GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried the shaksphere fiberglass antenna,s for there cb? I like the look,s better than the fire stick,sA.Any reason why they woun,t work just as well? Will one work for the fm for a matching set? :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, you can replace your FM antenna with a CB antenna to have a matching pair. I have matching Firestik Fireflies on both antenna masts. You can see the matching antennas in these two pics of my bike that Arn Butt Bill took on a ride a couple of weeks ago:

Some people take that installation one step further by installing a splitter on the CB antenna so that it functions both as your CB antenna and your FM antenna, and then installing a dummy look-alike antenna on the FM side. Firestik will make one of those for you on request, but they cost the same as a regular antenna. The benefit of such a set up is that it supposedly improves the tranmission performance of the CB antenna since less of the radiated signal is absorbed by the FM antenna.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But i want to use the france fiberglass one,s. Thay dont have the wire in them,din,t know if they would work for fm without the wire? One for cb one for fm. :shock:

·
Registered
273 Posts
kennyc said:
But i want to use the france fiberglass one,s. Thay dont have the wire in them,din,t know if they would work for fm without the wire? One for cb one for fm. :shock:
If it receives CB radio signals then it will also receive FM.

Fiberglass CB antennas do have a coil. Shakespeare antennas are internally wound, you don't see the coil but it's there. Fiberglass by itself will not receive a radio signal.

Also, if you use a Shakespeare antenna, keep in mind that Shakespeare antennas are marine no-ground-plane antennas. Make sure you know if it is a NGP antenna or not. The Goldwing is designed for use with a grounded antenna. You can use a NGP antenna but you will have to insulate the mounting braket inside your trunk with some nylon bushing or similar material to break the connection to ground. It would be easier to simply change your stock CB antenna with a replacement antenna designed for a grounded system, then no modifications to the ground will be required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts