GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently seen an ad from a relatively new dealer advertising a cash voucher redeemable for $10,000.00 after 36 months from date of purchase. The story...... buy a 'Wing for retail of $18,999 and receive a $10,000 cash voucher to be redeemed in 36 months. There is a 7 day "window" for the voucher to be mailed and postmarked to be valid. I've never heard of something like this and just curious. Do the math..... new 'Wing for $18,999 minus $10,000 makes it $8,999. Mama says, "If it sounds too good to be true, most likely it is." Whuddayathink? :wink:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Follow the asterisk to the small print. There's gotta be more to this than what is on the surface. What the name/address of the dealer?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jaydee - the word's echo in my head, "if something seems to good to be true, it probably is". I think I'll stick to the tried and true method, make your best deal (and I got a heck of a deal), pay the cash and drive the bike home....

That is not a deal that sounds legit, and there are teeth somewhere wanting to bite the takers rear.

DaleC

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
They're betting that you'll forget to redeem it in 3 years. And when you do, they win.

Plus, they're only giving a one week window (after giving you three years to forget) to do so.

I'd have it written somewhere in BIG letters when to redeem it.

They've figure the odds. And the majority of people will forget.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Lets suppose it is legit. Then the dealer in 30 months sells 40 -50 1800's and then supposedley sells dealership and it changes hands or just the name. Just a thought. How much extra has he made and does everybody else lose? :?
Also is it actually a cash $$$ voucher or a guaranteed trade in voucher? I do not know what a three year old wing will be worth, but I hope it is more than that. So that makes it a bad deal.
I have to agree with: If it looks to good to be true it probably is :roll:
A guy will just have to check it out good and use his own judgement.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
mrgl02 said:
They're betting that you'll forget to redeem it in 3 years. And when you do, they win.

Plus, they're only giving a one week window (after giving you three years to forget) to do so.

I'd have it written somewhere in BIG letters when to redeem it.

They've figure the odds. And the majority of people will forget.
Ain't that the truth! That is why rebates work so well for companies. Most folks procrastinate and never mail them in. I know I am one of the dumba**es that hardly ever do. I always forget and miss the NLT date.

They are great for those that use them, but the company makes out from people like me that probably wouldn't buy something, but can't pass up a good deal, but end up not getting such a good deal when we don't mail the stuff in. :oops:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
5Ross said:
Lets suppose it is legit. Then the dealer in 30 months sells 40 -50 1800's and then supposedley sells dealership and it changes hands or just the name. Just a thought. How much extra has he made and does everybody else lose? :?
Good point! Ain't worth crap if the dealer sells out and the new owner won't honor the deal... :x

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
OK, heres the deal.... Somebody send me a cash voucher that is worth 10 grand and give me 4 years, 3 months, 2days and 14 hours at which time I have to redeem it. Now see if I am will get it there in time. Short of accident or death, for 10 grand it will be done...... :) :) :) You can take that to the bank :lol: :lol: :lol: Now maybe a $20.00 rebate I might forget in 4 years, but not 10 grand...........

·
Registered
949 Posts
Pete - I like a person who thinks and you sound like one.

You're right about 3 yrs not being enough time to use a fixed annuity or any other "non-stock market risk" investment for that matter, given the current yield curve. And I think corporate ownership of an annuity does not enjoy tax-deferral of accrued interest like individual ownership does but I'd have to research that to be sure.

Out of curiosity I would like to see the fine print in the ad. I've already said I like people who think and just maybe this dealer has thought up a marketing strategy that's actually legit, albeit limited in it's real usefulness to the buyer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This ad was placed in the Mississippi Thunder Roads Magazine, Jan '04 edition by Big Delta Honda of Batesville, MS. When I called, the salesperson stated this was an old ad and the cash value of the voucher had been reduced to $8,000. The 36 month maturity and 7 day window still applies. Just looking for the best possible way to obtain a new 'Wing and I appreciate all of the replies. Based upon the satisfaction HDL seems to be able to deliver to the folks on this board, I suppose I should just buy from them. The ride from Miami back home would be the "icing on the cake", especially during this time of year. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a dealer in Tulsa that offers the same thing only the amount back depends on how much you pay for the bike but I believe there is one price where it is free. I have some riding friends that have spoken with the dealer and it is above board.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have also seen this type of ad from a dealer about 60 miles east of St. Louis. I'm not sure how it works but they have been running ads like these for a couple of years on bikes ranging from Suzuki GSXRs to Yamaha cruisers to Honda models. Ads here seem to imply that the buyer must finance the bike.

markie

·
Registered
816 Posts
new wing

the local dealer has an advertised price for a new wing of 14, 300. I'd do that rather than pay full retail on one and then a rebate. By the time you pay the finance charges on the extra, I don't think you are going to come out any better. Financing 5,000 for three to five years isn't cheap.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
a couple years ago there was a rebate web site that gave 100% rebates on many items. it took about 4 months to get a check back. it worked for a while. i purchased about 50 items on the site and received all of them back.

i would buy about 10 things and then wait for the checks before leaping any further. the items were overpriced by about 3 times, but ended up free.

i received my last couple checks one day, sat down to order some more stuff that night. the wen site didnt work anymore. seems that it shut down. as it turned out many folks got stuffed. i was lucky, a few more days and i would have been hit for $ 1000.

moral of the story is, this alos sounds pretty good, but someone has to make a profit on the deal. therefore i would not risk it.

if anyone does, i would sure like to hear the report about what happens.

loren

1 - 15 of 15 Posts