GL1800Riders Forums banner

Casa Grande RTE

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  david vaughn 
#1 ·
Debbie and I watched a fun episode of Arizona Highways the other day, which was mainly focused on the Casa Grande area. We looked at each other wondering the same thing, when are we going for a little scoot to check out the area?

With around 6" of white moss (snow) headed our way this week, I think that would be a good time to climb into Google Earth and go see what's there to do...

And yes, Steve, it's only a short ride for both of you!

- David

ps - Steve F if you really miss shoveling that Illinois snow, come on up on Thursday and you are more than welcome to clean out our 100' driveway...:grin2:

#2 ·
I've tried a couple of times to do this, but...too many didn't want to ride far, or were less-than-impressed about the choices available for lunch.

As you know, the surrounding areas are farms - a LOT of farms.

Depends on when you're thinking about doing this, I suppose.

#5 ·
David, thanks for the invite, but we're expecting visitors and family for the next week and have a lot to get done and prepare for. We were just in Casa Grande week and a half ago, drove there and didn't ride to visit some friends that live out that way (snow birds).
I AM however thinking about a ride down to the Titan Missile Museum that's somewhere near Green Valley on I-19 (I'm pretty sure you know where it is). That I'm afraid would be an over-nighter for you "northern folks". You know, ever since we left Illinois, my back doesn't hurt as much....Hmmmmm. How's your back holding up???? Don't over-do it!

#6 ·
All - no date set for the Casa Grande RTE, but I was starting to focus on Bedillions Restaurant.

Reference the farms, I'm not concerned with them in the slightest. From 2013-2017 we lived in NW Missouri, and we were surrounded by nothing but farms. During field prep, the roads were littered with tractors of various sizes along with the needed field plows and field nutrient sprayers. During planting season, the roads were littered with tractors of various sizes along with the needed field plows and seed injectors. During harvesting season, not only were the roads littered with tractors of various sizes along with the needed hoppers, balers, etc, but one would really need to be on the lookout for the COMBINES! Those were scary...

Not to mention the onslaught of the seed trucks and trailers rolling along in light speed 23' directly behind us with a load of grain.

But the absolute worst were the cattle trucks with a load of Big Mac's rolling down the highway. I quickly, VERY quickly learned to get around them immediately, or to stay at least 2.3 parsecs behind the rig.

Steve, thus far my back is fine. Friday morning will be another matter altogether. And yes, I wouldn't mind wandering down to the Titan exhibit with ya. It looks like a fun thing to see, not to mention The Wisdom's Cafe is not too far away...

gv550 - will do on the invite! How many times have you tamed the Apache Trail to Tortilla Flat thus far? Another fun day ride for ya would be Hwy 60 east towards Superior, south to Hayden/Winkleman, north to Globe, then west back to AJ. And while in Globe, make sure to stop at Chalo's Mexican food for some truly mind-blowing desert southwest sonoran mexican food! There's also a fun little shop near Chalo's in downtown Globe, called Pickle Barrel Trading Post. Lots of cool, southwestern themed stuff to pick up. One could also ride to Roosevelt Lake having lunch (or breakfast) at F Finch's Waterfront Kitchen. Nice place to gaze out over the water while sitting either inside or outside on the multi-purposed patio.

- David

#8 ·
Just being curious, but we lived a short time in Gallatin MO (2013-2017) before returning to AZ. I rode with quite a few riders throughout Missouri, but can't recall if we've shared the road before or not?? I was always hunting for a good BBQ joint and while I was told of several in The City, we never seemed to make it to them. I did find and quickly became enamored with Tub Creek BBQ in Cameron, along with Shatto Milk nearby. Another favorite was Dino's Diner in both Cameron and Trenton. Those raspberry creme pies from Gingrich's Bakery in Jamesport really did a number on my tastebuds.

We made many dear friends while in Gallatin and miss both them and the surrounding area. Hannibal MO was a favorite location for us, one we made many times.

Methinks it's time for a return trip just to have some good eatin'!!

- David

#9 ·
Due to many intervening functions this time of year, I think it best we wait until after the New Year before we carry out the Casa Grande RTE.

January / February are our normal months for winter precipitation, so it also depends on the amount of white moss we have on the roads in which we can go safely riding.

More later,

- David

#13 ·
One week?! You're like a newby retiree! Yeah, we need to get you out there!

I'm looking at a ride to Salome later this week, possibly Friday (Feb 7) for a pre-RTE event another group I'm involved in will be doing very soon. Salome Restaurant is the destination. Anyone been there? Care to share your thoughts about the food/service? I love older mom-n-pop eateries!

- David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.