GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the CB cover today (that piece of plastic that goes over the CB radio in the trunk, and had to fight the four holder/screws that hold the cover down.

They look like they are supposed to back out with a screw driver but mine don't. I have to place a very small screwdriver blade between the head of the screw and the body of the plug to pry out the screw.

Has anyone come up with a more elegant way to hold down this cover?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
How about the same fasteners (push pins) that hold the left faring pocket in place, they work pretty good for that. Hal sells them.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I removed the CB cover today (that piece of plastic that goes over the CB radio in the trunk, and had to fight the four holder/screws that hold the cover down.

They look like they are supposed to back out with a screw driver but mine don't. I have to place a very small screwdriver blade between the head of the screw and the body of the plug to pry out the screw.

I used 2 strips of velcro. Works great. Also didn't have to drill 4 unnecessary holes into the bottom of the trunk.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts

They aren't screws - they're push/pull rivets similar to the ones used for the fairing pockets. Just grab the top and pull; 'click' and out they come. Push them back in the hole and 'click' they lock in place.

Very elegant, if you ask me......

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They aren't screws - they're push/pull rivets similar to the ones used for the fairing pockets. Just grab the top and pull; 'click' and out they come. Push them back in the hole and 'click' they lock in place.

Very elegant, if you ask me......
I would like to be able to grab them and pull them out...if I could grab them.

On mine, they are screws that sit flush in a washer type piece. There is no way to grab the screw part without prying them up by putting a small screwdriver or some other type tool between the part that looks like the screw and the washer part.

See the picture below and note the screw (or whatever you call it) next to the upper right corner of the fuse box. Maybe I'm missing something here..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts