GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some pic's & drawings for the FRS or CB adaptor for the Wing.
Note my rig requires a separate Mic switch I had mounted the Mic switch to the clutch lever pivit bolt.

#1 is the origanl setup. I found the Intercom would not work when switch to the FRS mic.

#2 I have not built this setup, but I believe it will work.

If you want to try this out, you can get all parts from Radio Shack. Build it loosly & if it fits your pourpus, you can package it nicely later.
I do not have the 5 dim plug wireing connection configuration. But there is info on the NET.

Here is my WEBSHOT address.
http://community.webshots.com/album/556451950pzmelR

DangerousDan

·
Registered
211 Posts
DangerousDan thanks for the schematics... looks like no impedance issues since you wired directly. Good. I am starting my build using a 6 pole 3 pos rotary waterproof switch. I hope to have both CB and FRS going in.

Have parts on order and no doubt start the build after Xmas. Will post a schematic once I receive the FRS/CB to see how they handle the mic connection. I want to use a single switch for PTT for both radios, preferably the already installed factory PTT switch on the handle bar. I found the connection under the seat.

Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
Updated

I wish I could post pictures, but damn if I can figure it out. Anyway here is a link to the schematic. I will also send a jpg and pdf of the schematic to all that request it.

http://burgmanusa.com/ipw-web/gallery/s ... ewsIndex=1

I have bench built the box with 4 Inputs (I know the schematic only shows three, the forth is for something else off topic) not to worry as it will not affect anything. The box works with both radios/helmet headset. My next step is to plug it into the GL1800 intercom which I feel will work fine. Right now it's 15 degrees and snows coming. When I get more I will post.

What I like most about this setup there is no modifications to the Wing.

Pete[/img]

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
How do you plan on keying the radios? The PTT button you show probably won't work as you've drawn it.

Keep in mind that the bikes' PTT circuit is not a dry contact - the plug under the seat wires to the audio unit in conjunction with the other LH switchpod controls.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jon said:
How do you plan on keying the radios? The PTT button you show probably won't work as you've drawn it.

Keep in mind that the bikes' PTT circuit is not a dry contact - the plug under the seat wires to the audio unit in conjunction with the other LG switchpod controls.
The PPT is not the built in PTT on the Wing. You would need to buy a waterproof PPT switch, which Kennedy and another outfit (who I forget right now) sells. I will have that info a bit later.

Now you could use the wing's PTT switch, but you would have to take it completely out of the bike's wiring. Since I might use the radio 4X a year, it was not worth my butchering a perfectly good setup.

Regarding keying the radio, that exactly what I thought too, that it would not work. However the mic on a headset is wired differently from a handheld mic. By default a handheld mike is in the off/receive mode.

On headset mics (at least for the wings) they are defaulted to the on/transmit mode so you can use the intercom without pushing a button. All the PTT switch (outside of Honda's electronics) does is makes and breaks that circuit so you can transmit or listen. So the PTT switch does not need to short the mic, it's already shorted in the headset, it just inserts the mic of the CB or FRS into the all ready on transmitting microphone circuit.

Pete

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Trust me - I understand fully how the electronic systems on this bike operate...

slimer said:
... So the PTT switch does not need to short the mic, it's already shorted in the headset, it just inserts the mic of the CB or FRS into the all ready on transmitting microphone circuit...
You're not following me - the PTT button that you show just completes the mic connection to the radio - it will do nothing to actually cause the radio to transmit.

You're probably also aware that the FRS, handheld CB radios and cell phones are execting to see an electret microphone element and not the low-impedance dynamic element of a typical MC helmet. Have you tested the modulation levels of the radios with this arrangement yet?

Good luck with your modifications, but I'll bet you a cup of coffee that you'll need to wire the PTT completely separately for each radio, since each one will need to see its' specific requirement for activating the transmit function of the radio.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You're not following me - the PTT button that you show just completes the mic connection to the radio - it will do nothing to actually cause the radio to transmit.
Oh... I'm following you and yes... I have built what the schematic shows and both the CB and FRS have been tested using my helmet mic (with the helmet on my head) transmitting to my wife two floors away.

Your right, the PTT DOES COMPLETE the mic connection to the radio, it's suppose too. Your right, the PTT DOES NOT turn the mic on, the PTT switch does not have to turn the mic on, as the helmet mike is wired to be ALWAYS ON, you only need to direct what circuit (device) you want the mic to drive.

If the mic was internally wired to be OFF and thus requiring a PTT switch to to turn it on, then the Goldwing intercom would require both passenger and driver to press PTT switches to talk to one another, but we know that is not the case. We both know that the mic is always live allowing passenger and driver to talk freely without pressing a PTT switch.

Knowing that, all that is needed is a rotary switch to select which device the mic will drive. If I left SW2 out of the circuit, as soon as I switched to either radio the mic would key that radio. SW2 is not a PPT, but rather a monetary ON/OFF switch, connecting the mic to the radio.

Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jon said:
You're probably also aware that the FRS, handheld CB radios and cell phones are execting to see an electorate microphone element and not the low-impedance dynamic element of a typical MC helmet. Have you tested the modulation levels of the radios with this arrangement yet?
Yes I am aware of that and tried different R/C circuit values, but adding resistance only decreased modulation levels. Why? Because the helmet mic is already wired to be on which means that R/C circuit is already built into the headset mic.

Would it be nice to have a 20db boost, I would think so, is it necessary, not really. Here's the final rub... this unit only cost me $35 to build, it's works, and it's not hard wired into the bike. If I was to use this radio once a week I would definitely purchase something aftermarket, but 4X per year I cannot justify aftermarket prices.

Pete

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here’s another pretty good link on building an FRS interface cable. This relates to the Autocom, but the notes about how to activate the mic on FRS radios still applies. Basically some additional resistance might be required to trigger the mic but not always.

http://www.largiader.com/electric/autocom.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you trying to make a cb adapter that would allow you to take the midland or cobra remote mount cb and make it compatible with the wing's wiring harness? I don't understand why there seems to be no competetive aftermarket radio for the wing, it doesn't seem all that difficult to wire a radio into the circuit that could still use the ptt button on the handlebar. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
211 Posts
backwoods said:
Here’s another pretty good link on building an FRS interface cable. This relates to the Autocom, but the notes about how to activate the mic on FRS radios still applies. Basically some additional resistance might be required to trigger the mic but not always.

http://www.largiader.com/electric/autocom.html
Thanks... yes I visited this site some time ago. What is interesting is the first cable schematic is adapting a Radio Shack hand held mic, a helmet mike is a different animal circuit wise. Fortunetly for me that resistance is already built into my headset mic. The other two schematics were using VOX capabilities. Voice Operated Relays (VOX) become a nightmare at high speeds as wind noise tends to activate the transmitter.

Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
wastrel said:
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you trying to make a cb adapter that would allow you to take the midland or cobra remote mount cb and make it compatible with the wing's wiring harness?
No I am not. I am tying to create (and I did) an adapter that only uses the wings receive function. I want to transmit/receive intercom, listen to my on board navi, to my am/fm radio and to my auxiliary function MP3 player through my headset. This adapter keeps the cb/frs function (both transmit and receive) out of the wings wiring harness and communications system, but still allows transmitting and receiving via my helmet headset.

I don't understand why there seems to be no competitive aftermarket radio for the wing, it doesn't seem all that difficult to wire a radio into the circuit that could still use the PTT button on the handlebar. Am I missing something here?
The wings audio system prevents non Honda products (like a cobra cb) from being added to it. These devices are coded and must present the correct code to the audio system before the audio system will accept it.
So I am told.

Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts