GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
A word of CAUTION here in the corn belt states on your fall rides.

Lots of farm equipment out there making turns without signals, and most can't see cycles over those big wagons.

Give them lots of room when towing loads of corn, soybeans down the highways.

Ride Safe !

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Excellent advice! Watch for combines coming out of fields and movement around the semi's pulling grain trailers along the side of the road, too. As always, ride safely. :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes, very good advice. You need to watch for antelope also.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I always heard we have to watch out for Deer, Debris and Dumb A$$es... I never knew it was John Deere! :shock:

:lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
You have it all wrong....

Home, Home on the range, there's cold beer and the ***** is strange. :wink:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Harvest time rides

Great info, was out yesterday with a group and we passed at least two combines,numerous tractor graincart combo, and lots of loaded grain trucks. There were a few roadside piles of soy beeans and corn that could have been as slippery as loose gravel. Let's be safe out there. Tom

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yepper... even our normally deserted farm to market roads have a few surprises right now.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Haven't seen a dead deer on the road since last year and saw three this weekend.

Bradford

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Farmer's and their equipment around here are hard working people, but dawg.........why can't they invent some type of directional device for traffic behind them.
When they make those left turns into driveways and fields, there's know way they can see what's behind them.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Combines, tractors and other farm equipment have yellow flashing lights that also have a turn signal built into them. When we turn left for example the left lights will flash and the right ones just stay lite, no flashing, and the opposite if we turn right. The hardest part is for us to remember to turn them off because they don't self cancel. They have real good mirrors, but there are blind spots and with every thing thats going on while were driving it's easy to loose sight of a car let alone a bike, even if it's got alot of lites on it.

A bare combine is 15ft wide and one with a head on is 30 ft or more wide, that's why we carry our bean head on a trailer when we move down the road.

One thing you can do is not to pass us if you can see a farm or field driveway coming or at an intersection because you just don't know when we might turn into one of our fields. It also helps if you follow for a little while so we get a chance to see you and myself when I see you I will pull over on the shoulder as far as I can to let you pass.

When your sitting 10ft up above the road things look a lot different than they do from the seat of a wing. Take my word for it I ride in both places. Harvest is a very stressful time for the farmer, we are trying to get our crop out before mother nature takes it away from us. We probaly put in to many hrs. in doing so, but the last thing we want to do is hurt somebody or get our equipment smashed so we cann't work.

Sorry it got long but I hope it will help some understand the farmers side of things JUST BE SAFE OUT THERE

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Don't forget coming around a nice twisty and seeing piles of mud clods from where the combine exited the field!! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Not problem here in Texas. It didn't rain this year, so nobody grew anything. ;( Nothing to harvest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts