GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there re-purposed the CB control switches? I have some ideas and will never have a CB.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
821 Posts
CB Switch

The push to talk switch can be use to activate a garage door opener by running 2 wires from your out of sight door opener to the push to talk switch. unhook wires to push to talk and connect door opener wires. work good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The push to talk switch can be use to activate a garage door opener by running 2 wires from your out of sight door opener to the push to talk switch. unhook wires to push to talk and connect door opener wires. work good.
That sounds great! Now I need an opener.:grin2:

I'm actually thinking about using the up-down channel switch to operate relays for the trim actuator on my Hannigan sidecar (pick up in early October)

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Somebody on here (a long time ago) described how they repurposed these switches. Due to the integration with the CB (even when it's not there - the switches are tied together somehow), you can't just use them. The other poster ran some new multi-conductor cable up the handlebar, disconnected the factory wires, and soldered wires to the back side of the controls to make them each independent of the others. Personally, I think you might have an easier time getting one of those after-market switch banks that sets on top of the clutch reservoir.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somebody on here (a long time ago) described how they repurposed these switches. Due to the integration with the CB (even when it's not there - the switches are tied together somehow), you can't just use them. The other poster ran some new multi-conductor cable up the handlebar, disconnected the factory wires, and soldered wires to the back side of the controls to make them each independent of the others. Personally, I think you might have an easier time getting one of those after-market switch banks that sets on top of the clutch reservoir.
I would love to have a full-size color wiring diagram for my 2016. Do you know where they might be available?

Robert

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I would love to have a full-size color wiring diagram for my 2016. Do you know where they might be available?

Robert

I can't set you up with a diagram for a 2016 - perhaps @techdude2000 has one? (I have a 2008.)

After a bit of search through this site (especially the How-To Step-By-Step forum) and externally, I found the thread that I was thinking of. Check out http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/switches.html. It gives a pretty good explanation of how he (Chet Walters) went about re-purposing the CB switches. There might be enough info there to get you started. While (I think) this was done on an older Wing (pre-2010), I'll be surprised if the wire colors, etc. have changed any.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
I can't set you up with a diagram for a 2016 - perhaps @techdude2000 has one? (I have a 2008.)

After a bit of search through this site (especially the How-To Step-By-Step forum) and externally, I found the thread that I was thinking of. Check out http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/switches.html. It gives a pretty good explanation of how he (Chet Walters) went about re-purposing the CB switches. There might be enough info there to get you started. While (I think) this was done on an older Wing (pre-2010), I'll be surprised if the wire colors, etc. have changed any.
Sorry, I don’t have one. The latest model I have is for the 12/13. The later model service manual is the only place you can find it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts