GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread earlier on the tech board reference to communicating with my wife while were riding on our GW's.

I recieved some interesting replys in reference to CellSet's equipment to integrate a FRS Radio........... Has anyone used this? or does anyone else got a solution that doesnt run into thousands of dollars? :(

If Im looking at this Cellset idea correctly, itll run me about 300 with me doing the install.... That is totally acceptable to me. :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
I plan to do the same thing. However, I also need some way to connect to a hand-held CB to talk to other bikers until everyone get's weaned from the AM CB over to the FM FRS/GMRS.
Still looking for solutions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know you just brought up an idea. They have GPS Units that also have FRS Radio, basically GPS Screen on the FRS Radio......... That maybe a great option for the wings.............. hmmmmmm......... :idea:

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
I have been using FRS radios for about 7 years now on various bikes. I love them and would never use anything else. They are cystal clear, have no squelch to mess with, run on 3 AA batteries for a week or more, and are very small and compact. The range is about 1 mile or so with FRS and more with GMRS, which is about as good as CB does on a bike. Not to mention you don't have to listen to all the yahoos that are typically on CB's.

You can get FRS radios for as little as $25, but I recommend you spend a little more and get a set of Kenwood. They cost more, but have noticably better range and clarity.

You can easily integrate them into the bike with Kennedy FRS set and PTT hack adapters for about $100 or so. You should be able to totally outfit the bike with FRS for around $150.

·
Registered
267 Posts
FYI ONLY - There is FRS and GMRS...here is the difference between FRS and GMRS

From the FCC Home Page

If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules that apply to Family Radio Service (FRS), you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio (or dual radio FRS/GMRS) under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas. The current fee for a new GMRS license is $75.

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179). Normally, as a GMRS system licensee, you and your family members would communicate among yourselves over the general area of your residence or during recreational group outings, such as camping or hiking.

Licensing

If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas. The current fee for a new GMRS license is $75.

Further Info at the FCC Web Site

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes the license is good for 5 years, and the GMRS radios have much more features, offsets, repeater capable, more output power, detachable antennas etc. I doubt the FCC would challenge "communications to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179)." I will be riding with my Goldwing family.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Other than CB

Why not go the extra distance and get a ham license??
For a little time spent with a book and a simple test, One
can get a license to operate above 30 megs and talk all
over the place. Their is (or was) a system of linked repeaters
in Calafornia, Naveda, Arazona and New Mexico called CONDOR
you could talk all over the south west with .5 watts on 220Mhz

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I have used FRS/GMRS radios from Motorolla with excellent result. They are relatively inexpensive and mine have a feature that links the radio's so that our party can not hear other parties on the same channel. They may be able to hear us blather on, but we don't give a hoot so long as we don't have to listen to all that blathering they do. Like the other fellow said, the communication is crystal clear and does not progressively fade with distance like CB. Lots of coding features and such. I recently got the CB because most bikers do not have FRC/GMRS yet, but I may get the Kennedy set-up and see if I can integrate the Motorolla Talk-a-bouts into the system without too mcuh trouble/expense. I may well be way off base with this next remark, but I get teh impression that enforcement of CB, FRS, GMRS regulations by teh FCC is pretty far down on their totum pole. They used to try to enforse CB regulations, but have not heard of anyone in hot water over that anymore and folks sure are still running outlaw linear amps and out of spec transmitters and breaking any rule that gets in their path. i follow teh law, so I may not know squat.

prs

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you get GMRS, you'll need to be nice on it. Some businesses use those bands as well, and will start complaining to the FCC and get our licenses yanked if we don't play nice. Best to find out which channels are used in your area and just avoid them. Not an unreasonable thing, as the businesses livelihood porbably depends upon their comms.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use the Kennedy fix and a basic fsr radio from Motorolla. We also take the FSR radio with us when we go to an event etc. Get separated and it works great. I like the motorolla they have all the bells and whistles and the scramble.

For the record I just unplug the cb to go to FSR. I use a hand held CB and a Goldwing antenea. works good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts