GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '08 GL 1800. It has what looks like a CB antenna but no CB. The end of the antenna wire looks like it is a regular radio antenna. I have a CB in an RV and the end is totally different. Should the wire look like a regular antenna or like the one in my RV?
Hope someone can help.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Just bought an '08 GL 1800. It has what looks like a CB antenna but no CB. The end of the antenna wire looks like it is a regular radio antenna. I have a CB in an RV and the end is totally different. Should the wire look like a regular antenna or like the one in my RV?
Hope someone can help.
Thanks
yes, it looks like a regular radio antenna

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hope someone can help.
Thanks
Yes it is different from the CB type of fitting your use too. Are you sure it is a CB antenna? the CB would have a load on it and on the left side of the trunk while the raido antenna has no load and is on the right side if there is a CB it will be under the cover on the bottom of the trunk.
Hope this helps

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Honda CB antennas have the motorola plug-in connectors on the antenna coax. Those for cages use mostly screw together PL-259 connectors.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Okay - I'm confused. - question for the OP - how many antennas does the bike have??

The stock bike comes with one antenna, on the right side of the trunk. A CB antenna (if not using a combined antenna) is mounted on the left side of the trunk. If it is a thin wire type antenna, then it usually has a loading coil located about halfway up the antenna. If it is a thick (~1/4 inch) antenna, then it usually does not have a noticable loading coil on it.

The cb antenna wire for the Honda is like what Dawg said - a plug-in type connector from the actual antenna.

If this doesn't answer the question - then please spell the question out a bit more to help feeble ones like me understand what you are trying to ask.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I'm new to this forum (and Goldwings) you certainly have answered my question.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Thanks all, I'm new to this forum (and Goldwings) you certainly have answered my question.
Glad the collective was able to help, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
273 Posts
CB on the GL1800

Please be advised that the bike comes labeled, marked and wired for the CB. But it doesn't come from the factory with one. If you only have a straight wire antenna (probably on the right), than you probably only have the factory AM/FM radio, with weather. The CB antenna looks the same at the base, but about 18" up is a black plastic tube device that does something that I don't know(but it works) then the antenna continues about another 18" more. In the bottom, basement of the trunk, is where the CB black box would live. If it has no box in the basement, you probably don't have one. Welcome to the board and to the GL1800. A great ride!

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Please be advised that the bike comes labeled, marked and wired for the CB. But it doesn't come from the factory with one. If you only have a straight wire antenna (probably on the right), than you probably only have the factory AM/FM radio, with weather. The CB antenna looks the same at the base, but about 18" up is a black plastic tube device that does something that I don't know(but it works) then the antenna continues about another 18" more. In the bottom, basement of the trunk, is where the CB black box would live. If it has no box in the basement, you probably don't have one. Welcome to the board and to the GL1800. A great ride!
Just for info - the black plastic tube device is a loading coil, filled with lots of turns of wire to electrically make the antenna a lot longer than it physically is, so the antenna is tuned properly for the frequency the radio operates at. Otherwise the antenna would be about 108 inches long (for a 1/4 wavelength. A full length CB antenna would be about 36 foot long). (think of the cars driving around with the long whip antennas on them).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts