GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a considerable amount of riding with my 8 year old grandson. He's been riding with me since he was 6 months old. I have a totally different riding style when he's with me. I always ride like I have a bowl of goldfish on the seat and I have a hyper defensive style. With that said, any of you riders that ride with a child ever notice how the cagers react? I have yet to have anything even remotely close to a close call with a cager while riding with Jaiden. Seems like every vehicle on the road notice him and all are smiling and waving. They always give us a wide berth and are very courteous to us. Anyone else notice this? What gives? I thought they didn't see us...

Oh, not to worry, I would never, never, never ever let my guard down. I am well aware it only takes one that actually didn't see us.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hey Galute, do you any type of harness to secure him to you? I met a ERC instructor who waited till his grandkids were at least 8 and then used one of two harnesses to keep the child from falling off if he/she fell asleep. Just wondering. Thanks.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mirage47, nope, never used a harness. I did have a problem with him falling asleep when he was very young but we only did 2 or 3 mile rides back then. By the time he was 2 we were up to 20 or 30 mile rides. That is when I began stressing to him that he must stay awake and he learned very quickly that if he did not stay awake I would not let him ride. Now at 8 he has a helmet with intercom and I am constantly amazed at how many questions one person can ask in only 300 miles. :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I just started taking my 7yr old girl for rides. I think she maybe a bit nervous (thanks to grandma!). Of course she is wearing full YOUTH gear from head to toe. I'm hoping she takes a liking to it in the next couple seasons. Her brother is 5yrs old and still has a coupls hears to wait.
Don't forget that you can get the adjustable floor board risers for them:
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2371&str=4
Big Bike Parts Passenger Floorboard Risers

Make sure to ride early in the day when they are less sleepy, don't ride far and be sure to check on them often.
I'm hoping mine will want to join me for long weekend rides on the BlueRidge Parkway.

Steve

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
don't know what I think about riding with a kid 6 months old:popcorn:

·
Registered
747 Posts
No disrespect meant, but for me, taking a chance with a child...I could not live with myself if anything happened; regardless of fault.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't know what I think about riding with a kid 6 months old:popcorn:
It don't matter to me. :shrug: :popcorn:

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No disrespect meant, but for me, taking a chance with a child...I could not live with myself if anything happened; regardless of fault.
No direspect taken. To me it is no different than taking them for a ride in a car, or what about that new bicycle you bought them, or skateboard. What if something happens? What if, what if, what if, what if...........................

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bungee Cord

Had a friend from just across the state line visit with his 7 year old son. The boy got bored so for safety on the way home his dad bungee corded him to himself. Kinda dumb but sure looked funny and safer than nothing at all. Dad is gonna wait till he's a little older for the next long ride

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when are you buying the boy a 50cc. :lol:
Actually. We did the 50cc thing when he was 2. I put training wheels on it and taught him to ride it by tieing a rope onto the back and letting him pull me around the yard so he couldn't get away from me. I adjusted the training wheels so the back tire didnt get a lot of traction and it would just spin the rear tire when I wanted him to stop. He outgrew the 50cc by the time he was 5 and moved up to a Honda 80cc Hot Wheels edition dirt bike.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok gramps

i want to know hopw many of those questions did you know the answer to ??
Welllll.... fortunately for me, the questions usually come fast enough that I don't have to answer a lot of them before we move on. ;)

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
My kids started late in riding 10 and 12. i have had no problem with them on the back. the rides are usually around town and only about 10 to 15 minutes. but just in case i carry 3'000'000 tp

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My daughter was riding with me when she was 6.she is now 14 and we have had no problems,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Ever thought what would happen to the child wearing a "child riding belt" in an accident?
Your weight would probably crush them after you left the bike and landed.

Best investment I made was a headset. You can stay in constant communication with your child, and know if when they are getting tired, talk about the ride, and what to look forward to.

Each child is different, some are ready to ride earlier than others.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
My oldest son started riding with me when he was 2, and now rides his own goldwing and we had the pleasure of him riding with us to Alaska, somethings are priceless.

My grand daughter started riding hot wheels when she was shy of 2 and now at 7 rides her own razor. I bought two Honda scooters so Nana and I can ride with her and spend quality time, she is not allowed to ride unless one of us ride with her and yes she knows the traffic laws that apply to her riding here.

You should see the smiles on peoples face when they see us riding together. I think more people should get their kids out from in front of the TV and spend quality time with them to help shape their characters you can have such a hugh impact on who your grandchildren grow up to be.

Yes their is a risk but life is full of risk if you removed your kids from all risk they sure would have a boring life. The police have been called once and when they got here and saw her safety gear and talked to her and were surprise at her awareness they said you all have fun and be careful

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
ok gramps

i want to know hopw many of those questions did you know the answer to ??
MY grandson has a shirt that says, "Dads are pretty smart but grampas knows EVERYTHING!"

1 - 20 of 57 Posts