GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone without a CB has put to use, the buttons that are useless:shrug: Im trying to get some ideas:bow:
Thanks much in advance:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
there was a thread for using it for bluetooth
this is an excerpt

That is where I control the T325 module. The CB PTT button is used for the Hook/Unhook switch. When the phone rings, I hear the caller ID in my headset and I hit the bike's PTT to answer (if that's what I want). Another switch I connected is the "CB-VOL" switch. The T325 connects/disconnects to my phone by itself, but I can force it with this switch. I hold it up 1 sec to connect to my phone and hold it down 1 sec to disconnect. The red & green leds you see there are connected to the T325 module, so I have a visual reference of what's going on (charging, power, connection, ...)

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use the CB switches to activate/deactivate three relays. One is used to turn the fog lights on/off. The remaining two are waiting for me to buy something that needs switching.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wingfart, I was wondering about using them for my fog lights too. Do you have the wiring configuration and pointers on how you did it?

thanks,

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Back in 2003 (before Ipod integrators existed) I hacked into one of the early model Ipod wired remotes that they used to come with and hooked it up to the CB switches. I used it for 130K miles, and it worked flawlessly. I had play/pause, volume up/down, and skip forward/backward functions.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ipod

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in 2003 (before Ipod integrators existed) I hacked into one of the early model Ipod wired remotes that they used to come with and hooked it up to the CB switches. I used it for 130K miles, and it worked flawlessly. I had play/pause, volume up/down, and skip forward/backward functions.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ipod

Fred, I got to thinking:cry: I bought hand heaters and was thinking about using the buttons for the temp instead of having another gadget on my dash. Do you think that would work?

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Garage door opener is always a nice button to have handy.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Fred, I got to thinking:cry: I bought hand heaters and was thinking about using the buttons for the temp instead of having another gadget on my dash. Do you think that would work?
I don't know what hand heaters you have, but your main limitations are the the physical size of the cavity in there, and the fact that the buttons are single pole, double throw, momentary contact buttons.

You would also have to disconnect all the existing CB wiring from them, and cap off those wires.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Kevin why don't u just get a CB ?
Dont have the need for one:popcorn:
When I first had the GL2way, I did not have the CB. This alpha version would plug-n-play to the Audio Unit, and output the switch contacts to the equipment of my choice. Even the latest Firmware offers the channel, PTT and squelch contacts individually (as opposed to multiplexed on the Bike's wiring loam) without the need to tear up the bike in a manner that may leave it valueless to the next owner (and there will be a next owner, these bikes can outlast a human's lifespan).

The first thing I connected to the GL2way was my iPod, the result was the warning on the manual that the GL2way is not a HiFidelity Stereo Interface :nojoke:

Pete is a consummate entrepreneur, come up with an alternate idea than the potpourri of radios, GPS and cell phones he connects via the GL2way and if it is good, you can be the next beta tester of an integrated product that utilizes the CB switches!

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't have the schematics here at the moment but will try and post them tonight.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its funny that after 11 years no one has made any $$ off this idea.:shrug: It seems that something can be done or made to acommadate the empty spaces. I dont have that kind of knowledge but I would buy something that would work:thumbup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
CB switches as load controls

The schematic didn't scan with a lot of contrast so hopefully they are readable.
When rewiring the CB switch module, the existing wires must be disconnected and capped off, then the new wires soldered in place of them. Note that its a bear of a job trying to cram all those wires back into the module, so try to keep the new wires as thin as possible. They carry negligible current anyway.
When the job is done, the load can simply be toggled on/off with the CB switch. Note that the loads are turned off when the key is turned off

Attachments

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I took my '03 back to the dealer, said I payed for CB controls and don't
have a CB, so I got a refund on those controls. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts