GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hows come when your meeting a bicycle and a car that is coming up behind the bicycle, the driver of the car thinks he can use my lane to pass the bike, I hate being 3 wide on a 2 lane hwy. If I was in my car or pickup they don't do it then.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
So hows come when your meeting a bicycle and a car that is coming up behind the bicycle, the driver of the car thinks he can use my lane to pass the bike, I hate being 3 wide on a 2 lane hwy. If I was in my car or pickup they don't do it then.

Partially agree. They should just run over the granola munching, bicycle pedaling traffic obstruction.:nojoke:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Partially agree. They should just run over the granola munching, bicycle pedaling traffic obstruction.:nojoke:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you can't maintain the speed of traffic, ride on the shoulder! Of course you can be a militant I have the right to be here and this is my lane cyclist, but that 6000lb SUV doing 55 will think you are just a speed bump when it rolls over you! Your call!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It seems that there are more and more of the bicyclist on the twisties up here in East TN and yes, the automobile thinks its right to cross over in a motorcyclist lane to pass for some reason, even in a curve!! I guess for some automobile drivers, there is no difference, just two objects that are in their way! :wrong: But just yesterday, I sport bike zipped out around 6 or 8 cruisers on the Foothills Parkway, heading right for me, using part of my lane to get around those going slower than him/her.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have discovered that the traffic laws for "right of way" have been completely reversed

Left on red is OK
drifting into the oncoming lane to pass an obstruction...OK
those who merge INTO traffic have right of way

it is all bassackwards these days....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah!.....But what ever you do, don't pass one of those damn 'horse carts' in Helen Georgia in a 'no passing zone' (yellow line) because the cops will give you a $125 ticket!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
552 Posts
What's makes the bicyclist think they own the road? They drive me "Nuts."

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I know the bicyclists on the forum are not going to give me much slack on this, but I'm getting tired of the hundreds and even thousands of bicycles we see on some weekends northwest of Houston. They want to have all the rights of cars, but they also want a whole lot more rights.

If the speed limit is 60-70, and a bicycle is doing maybe 15 or so, how is that supposed to work. How would they like it if they were in their car and had to follow another car doing 15 mph?

The other thing that pisses me off no end is bicycles running two or three abreast taking up the whole lane on a two lane road - coming into a blind curve. And don't get me started on the fact that they don't pay any road use taxes to ride, are not inspected for safety, require no drivers training etc.

Sorry, but too many bicyclists don't realize the danger they are putting themselves and others in. I genuinely try to see their point of view and give them a little break, but many don't deserve a break.

My apologies to those bicyclists who actually do try to ride in a manner that is safe and courteous to other motorists.

·
Registered
238 Posts
First: A road bike tire doesn't fair well on a gravel shoulder.

Second: The bike does have a right to be there. I find it funny that the same people that lament the fact that cars treat motorcyclist as second class vehicles, turn around and exhibit the same stupid a$$ attitude towards others.

Finally: There are more than a few motorcyclist that could stand to eat some granola and get of their fat butts. A 44 inch waist only works if you are 10 feet tall.

·
Registered
792 Posts
What's makes the bicyclist think they own the road?
Probably the same thing that makes motorists think they do.

When riding on a roadway, a cyclist has all the rights and responsibilities of a vehicle driver (RCW 46.61.755). Cyclists who violate traffic laws may be ticketed (RCW 46.61.750).
Shoulder vs. Bike Lane - Cyclists may choose to ride on the path, bike lane, shoulder or travel lane as suits their safety needs (RCW 46.61.770).
Up here it's a religion. I don't let it bother me. I'm not in that big a hurry. Mostly I admire the technology and athleticism. Most of the Wingers I see wouldn't last five minutes pedaling roads up here.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Finally: There are more than a few motorcyclist that could stand to eat some granola and get of their fat butts. A 44 inch waist only works if you are 10 feet tall.
By my calculations then,,,I know some folks that should be about 14 ft. tall.:lol:

·
Registered
806 Posts
It's turned into a ME world out there now days. If your in a truck it's all about ME and if your in a car the same and on a Motorcycle, well we all know the answer to that one and on a bike well all that traffic is just in MY way. Althou I think that bicycle riders don't think that any of the traffic laws apply to them other than the speed limit as I have never seen where one of them got a ticket for speeding (70 MPH in a 55 zone).

·
Registered
245 Posts
The way I've always been taught is:

1) pedestrians have the right of way first

2) bicycles are next

3) motorized vehicles

But.....while riding on the BRP last weekend from Cherokee to Grandfather Mountain, there were a lot of bicyclists on the road. From a safety point of view, I think either the bicycles or the cagers should be banned. i.e. Motorclyclist comes around a curve to find a cage passing a bicycle, who gets to eat grass or gravel??? It's just plain, common sense, dangerous!!

Just my $.02

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think its BS.
if I have to get tags and insurance, so should a bicycle...if they are going to ride on the road

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
If you counted all the traffic in NW Iowa it would add up to 12 vehicles. Relax:yes1:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
First: A road bike tire doesn't fair well on a gravel shoulder.

Second: The bike does have a right to be there. I find it funny that the same people that lament the fact that cars treat motorcyclist as second class vehicles, turn around and exhibit the same stupid a$$ attitude towards others.

Let's review the facts again: 70 mph speed limit, 15 mph bicycles. You do the math. There is a term called "normal flow of traffic". Bicycles don't.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't mind the bikes, it's the people in the vehicles that think they can use my lane to pass in. Although I did get chewed out by a bicycle rider, he didn't like how quiet my wing is, liked the loud bikes cause he could hear them coming:wrong:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Use the Good 'Ole Boy's Rule

The "Good 'Ole Boy's Rule" is the one with the biggest vehicle has the right-of-way.
If you lose, "you lose" :eek:4:

·
Registered
77 Posts
You folks don't know anything about having to worry about bicyclists till you have had Ragbrai come through your area. It is an Iowa tradition and probably about the largest organized ride period. They start on one side of the state and ride till they dip their tire in the river on the other side. Folks from all over the world come for it and its pretty amazing. Lance Armstrong is back once again to partake in it. I don't think he parties like the majority does but its kind of neat to hear those that have met him. My only pet peeve is some ride 3 abreast or more on the highway and thats an accident waiting to happen. I'm suprised we don't have more accidents or fatalities to be honest with the sheer number of riders who partake in it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts