GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip up to Alaska - Have driven up to Haines, Alaska by car a couple of times - but I'm planning to trike it this summer. I was wondering if anyone has driven the Cassiar Highway lately? Last time I was on it, I thought it would be miserable to ride a two-wheel or three-wheel over it. But I love driving from Watson Lake down to Stewart, BC. to see the bears at Fish Creek. Any experiences with it? Thanks in advance - - Becky

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure of the current road conditions on the Cassiar,but as you might be aware we're approaching fall weather in my neck of the woods (just outside Anchorage). Termination dust (snow) has been spotted on the mountains and the leaves are turing yellow. We are also in our rainy season and the temps at night are beginning to drop. Perhaps not the ideal time for a road trip to Alaska, but many adventure this far north through September. Be prepared for cool and wet weather. Be safe and have fun.

·
Banned
939 Posts
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/driver_info/route-info/hwy37/hwy37.htm

Becky this link might help.

It is and will be an off the main path route option for some time (but you never know as a new gold fever is setting in and lots of mining potential in the area).

If you survive (LOL) you can come visit me in Juneau.

It's never as bad as they say, except for once in awhile.

Just do it!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Went up that way in 2010 on a KLR. They were paving the last portions maybe 25 miles left....North of Dease Lake. But lots of rough spots will need to be redone after they finished paving the whole road.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Went up that way in 2010 on a KLR. They were paving the last portions maybe 25 miles left....North of Dease Lake. But lots of rough spots will need to be redone after they finished paving the whole road.
Shhhhhh! You Do not want them RV's getting any new ideas to rattle or not rattle themselves up.

It has been very do-able for some time. Even back to 2003-09 there were only four or five stretches that were not "paved" and nothing more than 50km.

So now you know Becky. Now save us and delete this thread before guys in Harleys or in RV's start getting any ideas.

It is really a very long loging road but BC is more rich than you think and they got the chip board market cornered and will not easy let go of that.

It's never as bad as they say, only sometimes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi. My brother and I rode the Cassiar in 2007. I highly recomend it, far better and more scenic than the Alaska Highway to get to Watson Lake.
When we went the pavement was good and there was very little traffic.

There were three gravel patches. Two were about a mile long, hard packed and no issue. The third was an area near the Stikine river. This was a section of 10 or 15 miles that was deep, lose gravel. I was on my BMW he was on his Wing with trailer. The flaggers put us at the front of the line and we made it through without too much difficulty.

If you have time take the ride into Stewart BC. You will enjoy a great road and pass a glacier dropping into a lake right beside the highway. At Stewart drive over to Hyder Alaska and get "Hyderized". A local tradition. If you goup the road a few miles there is a viewing platform along the river run by the US Forset Service where you can watch the Grizzlies fish for salmon. It is awesome to see this up close and personal.

There is fuel at several locations but I would advise to fill up when you can. There is definetly fuel at Dease Lake, Bell 2 and a couple of places that escape me.

Have fun!

John

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm glad to hear the Cassiar Highway has improved so much in the past few years. My plan is to return to AK in 2013 to see all the stuff we missed in 2007.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cassiar is now paved

Just rode this and it has been paved, except for about 1/4mi on the south side of the Sikine River crossing. Caution here as there are still steel grate bridges.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Becky not to be the overt but ponder exposure as the known rolls in....

LOL this is not a saftey or modification issue...LOL

LOL do pull the thread.

Seriousily.

One by one, curiousity lots of room no bluff but to just leave this golden nugget out there for months and years to come. Is this wise?

Life is good. And them Canadians got that chip board thing a going on in BC.

You should stop along the way and meet a few very good people.

Sorry to be such a smartass but seriously think of the long "wild" western front. You have traveled it! Its good to share but at times nothing wrong with leaving myth about.

You really want to leave all this "happy pavement" lofting about?

Life is good. And them "good" roads and all.....

;)

Just saying and all seeing clear both side of the coin here immediate and shall we say letting the rabbit out of the hat before needed.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
May 2011 issue of rider magazine ran an article about Cassiar Highway that you can access via www.rider.com, sounds like an amazing trip and ride. I too am jealous.:congrats:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts