GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend on 412 turnpike from Tulsa to I-35 the road buckled from the heat. A motorcyle rider was lounch a hundred and fifty feet before loosing control and crashing. Rider is in serious condition :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This weekend on 412 turnpike from Tulsa to I-35 the road buckled from the heat. A motorcyle rider was lounch a hundred and fifty feet before loosing control and crashing. Rider is in serious condition :eek:4:
We had that happen here in Michigan a few weeks ago with I-69 buckling from the heat. Luckily no one was injured but they had it on the news where a couple cages left marks on the road where they bottomed after landing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I heard about that on the new's. Really bad deal. I sure hope the rider will be alright. It happened about 30 mile's from here. The Cimmaron Turnpike (412) is a really crappy road. Especially for a road you have to pay to travel on. Been in Oklahoma since 1983, and I'm still amazed at how sorry the road's are. They're always' under construction. And they always' suck. When you cross into any of the border state's, in any direction. You'll see immediate improvement. Unless you have to, I would suggest that anyone traveling. To just skip passing thru Oklahoma.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
WAS IN OHIO COUPLE YEARS AGO ON RT 77 IN CANTON THE METAL EXSPANSION JOINT WAS POPPED UP IN SLOW LANE I HAD JUST MOVED OVER MUST HAVE BEEN 15 CARS PULLED OVER WITH FLAT TIRES ROAD LOOKED LIKE SPIKES AT RENTAL CAR LOT IF TRYING TO LEAVE WRONG WAY :eek:4: WAS MY LUCKY DAY

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Same thing has happened to I35 in MN this year due to the extreme heat. Winter raises heck with the roads too. :doorag:

·
Registered
758 Posts
I 75 southbound

Back in the mid 70s on a Honda 500 Four I launched off one of the buckles in mid August. You could hardly see for all the dust in the air from the vehicles launching, landing and loosing the dirt and debris lodged up under the chassis.
Afterwards I thanked the Lord it was a ramp in my direction of travel and not a curb per say buckled up the other way.
Seen others but never as bad as that one.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Oklahoma Road Conditions

That brings up a good question. In today's where lawyers sue for any and everything....these roads are FEDERAL roads but the tolls you pay are to the State of Oklahoma....my wife is from OK and this has always chapped me badly....paying the state to ride on a road that my federal taxes are paying for also. Who do you sue for this dangerous road condition? The State or the Federal Government....both?

·
Registered
307 Posts
South of Dallas getting off I-45 South onto I-20 east there was a slight buckle that sent me and the SO up about 6 inches. Scared me but scared her worse.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In Indiana, the toll road is now owned by a foreign corporation. It remains to be seen if any maintenance is done or all the toll proceeds depart this country. Kind of hard to press legal actions against a foreign corporation.

This will become the norm as our country is sold off piece by piece to foreign investors for a short term infusion of cash.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
It has been really hot with little rain in Oklahoma and Texas this year. Some roads are now in need of repair. On country roads especially- ride toward the center because this damage usually starts on the outside of the lane

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ok Roads

Yep, the most severe dry conditions in June in history.
Going to Houston today and I told my wife we were riding the bike and she said ok...I said "It is supposed to be 105" You can ride the bike, I am going in the car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In Indiana, the toll road is now owned by a foreign corporation. It remains to be seen if any maintenance is done or all the toll proceeds depart this country. Kind of hard to press legal actions against a foreign corporation.

This will become the norm as our country is sold off piece by piece to foreign investors for a short term infusion of cash.
Will probably soon look like the BP stations or the Econolodges...

·
Registered
92 Posts
By the way. I understand the guy was in full gear AGATT. He said he wouldn't have a face if he hadn't been wearing a full face helmet. Slid down the highway kissing the pavement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts