GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer came in for a service yesterday. His front pads had noticeably thick lining on them. In looking to figure out how the manufacture was able to do that, I noticed that the backing plate that supports the pads was noticeably thinner. Caution come from noticeable heal - toe wear already viewable on the new pads. Although his pads at this point are safe, it may not be long before sever heal - toe wear will deem those pads no good. A thin backing plate gives poor support to the lining and can greatly affect pad life. On the OEM pads, our backing plate is very thick and the pads thin to give the pad the support it needs for a more even wear.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A customer came in for a service yesterday. His front pads had noticeably thick lining on them. In looking to figure out how the manufacture was able to do that, I noticed that the backing plate that supports the pads was noticeably thinner. Caution come from noticeable heal - toe wear already viewable on the new pads. Although his pads at this point are safe, it may not be long before sever heal - toe wear will deem those pads no good. A thin backing plate gives poor support to the lining and can greatly affect pad life. On the OEM pads, our backing plate is very thick and the pads thin to give the pad the support it needs for a more even wear.

Good to know.

I always stick with OEM pads as I feel they are the best all around performer for braking in the cold, heat, wet, and dry. They also have reasonable life.

Between all of my bikes it's surprising that OEM pads are pretty reasonably priced.

The exception being my Super Tenere as somehow Galfer has their name stamped on the front discs and the pads are about 2x what they should cost.

TMI, sorry….

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Good eye, Greg!

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
dont need no dam brakes ! go ! go ! go ! ;) always give n take when you get away from oem!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Good to know.

I always stick with OEM pads as I feel they are the best all around performer for braking in the cold, heat, wet, and dry. They also have reasonable life.

Between all of my bikes it's surprising that OEM pads are pretty reasonably priced.

The exception being my Super Tenere as somehow Galfer has their name stamped on the front discs and the pads are about 2x what they should cost.

TMI, sorry….
I never had to replace the pads on my Super Tenere. They wore like iron.
Wore out three horns, though.

:shock:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Greg, what brand were the pads ? My personal choice for pads are the Vesrah pads from Traxxion.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Pretty poor idea to said Ebay parts are no good...It has to do more with the seller than ebay..I have got many good deals on OEM parts on ebay..

·
Vendor
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up Greg, what brand were the pads ?
I don't know and he didn't know. He also could not remember what he paid for them. Surprisingly, they where not noisy. The thickness of the backing plate was about 1/2 that of OEMs, and the pad thickness for the front was like that of the rears. He did says that when he installed them on his Wing, he could hardly "free spin" his front tire.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I don't know and he didn't know. He also could not remember what he paid for them. Surprisingly, they where not noisy. The thickness of the backing plate was about 1/2 that of OEMs, and the pad thickness for the front was like that of the rears. He did says that when he installed them on his Wing, he could hardly "free spin" his front tire.

Lack of free spin doesn't have anything to do with the pad material. It is caused by pushing dirty pistons into the calipers while installing new pads. Forcing dirty pistons into the calipers will stick, over heat and drag. When we were road racing, it was normal for us to clean the caliper/pistons on our race bikes after every race weekend. Sticky pistons are famous for causing brake drag which simply robs horsepower, builds addtional heat and excessive wear. It is extremely important to clean off the cruddy buildup (I use a tooth brush and simple green) off the pistons with a good cleaner before you shove them into the caliper seals. We have a special spacer that we use so we can pump the pistons most of the way our to make them easier to clean. I know we are talking race bike and touring bike but the same principals apply. My $.02

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just installed some Vesrah pads, so far better than oem....

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Are these the Traxxion flavor of the Vesrah's?
The current Vesrah pads Traxxion is selling are standard Vesrah and not made to Traxxion specs. IMHO still better that OEM, got them in my bike.

·
DSI Keeper
9,158 Posts
The current Vesrah pads Traxxion is selling are standard Vesrah and not made to Traxxion specs. IMHO still better that OEM, got them in my bike.
Thanks, that is the first report how well they do. I just have one full set left, of the Traxxion pads. Running OEM right now and it is amazing how much grit they put out in a short time I have used them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As with anything you get on Ebay ya gotta be careful. They have what appears to be amazing deals on brake pads by who the hell knows manufacturers. Don't screw around with obscure brake brands, Stick with what you know....OEM, EBC, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts