GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 02 1800 wing when the sound system is on playing through the exterior speakers and I push the CB talk button my voice comes through the exterior speakers and sometime I get feedback. I already changed the radio. There is a Honda service letter extending the warranty on the CB CD & radio but only on the factory installed units. Of course my Honda dealer added mine after I bought the Wing. Does anyone know what could be the cause of the problem? Please let me know. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
I would check grounds.

The antenna base should have a good ground to the frame. Early ones did not. There is a ground strap in the trunk that is coated (insulated) where it tries to tie to a ground bolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,625 Posts
You know ? You do have a choice ? I believe the CB works the same way as the radio speakers do. You can choose to listen through the headsets ? Or over the speakers. It all depends on where you set that particular function......... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
strax2 said:
On my 02 1800 wing when the sound system is on playing through the exterior speakers and I push the CB talk button my voice comes through the exterior speakers and sometime I get feedback. I already changed the radio. There is a Honda service letter extending the warranty on the CB CD & radio but only on the factory installed units. Of course my Honda dealer added mine after I bought the Wing. Does anyone know what could be the cause of the problem? Please let me know. Thanks
As Mike L said, you can choose external or headset by pushing the button on main control panel and should see an icon on the display indicating which one you chose.
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Should not do that. When transmitting, all receive audio should be blanked. You should not be hearing yourself through either your headphones or the speakers.

No two way radio of any kind should do that, for obvious reasons, such as what you are experiencing.

If you bought your radio new and have a receipt, it should be covered under warranty, no matter who installed it. Somebody is full of $%%##@. There is no way to install it incorrectly that can cause that problem that I know of.

Ride safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
The cb feedback problem was discussed extensively during the winter of 2003/2004. My '03 also had the problem. Honda had the manufacturer of the audio unit redesign the AU and the redesign became available around January 2004.

Check the part number of your (new) audio unit to be sure it is one of the redesigned ones:

old AU:39110-MCA-671
new AU: 39110-MCA-672

The new AU also improved the AVC, but not the horn in the speakers. The '06's and '07's have a different AU, so this advice does not apply to those years.

FYI...there were (and are) no factory installed CB's or CD changers for the GL1800. CB's and CD changers have always been installed by the dealer or the owner.

HTH,
Arthur
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Muskegon transplant in Florida

IBTrike said:
No two way radio of any kind should do that, for obvious reasons, such as what you are experiencing.
Not necessarily true.... my ham radio transceivers have a "monitor" feature so you can hear yourself on speakers or headphones. I've used it to check my audio quality. CBs probably don't have that feature. Certainly, it shouldn't be loud enough to interfere with communications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
IBTrike said:
Should not do that. When transmitting, all receive audio should be blanked. You should not be hearing yourself through either your headphones or the speakers.

True, unless you have MicMutes and the intercom is turned on. Then you do hear yourself broadcast. I like that feature and I keep my MicMutes on all the time just so I can hear myself through the headsets.
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Muskegon transplant in Florida

beachside39 said:
IBTrike said:
No two way radio of any kind should do that, for obvious reasons, such as what you are experiencing.
Not necessarily true.... my ham radio transceivers have a "monitor" feature so you can hear yourself on speakers or headphones. I've used it to check my audio quality. CBs probably don't have that feature. Certainly, it shouldn't be loud enough to interfere with communications.
Beachside:

I am well aware of that feature on some ham radios. Did you see my call in my signature box?
:roll:

I didn't mention that feature because it is not used on Goldwing CB radios, so why even mention it in response to the question that was asked? What his CB radio/audio system is doing is not right, and has nothing to do with features available on Ham radios. :lol:

I should have known better than to say "no two way radio should do that".

I should have been more specific, and said "no Honda motorcycle CB radio should do that".

There..is that better? Sheesh!
:lol:

Ride safe. 73

Ride safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,195 Posts
I had the same problem with my 03. Honda replaced the audio unit with a new audio unit under warranty last summer. I was within two months of the 3 year factory warranty expiring. Honda will not cover the radio or a dealer installed CB under the extended warranty. For those that are out of warranty, I have read about Honda is offering a refurbished audio unit for something like 450 dollars or so. A new audio unit is around 1500 dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Re: Muskegon transplant in Florida

IBTrike said:
beachside39 said:
IBTrike said:
No two way radio of any kind should do that, for obvious reasons, such as what you are experiencing.
Not necessarily true.... my ham radio transceivers have a "monitor" feature so you can hear yourself on speakers or headphones. I've used it to check my audio quality. CBs probably don't have that feature. Certainly, it shouldn't be loud enough to interfere with communications.
Beachside:

I am well aware of that feature on some ham radios. Did you see my call in my signature box?
:roll:

I didn't mention that feature because it is not used on Goldwing CB radios, so why even mention it in response to the question that was asked? What his CB radio/audio system is doing is not right, and has nothing to do with features available on Ham radios. :lol:

I should have known better than to say "no two way radio should do that".

I should have been more specific, and said "no Honda motorcycle CB radio should do that".

There..is that better? Sheesh!
:lol:

Ride safe. 73

Ride safe
No offense intended....
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top