1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
It will work. You will most likely be disappointed and will eventually end up trying to sell it to a sucker so you can get the overpriced Honda CB that does a good job. [Don't ask me how I know, but I have the set up sitting in my garage and the Honda in my wing. :lol: ]

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ddking said:
It will work. You will most likely be disappointed and will eventually end up trying to sell it to a sucker so you can get the overpriced Honda CB that does a good job. ]
Are you selling yours?

Pete

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I tried to sell it a couple of times but managed to talk the buyers out of it. :lol: Since my wing is totaled and I won't be able to buy another for a couple of years, my only ride will be a friend's VTX and I'll need it for that.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Yep...I tried that too...for about 10 minutes. I broke down and ordered the Honda CB from Hal during his Thanksgiving sale. Hell of a lot more expensive, but it's so nice everyting being intregrated.

Bartman

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Yep...I tried that too...for about 10 minutes. I broke down and ordered the Honda CB from Hal during his Thanksgiving sale. Hell of a lot more expensive, but it's so nice everyting being intregrated.

Bartman

Hello ++++++111111111 a couple of years ago!!!!!!!....spend the bucks..sorry.....chuck

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm looking at the exact same radio but connected through my Autocom. The Cobra HH38 is the only portable CD they recommend.

BTW, Amazon has the HH38 for just over $77.

Looks like you'll need the push-to-talk cable as well.

If you get it, post up your results. I'd like to know how far this radio can transmit compared to the Honda OEM version. I know it will be short range only, but need to know if it's good enough for group rides.

·
Registered
260 Posts
cb

We have several non goldwing riders in our club that use the radio that you mentioned. They work good at times and other times they have trouble with them. The problem they seem to have is with the delicate plugs and connectors for the mike and head set. Intermitten connection problems drives them crazy. When they work right, they sound good, but not all the time. If you have electronic savy, you may be able to overcome this problem. The Honda radio is hard to beat when it comes to no problems. Hope this helps to answer your question. I know how painful it is to have some of the luxuries that dealer items cost.

I

·
0 Posts
My $02:

As a ham radio operator for many moons, do you have any ideal how it stuck in my craw to spend $500 on a stupid CB radio for my Wing? AARRRGGG!

Well, I did, because it integrates beautitfully with the 1800 audio system. NOTHING ELSE WILL. And for a CB radio on a motorcycle, (which practically speaking is basically just a bike to bike intercom good for a couple miles), it works well.

Maybe someday Honda will get their act together and incorporate an inexpensive but very effective GMRS radio system on the Wing. We can all dream.

Ride safe. Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: cb

greasemonkey said:
We have several non goldwing riders in our club that use the radio that you mentioned. They work good at times and other times they have trouble with them. The problem they seem to have is with the delicate plugs and connectors for the mike and head set. Intermitten connection problems drives them crazy
I'm trying to get a handle on this setup to determine what the real problems are. I've been a ham for 42 years, W1JEF, so connections problems will not be an issue... worse case I swap out the DINS for some that work.

Are there any other problems?

Pete

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Pete,

Here's a set up that I've been considering. http://cellset.com/frset.html

I've called them and they're very helpful and good to talk to. They have an adapter that will also allow you to use your PTT switch on the 1800 so it's a little more integrated. This option will allow you to plug in a portable CB or a portable FRS radio so you can switch back and forth. Maybe the AirRider system does this too?? I'm thinking of this set up so I can use the CB when I have a passenger with me or switch to the FRS radio when the wife is on her bike so we can talk bike to bike. I'm no expert...just passing on what I've read on the set up and from what they told me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cobra cb on a wing

I have been running that cobra handheld on my 03 for a month or so. even with the short antenna it gets out as good as the hondaline.
I did find that you need to run it on batterys rather than power ,it picks up all the noice on pwr.im sure filters can be installed.the batterys have had 3 full days of use and are still full scale on the indicator. I did find all the pwr savers and other things need to be off for it to work right if not everyone gets a squeal. i only have it kooked to my headset not thru the wing system. ive been looking for this setup.
I had the radio on my klr and thats the reason i put it on the wing i probably wouldnt buy it to install on the wing

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both units:
Operate via intercom
Have helpful and knowledgeable technical support
Price does not include shipping or taxes
Goldwing GL1800 2006
My pluses and minuses may not be like yours
Average Cobra 38 WXST CB price purchased elsewhere

http://www.airrider.com/store/
Cobra 38 WXST CB $70.00
Add-A-Radio Interface $129.00
$199.00 Total
6' 5pin Extension (optional) $25.00

Plus: Does not plug into motorcycle harness, but into 5 pin DIN
Plus: Mount in trunk with CB using 6’ extension, otherwise in L/R bottom fairing
Plus: No battery connection
Minus: Limited to CB only
Minus: Reports of poor connecting DIN connections
Minus: No built in audio amplifier
Minus: Uses included key mounted to handle bar to transmit
Note: To use the OEM PPT CB transmit key you could use the Cellset $55.00 indirect Key PPT and wire one end into a female 1/8” phono plug.

http://www.cellset.com/
Cobra 38 WXST CB $70.00
FRSet4 Module $77.00
Radio Harnesses MWA $35.00
Intercom Harnesses 1800 $35.00
Indirect Key PPT $55.00
$272.00 Total

Plus: Can use OEM PPT CB transmit key
Plus: Built in audio amplifier
Plus: Can be used for either CB, FRS or Cell Phone, but only one can be installed
Minus: Plugs into motorcycle harness and mounts under seat
Minus: Requires connection to battery

Pete

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
As bad and as expensive as my Honda OEM CB set up is, it is still far superior to any of the other contraptions that I have seen on other bikes.

Everyones experiences may vary, but this has been mine!

Bulldog

·
Registered
887 Posts
slimer said:
Both units:
Operate via intercom
Have helpful and knowledgeable technical support
Price does not include shipping or taxes
Goldwing GL1800 2006
My pluses and minuses may not be like yours
Average Cobra 38 WXST CB price purchased elsewhere

http://www.airrider.com/store/
Cobra 38 WXST CB $70.00
Add-A-Radio Interface $129.00
$199.00 Total
6' 5pin Extension (optional) $25.00

Plus: Does not plug into motorcycle harness, but into 5 pin DIN
Plus: Mount in trunk with CB using 6’ extension, otherwise in L/R bottom fairing
Plus: No battery connection
Minus: Limited to CB only
Minus: Reports of poor connecting DIN connections
Minus: No built in audio amplifier
Minus: Uses included key mounted to handle bar to transmit
Note: To use the OEM PPT CB transmit key you could use the Cellset $55.00 indirect Key PPT and wire one end into a female 1/8” phono plug.

http://www.cellset.com/
Cobra 38 WXST CB $70.00
FRSet4 Module $77.00
Radio Harnesses MWA $35.00
Intercom Harnesses 1800 $35.00
Indirect Key PPT $55.00
$272.00 Total

Plus: Can use OEM PPT CB transmit key
Plus: Built in audio amplifier
Plus: Can be used for either CB, FRS or Cell Phone, but only one can be installed
Minus: Plugs into motorcycle harness and mounts under seat
Minus: Requires connection to battery

Pete
Pete,
Thanks for the breakdown and the comparison!! That's very helpful. It looks like the Cellset would be the way I'd go based on that. Which way are you leaning?

Bulldog - If I really wanted a CB and thought I'd use a lot, it I agree with you that the price for the integration would be worth the money. I mainly want a way to talk bike to bike when the wife is riding her bike. The cellset would give me that plus, for another $70, I could switch out the FRS to a handheld CB when I was riding in a group....which really isn't that often any more. That's the reason I'm leaning towards an aftermarket set up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was planning a trip w/ my buddies without Wings, so, I made my own setup for them & added on a FRS to my factory CB on my Wing.
They can use handheld CB or FRS. I can use my Honda CB or switch to FRS.
I only took Pic's while I was building the setup. No pic's of finnished product. They are now packaged/seal for weather. May not look as clean as aircom but it works great.(without FM mute)
DangerousDan

#1 any bike for CB only.

Same #1 w/ a FRS.

#2 My wing setup for adding the FRS. Separate FRS mic switch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mainly want a way to talk bike to bike when the wife is riding her bike. The cellset would give me that plus, for another $70, I could switch out the FRS to a handheld CB when I was riding in a group
Not that easy to switch between CB and FRS... you would have to remove one cable and replace it with a different one. Then you would have to reset internal switches in the FRset4 unit for the new cable. CB cables and FRS cables are different.

I'm mulling it over right now. In 8 days winter sets in here in Massachusetts, while I'm still riding those riding days are getting less. So my decesion is not due to this Sping, maybe I'll get lucky and a Honda CB will drop out of the sky for me.

Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can use my Honda CB or switch to FRS.
Does you intercom still work? Can you hear an MP3 player plugged into AUX port using this setup?

Got a schematic for all those connections?

Pete

·
Registered
304 Posts
Slimer, Not that hard to switch CB-FRS.
I used a DPDT rocker switch to make the switch, on the mics switches only.
Flip the switch up & key the CB mic switch.
Flip the switch down & key the FRS mic switch.
FRS speeker wires are tapped in the harness, & I now can talk to my buddies on FRS while also being able to hear Ch 19 on the CB.
Worked great!
DangerousDan.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts