GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any ideas. Lately my CB radio cuts out when someone is transmitting. It is more pronounced when I hit bumps in the road. hence, loose connection. I checked all the plugins, and even disconnected them and added a little dialectric grease. I did not notice any thing loose. The antenna also seemed to be tight. Before I put things back together, I thought if I could poll this group of experts and ask if anyone has experienced this and, what did you find was the issue?
Thankyou in advance.

I

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you have checked all connections, but check them again. Since you say the cut out is more pronounced on bumps.

You say "when someone is transmitting" so I assume your problem is on receive, not when you or your passenger are transmitting.

Could be a bad power or interface cable, antenna lead or connection , or simply a bad radio.

Also possible problem with your audio unit. Have you checked the multi pin plugs to it? It is buried under the top shelter. Such problems can sometimes be very hard to isolate.

Sorry..no better answers.

Good luck. Ride safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to happen more when the front wheel hits a rut or pothole. If it were the CB unit, would it be more when the back wheel hits the pothole or rut?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You may have good connections with the plug assembly, however, sometimes the wires are not crimped properly to the spade in the plug. This can happen in the actual assembly of the plug back in China or where ever it was made.

You should separate the plug and wiggle the wires going into the end of spades and make sure they are crimped properly.

Also, you may have enough juice getting through to power the radio, but when you transmit the extra load that is drawn cannot make the poor connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts