GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Chatterbox noise reducing headsets. My wife (co-rider) complains about the noise. I'm aware of some noise filter products (J&M, etc) for this problem. I'm going to buy a Honda CB, which I understand includes 3 noise filters. Will these help alleviate intercom noise or should I still buy a separate product to accomplish this?
Thanks

·
Vendor
21,875 Posts
My understanding of the CB filters is that they eliminate ignition/alternator type noises from the headsets, but they do nothing to filter the wind noise that the headsets themselves pick up and amplify.

Honda and Matsushita (Panasonic) should have incorporated some active wind noise filters into the intercom amplifier circuits, but they didn't. The best solution out right now are Mic-Mutes which allow you or your passenger to turn both mics off. Ed Davis (of EdSets) is currently working on developing a filter for the wind noise, and I think it holds promise. I hope to test it in the next few weeks.

Kennedy Technology also makes a VOX to turn the mics on and off with voice, though I haven't used it myself.

I have ordered the new improved Honda harness kit ($65) that breaks out the headset cables into separate shielded harnesses and adds a choke on the ground for the audio unit. I will know more in a week or two how much it helps with the ignition noise.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Very unusual for just the passenger to complain about noise. Usually both the driver and the passenger hear the wind and road noise picked up by the passenger's mic. What kind of noise is it and do you hear it as well? If it is wind and / or road noise coming from either mic, the CB filters will not do anything help eliminate it. You must first determine where it comes from. I also have the Chatterbox Open Face Noise reducing headsets. Fine tuning of the intercom mute settings will help, sounds like the intercom is not muting at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never been in the co-rider seat, so I'm not completely sure what my wife hears, but it's bothersome enough that after the intercom is on for a while, she asks me to turn it off. I hear noise also, just doesn't bother me as much. Don't have anything to compare it to. I'd like it better if it were quieter also. We use convertible Nolan helmets and this experience has been in the "full face" mode. Thanks for the feedback so far.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Len, next time you go for a ride by yourself turn the intercom on and see if the noise is still present in your helmet, or if your wife is with you, have her unplug her helmet while you listen for a change in the noise. My quess is it is coming from her intercom mic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts