GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got my CB in and bought a cheapo SWR meter. I hooked it up with various banana plugs, and aligator clips, but it seemed to work. I followed the instructions that came with the meter and was able to get it to 1.7. Instructions said use channel 20 (mid band). Anyway I thought I'd first try to extend the antenna a bit as I had quite a bit of room. So that's what I did and the closest I was able to get by extending it was the 1.7. Meter instructions said less than 2 was good, and more than 3 may damage the radio. When I started it was 2.6 or so maybe more.

Questions is should I be able to get better than 1.7 or should I need to really?
Also, with the hodgepodge of wires and the method of connecting the meter would that give me a false reading.......I had continuity, but probably with great capacitance (is that a word?) because of the less than good connections.....IMO.

Is more than bear continuity required/needed?

And lastly am I likely to get a better ratio by shortening the antenna?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Steve,

Exactly as you suspect, I wouldn't trust your measurments with the adapters. Yes they can cause a false reading or a change when you remove them and reconnect as normal.

·
Registered
589 Posts
steve s said:
OK, I got my CB in and bought a cheapo SWR meter. I hooked it up with various banana plugs, and aligator clips, but it seemed to work. I followed the instructions that came with the meter and was able to get it to 1.7. Instructions said use channel 20 (mid band). Anyway I thought I'd first try to extend the antenna a bit as I had quite a bit of room. So that's what I did and the closest I was able to get by extending it was the 1.7. Meter instructions said less than 2 was good, and more than 3 may damage the radio. When I started it was 2.6 or so maybe more.

Questions is should I be able to get better than 1.7 or should I need to really?
Also, with the hodgepodge of wires and the method of connecting the meter would that give me a false reading.......I had continuity, but probably with great capacitance (is that a word?) because of the less than good connections.....IMO.

Thanks for your help.
Well aligator clips are a NO NO. I doubt if you are getting a correct reading. I would not worry about damage to the radio with a 3.1 ratio as most have a protection circuit for this. Most radio's will shut down the power output (because of the protection) with a s.w.r. over 1.5 appox. Soooo if you are actually getting a true 1.7 I wouldn't worry much about it. If you really want a correct reading I would try and get the proper cable etc to keep it 50 Ohms. The only place you are actually going to get a true S.W.R. reading is at the base of the antenna, not at the end of the coax at the radio. IE the lenght of the cable going to the antenna from the radio and any jumpers, (aligator clips !!) will affect the true reading on this end. Back in the late 70's the K-40 mobile c.b. antenna was a good example of this. The coax they included with this antenna would give a perfect SWR 1.1 without the antenna even screwed on if checked at the radio end. As far as making the antenna shorter you could try however if you cut too much off you are SOL be careful.

FCC 2nd Class license
Extra Class Ham Radio NN9S

I

·
0 Posts
steve s said:

Thanks for your help.
Steve:

Listen to Doug44. He is right on, and took the words out of my mouth.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So let me see if I have a proper direction.........I should locate the best patch cables for setting the SWR, and do it again!

On this note, does anyone know if any exist that fit both ends? Can I get one that fits the meter(the big I guess normal CB radio fitting) on one end and make the other end from a connector from a electronics store (Radio Shack, Ack Radio, or ???????) Seems those cables don't exist......I hope they do.....where can I get them or the parts to make two up? I don't see anyway to check it at the base??????? enlighten me if it can be done fairly easily?

Lastly, with proper patch cables should I be able to get at or close to 1:1?
Is there a arelationship establised here.....like if it's 1.5 can I shorten it X and it get to 1:1 or is it trail and error, and if I am at 1.7 for example do I have to go shorter or maybe longer is best first?????

Is there a proper procedure you guys could guide me to? SWR 101???

·
Registered
297 Posts
I found everthing needed to fab. cables for my SWR meter at Radio Shack, only took a few minutes to put them together.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks for that info.......going tomorrow!

Any links to proper SWR adjustment.....set-up?

Words of wisdom????

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well will you look at that......thanks Red. Radio Shack was a lot more than that(should've known)......but I'm loaded for bear now. Going in Saturday when I get back home.

Cheers,

·
Registered
25 Posts
cb

Honda says tha antenna comes set from the factory. So I took my bike to the CB Doctor just to see and he check the swr. perfect. But He wanted to give more power but it seams to work fine as is. It's a pain to remove the raido so it will stay like that till it breaks. Then Doc can make the improvement them. He works at all major trucks stop down south.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts