GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 GL1800. I'll pick up the bike on Monday and I just realized that the antenna will need to folded and unfolded every time I enter and leave the garage at my house, because the garage has a low ceiling.

It is possible to permanently remove the folding portion of the antenna and if so, how :?:

I realize this will affect radio reception, but I won't be using the radio much, just the ipod and when going on a long trip, I would reinstall it.

Thanks for helping a new Goldwing convert!

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... I won't be using the CB when I'm riding around town. My garage door when open reduces ceiling height to 6' 8" or so, so I thought I'd remove the folding portion and use it only when I'm on out of town trips.

I'm in Toronto, Canada, and picking up from a local dealer. I've waited 2 years before taking the plunge, switching from bmw to honda.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Welcome

Thanks guys... I won't be using the CB when I'm riding around town. My garage door when open reduces ceiling height to 6' 8" or so, so I thought I'd remove the folding portion and use it only when I'm on out of town trips.

I'm in Toronto, Canada, and picking up from a local dealer. I've waited 2 years before taking the plunge, switching from bmw to honda.
Mingo, since no one else has said wlecome to the world of Wing, please allow me to say "Welcome", and hope you enjoy your Wing.

Dang short garage you got, however the link above to the antennaes Sierra sells will work fine for you. Be aware if you use a cover with the short antennae, it doesn't fold and you will have to cut a hole in your cover for the antennae to stick through. You can also buy one of the flexy antennaes from your local auto store and use it for your radio. If you eventually decide to go to with CB unit, would recommend the one sold by www.bikemp3.com , you can also get a short antennae with that system.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mingo,,, years ago I cut my FM antenna at 30 inches from the base of swivel to tip of antenna.......... Works very well for FM but hurts the AM side somewhat,,,, but again, who listens to AM?????? That will let you get in and out door with plenty of clearance...........

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
it will do more than affect reception, you will not be able to transmit at all with the CB
Why:?::?::?::?::?::?::?:
There are millions of CB's without the hinge in the masts. They all seem to work!
To the OP, just an opinion, while Sierra does sell shorter antennas, the shorter it is the poorer Tx distance you will have.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
When I would ride my bike to my in-laws house I had the problem with the antenna being to tall to fit under the garage door, I just reached back while sitting on the bike and pulled the knuckle up and folded the antenna down, not a big deal, easy to do.

·
Registered
396 Posts
We gonna need some pictures here.

I'm saying he ain't got no CB radio 'cuz of his language, I painted my own picture.

..louie

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I just bought a 2012 GL1800. I'll pick up the bike on Monday and I just realized that the antenna will need to folded and unfolded every time I enter and leave the garage at my house, because the garage has a low ceiling.
Welcome...

It is REALLY easy to reach back without getting off the bike and fold it down..
.. you might just get used to it.

I'd leave it alone until you get it home and try.

Dennis

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Reread the OP. No mention of a CB! However in a later post he mentions he won't use the CB around town?
He only mentions the word antenna, not antennas.
If he had the Honda CB, he most likely would have 2 antenna:shrug:
although he could have used a splitter and only one antenna.
I like the answer of reaching back and folding the antenna!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
CB or not CB, that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the bangs and furrows of a CB antenna 's outrageous length or to take your arm thus folding the offender and by opposing , end reception.

My AM/FM shown. Would not advise doing this with the CB antenna but since you mention only one antenna and do not say "I must fold both antennas" I would assume you only have the one on the right for AM/FM. You can cut it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input. My 2012 comes with 1 antenna, and the CB unit came fitted to the bike.

Now I know the hinged portion can be removed completely, so if I need to do that, I will. I will also try the reach back and fold it and see I can do it without dropping the bike :)

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
My garage door when open reduces ceiling height to 6' 8" or so,

You may not have a problem at all. The tip of my OEM radio antenna is 6'-7" above the garage floor and the OEM CB antenna is 6'-2" above the floor.

Go to a dealer and measure one yourself.:p

:thumbup:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the good news! I just measured again, the ceiling is 8 ft, but when the door is open it's 6' 8", and the bike only has 1 large antenna that folds, so I may not have an issue. I'll find out in a couple of days. :)

Thanks again for your input.

Now I will begin to research my backrest options. Let the farkling begin.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Ok,
Just to clear things up. I was confused for about the first 10 replies. That is until D.dawg started to help clear up a muddy pond here. And finally he(the OP) stated his bike came with ONE antenna and the C/B "Unit" came fitted with the bike. Ok, I'm still not sure I'm on the same planet here.

OP, are you saying you have a "C/B" radio, and that the factory installed it? And if so, did Honda, in the 2012 version combine the AM/FM RADIO antenna with the C/B antenna????? Which would give you only ONE antenna. And again, if so, did you request it from your dealer? If I recall, the Wings don't come from the factory with C/Bs installed. Those of us who've installed C/Bs, have put the new or, "C/B" antenna on the left side, as your sitting on it.

Now, one thing here, I don't know almost anything about the 2012 model so, there could have been a great deal of changes that I'm not aware of.
Scott

1 - 20 of 33 Posts