbacks though. The heat will force vapors out, wetting down the other items inside the trunk. I've even taped the cap and bagged the cans and taped that closed. The vapors still come out. The smell WILL get into everything!

I still like to carry extra fuel, especially when towing my trailer (reduced mileage). But I'm not going to fork out several hundred dollars for a fuel cell just for spare fuel. The bottles from REI sounds like a very good idea.

Good question - and excellent replies. Thanks for bringing it up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts