GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Harmon Kardon/ Harley Davidson/ Midland CB.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

It is installed like this.

The antenna looks like this.

I am having trouble transmitting. Sometimes it squeals; sometimes the volume is so low no one can hear it. I can receive, although only when bikes are real close. It becomes faint when bikes are farther away.

The antenna has a looseness to it that I can't tighten out, You can feel movement when the antenna is on the staff. I think it is in the barrel portion at the bottom.

I bought this bike used and there is nothing in the written materials about the CB or the antenna. I think if I could replace the antenna it may work. The whip portion does separate from the barrel portion. This is a combo antenna.

Does anyone recognize this antenna? Suggestions for a replacement antenna that would screw into the mast that is already mounted on the bike?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have an antenna like that, the combo Sierra electronics antenna. The looseness you feel is that it will bend forward for storage if you put a cover on the bike. The knurled portion of the barrel there will slip up and the antenna will bend forward. I would say my CB only has about 3/4 mile range with this set up. Faint, breaks up at a mile or so.

You probably need to have someone familiar with CB's to figure out what the issue actually is. It may not be the antenna at all.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have an antenna like that, the combo Sierra electronics antenna. The looseness you feel is that it will bend forward for storage if you put a cover on the bike. The knurled portion of the barrel there will slip up and the antenna will bend forward. I would say my CB only has about 3/4 mile range with this set up. Faint, breaks up at a mile or so.

You probably need to have someone familiar with CB's to figure out what the issue actually is. It may not be the antenna at all.
Yes, that antenna is a compromise for both the AM/FM and CB and there should be a splitter feeding both radios. Someone with a SWR meter may be able to tune that for best performance but you might already be at "best."

Worse news. That is the BikeMP3 -GL2Way radio. Do a search and you will find that some folks have had trouble getting or keeping these working.

A road trip over to Sierra Electronics might be in order.

Reactions: Sierra-mc
1 - 3 of 3 Posts