GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a CB to my bike after I started dating my wife (She has a CB on her 1500). This allowed us to communicate while riding, especially on our honeymoon. Sometimes when on group rides it was nice to hear what was going on. When on group rides we always pre-select a channel to listen to.
My question concerns that most of my riding is still solo, but at times I would like to say hi to other GW riders when passing. Is there a common channel to used while riding? If it matters I live in western Washington. I think the truckers use 17 or 19. Or I can just continue to do what I do now, just leave the CB turned off. Just seems like a waste considering what it costs.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
from what I have heard, most wingers hang out on channel is. The joke is that it is because they can't figure ut how to change the channel :lol:

I didn't get one for the first year, but after hearing about all the fun I missed during the 2.5 mile ride, I got one. It is nice to be able to BS a little and coordinate stops & stuff when riding with others. I am glad I went ahead and spent the money.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Channel 1 seems to be VERY popular. Our chapter has been using channel 3 since before my time.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
The trucks are usually on CB 17, but most GWRRA wingers
are on CB 1. I usually ride on CB 1, as do most GWs in OR.

once you get into CA, trucks are likely on 19. Don't know
where the wingers go.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just about every local club has thier own channel and they usually stay on that channel in case they come across one of thier own. GWTA standard is 22.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Our area doesn't have an active GWRRA chapter any more, but the group I ride with uses channel 1. While on vacation covering the 11 western states, most motorcycles we came across answered our hail on channel 1, also. I think most motorcycle cb users seem to go to channel 1 as a universal first choice while traveling, unless the group they're riding with is on another. While riding solo, I sometimes will go up to 15, 17. or 19 to chat with the truckers unless I see a bike go by with a cb antenna, and then will drop back to 1. Ya gotta be fast, though, because you're out of range in a mile or two. If he's going the other direction, that means 30 to 60 seconds max. before you're out of range. :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts