GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw info here one time about where to buy/build an adapter to convert the Honda style CB antenna plug to PL259 type, so I can connect to a normal SWR meter, but I can't recall the info (getting old?)

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's the RadioShack part numbers for what you'll need to make the adapters:

2780117 BNC PLG-MOTO socket $3.59

2780120 BNC to SO239 adapter $3.49

2780121 BNC to PL259 adapter $3.49

2780208 PL259 to Motorola adapter $1.99

2780968 RG58/U Cable Assy. $4.99

2100952 SS Whip for just $2.99 (Only if
you make a mistake and need one.)

Hope this helps,
Milt

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Milt.

I'm off to see the wizard ..... errr ... the Radio Shack man! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried buying the pieces from Radio Shack - spent $35 and didn't end up with anything that worked. In addition, some of the part numbers specified were not available in the half dozen Shacks I went to. Bought a cable set from Sierra Electronics at the Mississippi Rally for $12. That's the way to go.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Can the dealer ?

Can the dealer check the SWR ? Hey they are selling them they shoul dhve the expertise to set them too ! Well you would think so anyway.
On second thought ? NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ! LOL :oops:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I also bought everything I needed at Radio Shack and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, got everything I needed at Radio Shack, got my wife's CB installed and tuned today. Perfect SWR on channel one, rising to just below 1.3 on channel forty. I maybe could have made it better, but I'm happy with that, for now. Wound up cutting about 5/8" off the top section (Thats REALLY tough stuff!). Took just under four hours, total.

Family matters to attend to now, but I'll get mine installed tomorrow. I expect that mine will take less than three hours, now that I know how to remove the top housing. I have a shop manual ordered, but it didn't get here yet, so I had to "think" my way throught it. Man, thinking hurts! :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Ruben said:
I thought I saw info here one time about where to buy/build an adapter to convert the Honda style CB antenna plug to PL259 type, so I can connect to a normal SWR meter, but I can't recall the info (getting old?)

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA
Here is all you need: Pictures, part numbers, and instructions. Compliments of Stu-O:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all.

I got both CB's installed this weekend (the second went LOTS faster than the first, just slightly over two hours), and they work great.

We are using AirRider headsets, and the mike on my wifes appears to be a bit "hot", in that she drives it into clipping easily (I think she "projects" too much). I tend to talk in a normal voice, and she says mine works perfect. I've got her moving her mike almost three inches away from her mouth, but I believe the signal to noise ratio would be better if she had it next to her mouth. Anyone know of a way to "turn down" the mike gain?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ruben,
I just bought a three foot jumper coax and a male and female motorola plug/jack, cut the coax in the middle and soldered the motorola pieces on the cut ends of the cable. Screw the normal pl259 ends onto the swr meter and it gives you a motorola male and female end for the hookup to the gl1800 cables.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shooter Indy said:
How much of a difference does the 'tuning' make??

Shooter Indy
I never tried it for distance without the tuning, but from my "ham" (KB0AF) experience, I know that you want a reasonable SWR, not only for good transmission output, be to ease the heat disappation of the final output transistors in the transmitter section.

The stock Honda antenna, as delivered is a bit too long. My initial SWR was about 1.5 on channel one, over 2.0 at channel forty. I expect to mostly use channel one, with maybe some channel 19. I wound up cutting about 5/8" - 3/4" off the bottom of the top section, which gave me a perfect 1.0 SWR on channel one, and about 1.3 on channel forty. If I were going to run the upper channels much, I'd clip another 1/8" or so off, but I'm happy with mine the way it is, for the way I intend to use it.

A dremel type tool with a cutoff wheel is almost a necessity for cutting the antenna, although I guess one could use a three corner file to score it, then snap it off with two pair of pliers.

Anyway, back to your question, I doubt that it makes much difference in transmission range, no difference is reception range, but that your radio would likely last longer with proper antenna tuning.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
How much of a difference does the 'tuning' make??

Shooter Indy
It depends on the state of tune (resonant frequency) of your antenna, if it is reasonably tuned, it won't make much, if any, difference, if it is way out of tune, it could make a tremendous difference.

If installed properly, your antenna should be in a usable state, not great...but not too bad.

John
WB5ONL

·
Registered
177 Posts
SWR wire

Go to Radio Shak and buy a radio antenna wire extension. Now you have two of the ends you need to make this work. Cut the wire in half and install the ends you need to plug into your meter.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
One other SWR tuning tip. If you need to shorten the antenna (and they all seem to start out too long): Use a grinder or sander to shorten the antenna a little at a time until you get to where you need to be. Much easier than trying to use a hacksaw to cut very short sections off of the mast as you tune.

Shottoer: another answer to how important is SWR is "not very". Most of the installations seem to be between 1.25 and 2.5 or so out of the box and that is probably "good enough" to use unless you are trying to squeeze that last 1/4 mile range on a noisy day. Not something that is real important for the way most use the CB.

Many of us here are way too anal about SWR just like we are way too anal about oil, tires, polishes, etc. It must be part of the "wing thing".

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Re: SWR wire

ezmac said:
Go to Radio Shak and buy a radio antenna wire extension. Now you have two of the ends you need to make this work. Cut the wire in half and install the ends you need to plug into your meter.

This is the best solution I have seen yet! Prob the least expensive too. The only prob I see is for inexperienced people trying to add the PL-259s to the cable. :wink:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When you make these adapters, be sure you keep the leads as short as possible, use quality cable and connectors, and check the SWR as accurately as possible. Often times just a person standing next to the antenna being checked will change the SWR. Also, it is a good idea to recheck outside of the garage after initial adjustment. A low SWR will make your CB much happier. It doesn't have to work as "hard" due to the mismatch, and you will not be wasting RF energy as heat. High SWR can also cause other problems such as RF in the audio circuits. Normally in the low power CB radio types, it is not noticed, but in higher powered rigs such as ham radio setups, you can get what is know as "RF Bite" from mikes, etc. Hi SWR can also cause distorted audio output due to RF feedback in the audio circuits. This often happens also with "cheap" coax, like that sold by Radio Shack. Good quality coax has a full covering of braid inside, and also foil around the center insulator. Cheap stuff is so thin that you can actually "see thru" the braid. Transmitter power loss is as follows: (these are theoretical losses, and do not take into account any other factors)
1:1.2 .8% loss
2:1 11% loss
3:1 25% loss
6:1 50% loss
Obviously, an 11 percent loss does not seem like much. But when your CB has a 2 or 3 watt output, it may effect the distance performance. Add this to the "foldback" that the finals will do if SWR gets too high, and the loss becomes significant. Hope this helps a little.....

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I don't have the part # but when I went to radio shack they had adapters that screwed directly onto the SWR meter & fit the honda ends!!!...chuck..

·
Banned
75 Posts
Does anyone know what the hex screw on the piece between the transmit and receive mast does? (not the 2 holding the transmit whip. Also is rust an issue after cutting the mast in the base?

Con Wieland

1 - 20 of 20 Posts