GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't use my CB very much and just noticed this over the 4th of July weekend. Whenever I transmit on the CB, the TX indicator goes on for a few seconds and then goes off. I thought it might be the PTT switch so I held it down harder, with no change. It did this most of the day when I tried to use it. I thought it might be a dirty contact switch, but wanted to check this board before I went any further. Is there any sort of CB “shut down” if certain conditions aren't right? I haven't taken the switch apart to clean it yet. I will check the SWR this weekend; if the SWR is too high will the CB TX shut down to prevent damage? I also noticed that the previous owner used the antenna ground to ground the taillight modulator. I’m not sure this is right and plan to relocate the ground. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Don't know anything about GW CB, but SWR would be my first guess.

Protects the final(s) in the unit from harm.

Mike

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
My 02 did that when i was plugged in the front but i could plug it in the rear and it worked great. They put a main wiring harness on bike to fix it still working for my buddy at 90K miles

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
I don't use my CB very much and just noticed this over the 4th of July weekend. Whenever I transmit on the CB, the TX indicator goes on for a few seconds and then goes off. I thought it might be the PTT switch so I held it down harder, with no change. It did this most of the day when I tried to use it. I thought it might be a dirty contact switch, but wanted to check this board before I went any further. Is there any sort of CB “shut down” if certain conditions aren't right? I haven't taken the switch apart to clean it yet. I will check the SWR this weekend; if the SWR is too high will the CB TX shut down to prevent damage? I also noticed that the previous owner used the antenna ground to ground the taillight modulator. I’m not sure this is right and plan to relocate the ground. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations.
No, it does not. If the SWR is extremely high, you can "burn" the finals within the radio.
Your description doesn't sound like an SWR problem.
High SWR=short transmitting distance and/or poor transmitting "quality" of ones voice.
I would clean the PTT switch to start with.
If that corrects the problem then, if the SWR has never been checked/tuned, I would certainly do so.
If the problem continues, checking the antenna ground and the radio ground would be next, then all harness connections.
After that, it would be time for me to seek professional help from a CB shop or have a conversation w/ http://www.sierra-mc.com/
Good luck and please post what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts