GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to this bike. how do you use the cb??? do i need a head set?? the bike is a 2003 THANKS

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Assuming your bike has a CB, you can HEAR the CB with the bike speakers or a helmet headset. However to transmit you will need some sort of mic. I don't know of a hand held mic that will plug into the wing. A helmet headset/mic combo is what most people here use. There are several different brands available. J&M, Edsets, Chatterbox to name a few. Generally you get what you pay for. I have had the $99 headsets that lasted for a year and the $200 headsets that have lasted for 3 years and still work fine. Something to think about is what are you going to use the headsets for. Strictly voice communication...or Hi Fi stereo sound. Keep in mind that you will NOT get concert hall type sound from a small speaker headset. I am using a middle of the road J&M headset in a KBC open face helmet. I think my headsets were about $150. Also, if you choose not to wear a helmet, there is a headset that works in that application also. PM me if you have any questions.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A big WELCOME to the board dreamers!!!

The Capt'n covers it pretty well.....
Couple more comments.....
I bought the Chatterbox (cheaper than J&M and Edsets)
and swapped out the "voice only" speakers for some I pulled from
a $20 set of Koss headphones. Ended up with EXCELLENT music quality sound.
The Chatterbox units on our two helmets lasted 6 years before getting
wiring and connection failures. I patched them up and used them another year before getting new ones.
Just bought two new Chatterbox sets, with the two piece cable to match them up to the wings connectors......for $55 each.
About half the price they were back in 02. Go figure.
Of course I'll have to buy some more Koss headphones to get the speakers I love.
If you go headsets.....get (or make) some with music quality speakers.
You'll be glad you did.
If you install yourself..... VERY important to spend time getting those
speakers lined up perfectly with your ear locations. A quarter inch off and the sound will be substantially reduced. Get it right and you'll be much happier.
J&M used to make a "stand alone" hand microphone that plugged into the bikes headset connector in the fairing. I believe they quit offering it and unless you can find a used one for sale....you'd probably have to get the connector and modify a standard CB hand mic to be able to transmit without a headset mic.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I wear a FF helmet with a Chatterbox. Works fine with my CB and XM radio. Not the best speakers as mentioned, but works for me.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
my headset happens to b Chatterbox, has been used for just about 300,000 miles, the cord started going bad a couple years ago so i had to replace that, otherwise its been trouble free, the sound quallity ain't so good but its good enough for me, if i was buying a new headset today it would probably b the lowest priced J&M headset only because it seems like lots of dealers carry replacement J&M parts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don,t want to wear a headset,any thing else i can do???

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Like I said in my original post, you could look for a hand held mic and listen to the CB through the bikes speakers.
Other than that, I don't know how you would transmit without a mic :shrug:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Handheld CB mic

I have seen a standard handheld CB mic for the 1800 but I don't recall from where. It was in the $40 range if I recall correctly and it was an online catalog. I'll spend sometime looking for it.
I use J+M headsets on several different brands of helmets depending on the need. I've gotten them new off eBay for just over $100 if you shop it the right way. I have 6 helmets with mics from 3/4 HJC to a full face Nolan.

Harry T. Stone
[email protected]
www.thepurplewing.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts