GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i key up my headlights start flashing, not sure if its even transmitting. any ideas?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Now there's a new one, never heard of that. :shrug:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Can't say, but almost sounds like a short, but if the fuse is good. I would unplug and replug the CB and make sure that they were pluged in right to start. Unplug the CB and see if everything is ok. There's got to be someone smarter than me that can help.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The typical few watts of RF the CB transmits isn't usually strong enough to cause that sort of problem but....
I'll throw out a few comments to help you brainstorm....

If you have a headlight modulator installed but turned off...
It could be RF getting into the modulator circuits causing them to trigger.

If it's just a random flashing or dimming it could still be RF getting into the electric circuits.

If it is RF.... I'd check that the antenna grounding brackets in the trunk are well connected....and check that the coax is well connected and not damaged anywhere.

Any poor ground connection in the bikes circuitry could be a possible cause
of making some circuit susceptible to RF from the CB transmitter.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you have a headlight modulator installed but turned off...
It could be RF getting into the modulator circuits causing them to trigger.
I was thinking along this line. Did you buy the bike used? Is this a new problem that just started? Did someone do a headlight flasher and wire it through the ptt switch? That by the way would be kinda cool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. All the connections and coax appear to be fine, although I do have a modulator that is unhooked. I'll have to check this out further.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Do you know Morse Code??

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks for all the input. All the connections and coax appear to be fine, although I do have a modulator that is unhooked. I'll have to check this out further.
Definitely possible that the modulator not having the right connections
would allow the CB RF energy to activate the modulator circuits.
I would look for a good ground on the modulator....
which (depending on the type of modulator) may be getting it's ground through the headlight lamp connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts