GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't use my CB very much and just noticed this over the 4th of July weekend. Whenever I transmit on the CB, the TX indicator goes on for a few seconds and then goes off. I thought it might be the PTT switch so I held it down harder, with no change. It did this most of the day when I tried to use it. I thought it might be a dirty contact switch, but wanted to check this board before I went any further. Is there any sort of CB “shut down” if certain conditions aren't right? I haven't taken the switch apart to clean it yet. I will check the SWR this weekend; if the SWR is too high will the CB TX shut down to prevent damage? I also noticed that the previous owner used the antenna ground to ground the taillight modulator. I’m not sure this is right and plan to relocate the ground.

Additional: I checked the SWR and it 1.2, so pretty good. I did notice when I was checking the CB radio with the ENGINE OFF, INGITION ON I didn't have any probs with radio. With the engine RUNNING is when I have the CB cutting out. NE Thoughts, suggestions, recc, ideas?

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Check your battery!
No, there is no protection if the SWR is to high-It will burn out the finals in the radio. Good reason to always check that, even if you get one of those antennas the are "claimed" to be pretuned!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is 2 mos old (new), 12.5VDC ign on, eng off. 14 Ign on Eng on. Antenna is OEM, came with bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cb

Clean switches with contact cleaner, don't be affard to use lots of it. Darn things can get a lot of dirt and crud in them over the year. Will still transmit even if SWR are high. Good luck Lets us know how things work out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CB cuts out

Cleaning the contacts on the switch and taking a look at the cable connectors under the seat is my next priority.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Mine did that, a couple of shots of contact cleaner fixed it right up.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
I was having a problem with my CB switches. All three of the CB switches would only work going down the scale and would not go up the scale. I tried lubing the switches and that fixed it for a short while and then the problem returned. I was thinking that the whole left handlebar control would have to be replaced. I removed the top shelter just for a look before I ordered a new control pod and found that the wiring harness plug for the handlebar control was the problem. I simply unplugged the wiring harness plug and cleaned it a bit, used some electric grease on the plug and plugged it back in to the wiring harness and that fixed my problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cb cuts out

I took apart the left side switch assembly and got down the the PTT switch..took it apart and cleaned and lubed with contact grease. Rode for about an hour with no probs. I was AMAZED how dirty the inside of the switch housing wa. Thx all for you insight and recommendations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts