GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, I just put three nice chips in the paint of my white, pristine, 2 year old HJC Symax 3.

My '19 Gold Wing Tour is only 4 days old (I came from a '14 BMW R1200RT with OEM (large) topcase.

I put the HJC modular helmet (size Large) in the Wing's topcase left of centre. I know the Wing's topcase is smaller than my RT's and I know it's smaller than the topcase of my '07 Wing.

Anyway, I carefully closed the lid on the helmet, and it looked (and felt) like the lid would close, so I gave the topcase lid a medium-light rap and it didn't close. The pressure was enough to put three nice chips in the helmet's paint.

Good thing it wasn't a Schuberth or Neotec 2.

Totally my fault. Just a word of warning to other new generation Wing owners.

So we're off helmet shopping this afternoon. :)

Tim

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, 'we' are a little obsessive-compulsive. :smile2:

I've been riding for 41 years, and have purchased a new helmet every 4-5 years. In all that time, this is only the second helmet I've damaged the finish.

Now that I'm retired, I have been told it's my patriotic duty to spend my savings to help the economy, and do my small part in pulling our municipal, provincial and federal governments out of debt.

I'm trying, guys. Really. :)

Tim

·
Banned
435 Posts
I wear a XXL Schuberth C3 Lite. I put my helmet in my top case all the time. That's where I typically store the helmet when I'm riding at stop somewhere other than my home. Helmet fits fine. I do have the floor mat, which provides a nice cushion of the helmet so it's not sliding around on the bare plastic.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
My xl Aria Signat Q will fit on it's side but only if I take out the carpet liner first.

And i have to take off the Sena unit as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I put full face Shoei and a modular both in the box, not a scratch, they need to go in a way it all fits. Yes its small, so when I ride 2 up, I use the lid-locks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just lined my removable trunk with some adhesive felt sheets that I got off of ebay. 10 sheets (~8"x12") for 10 bucks. I didn't try to cover every inch, just the major areas that a helmet would touch. It worked well. Will have to see how it lasts .... No affiliation, etc.

P.S. With those itty bitty new trunks, you guys might only need 5 sheets! :) :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caydo-10-Pieces-Black-Adhesive-Back-Felt-Sheets-Fabric-Sticky-Back-Sheets-8-3-b/183651010719?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
581 Posts
I occasionally put my J-Cruise in the trunk. I do have to remove the Sena and lay the helmet on the side and I do not have the trunk liner nor anything under the helmet. The only problem I've experienced so far was the trunk lid once did not want to open easily. I had to bump it a tad hard to get it to open, but it did. Now I just make sure that the helmet is positioned properly and the lid closes easily. When I do that, there hasn't been any issue with opening the trunk nor have I had any chips in the helmet's surface.

I tried to like the Honda helmet lock system, but it's proven to be problematic more so than expected. I've adjusted it once, but now it appears that I need to adjust it again and/or lubricate the cable/mechanism. As a consequence, I tend to either leave the helmet sitting on the passenger seat or put it in the trunk (when not on extended trips where I use the trunk for storage).

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have the HJC IS Max modular helmet and it fits if I get it in the right position.
Sometimes if I get the trunk closed, the trunk lid is not straight, I guess it latches on one side and not the other, so I have to reposition the helmet. I don't slam it down, I push it gently because I don't want to damage any thing.

I hate that the trunk is smaller because I now cannot buy the trunk mat, then my helmet would not fit at all.
I am sure it is getting some marks in it, but I guess I don't mind as much as others do.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very sorry about what happened. May I suggest you take a look at Lidlox?
Thanks for the Lidlox suggestion. Cool device, but not something I'd likely never buy.

Interesting that in all my many years of riding (and with bikes fitted with large topcases), I have seldom felt the need to put my helmet in the topcase. I normally just leave my helmet sitting on the saddle. I have never, ever had problems with people messing with my bike, helmet, GPS or other things left on the bike.

But I always find it interesting to see the variety of new devices for motorcycle riders.

Tim

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Do you buy $1000 helmets (Neotec 2 w/SRM)?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No. As much as I'd like to buy a Neotec 2 or Schuberth C3/C4, they just don't fit me.

I replaced the (relatively) inexpensive HJC Symax 3 I damaged with an even less expensive HJC IS Max 2. For the price of these HJCs, I could potentially wear them for 2 years and replace it with a new one and be at about the same annual cost of owning a Schuberth or Neotec 2 and replacing it every 5 years. :)

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts