GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was a way to hook up some type of antenna for my OEM CB. I would like to come up with something that could be removed when not required, or something that could be integrated into the bike somehow like the trunk lid bike frame ETC. Any ideas?
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to not spend the $145 + as well not a fan of the ugly black antenna. I was thinking is there a way to modify a small antenna like they have for 2 way radios on dispatch vehicles, or cell phone signal booster?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'd like to not spend the $145 + as well not a fan of the ugly black antenna. I was thinking is there a way to modify a small antenna like they have for 2 way radios on dispatch vehicles, or cell phone signal booster?
Short answer is no, you cant have that for a CB.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Some large truckstops have CB shops and some of them have very knowledgeable folks. They may have a solution that will work.

There is place in or near Estes Park--Fort Collins that was called the CB Shop. they handled a lot of different cb stuff and stuff for the Wing if you are ever travelling in that area.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Connect CB's antenna cable to a BNC female jack, then attach a "rubber ducky" antenna used on handheld CBs. The range will be terrible. Poor ground plane. One-eighth wave antenna length. But, it will be invisible inside the trunk. You might have the range to talk to a rider within 500 feet.

For good performance, a CB antenna needs a good ground plane and full-wave length height. However, this is often impractical because the wavelength of a 27.185MHz signal is 35.6 feet. Even a half-wave antenna is very long at 17+ feet. So, the most-common length of a CB antenna is quarter-wave, or about 107 inches. An antenna can be both 107 inches long and 48 inches long by wrapping the antenna wire around a fiberglass core or using a base or middle coil. The "rubber ducky" antennas take this strategy to its limit and that's why they don't perform very well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the info. looks like I might try the rubber ducky. If that don't work then might just sell the CB
Thanks again to all that offered solutions, that is what makes this forum Great. :thumbup: :yes1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts