GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just finished the CB install on my 08 Wing and I wanted to thanks everyone who contributed to the many threads and various tutorials. I would have been lost without the help of everyone here. No major difficulties and I only lost two small parts that were found later. Man oh Man, is there a lot of places to lose stuff!

I took my time and probably went a lot slower than most but I certainly did not want to screw anything up. Surprise! I did not mess anything up. The only trouble I had was getting the cable return reinstalled on the right side pocket.

Went on a short ride and listened to the truckers for awhile. Yada yada yada. Yada, yada, yada. Yada.

By the by, do most people turn off the roger beep?

Titus Andronicus
Pining for the fjords

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Roger beep on or off depends on personal preference.

And, yes, the lower part of a wing is a bottomles pit for small parts.

Welcome to the party.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Find the roger beep annoying as heck. Tried it a couple times and made it go away. To me it serves no useful purpose.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Titus: Congrats!!

I haven't put a CB on my '08 ABS yet but am considering it but kind of leary about taking off the big tupperware. :eek:4: In a previous post, someone stated that you could fish the wire under the tupperware and not have to remove it. Is that what you were able to do or did you have to remove it. I appreciate any details because it would be great to save a couple of bucks on installation.

Thanks and again :congrats:

·
Registered
632 Posts
By the by, do most people turn off the roger beep?
I don't know about now but years ago, using the "roger beep" meant you lived an "alternative" lifestyle.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
pencil pusher: i too have heard you donot need to take any of the front off and it can be fished around pulled through by a wire. A good purchase maybe Freds videos

·
Registered
858 Posts
I didn't pop the shelter completely off, just lifted it up enough to run the wire. As Slowpoke said, this forum was a lifesaver...no problems encountered on install, just took my time.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Titus: Congrats!!

I haven't put a CB on my '08 ABS yet but am considering it but kind of leary about taking off the big tupperware. :eek:4: In a previous post, someone stated that you could fish the wire under the tupperware and not have to remove it. Is that what you were able to do or did you have to remove it. I appreciate any details because it would be great to save a couple of bucks on installation.

Thanks and again :congrats:
The best answer for this is....it's easier to remove the top shelter for wiring connections and filter installs. How ever, it is not necessary to remove the trunk as per directions. you can use a right angle drill attachment and drill from inside the CB compartment. Make sure all wires are clear on the other side!
And another piece of advice: Take some of the savings and use it on a set of Fred H. DVDs. If you like to be your own wrench, you will be glad you did! http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6630&str=4&ID=798739916

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I Roger your vector, Victor... Over.

The "roger beep" does get annoying... makes it sound like some 2-meter repeaters. Most people are OK with waiting for one transmission to end and waiting a second or two before keying their transmitters.

I wonder if somebody will come up with a way to modify that beep and change it to another sound (i.e., a quack)... just to really get people's attention.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The 1st CB I installed I removed the top shelter and also loosened the trunk. The 2nd one I installed I just loosened the top shelter and I used a 90* drill for the wire hole in the trunk. As in most things, it's easier the 2nd time you do it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks to all for your sound advice. And with Father's Day not too far away and acourse, Hal will have another sale.........let's see....
1 Antenna
1 CB
1 Fred's Dvd's
+ one H E double hockey sticks of a Mother's Day gift.....

Ya, I think I can do that!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Titus ... one comment puzzled me. Why did you have to "reinstall cable return" (I assume you meant cable release") in the right pocket?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Ok gang,
I've been around for a while and have had numerous CBs in all kinds of rigs but, I've never heard of a "Roger Beep". Can someone enlighten me please? I have an idea but I'd like it confirmed. Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
OrangeCrush: To remove the right side pocket you have to disconnect the door release cable. Sometimes it can be a little tricky getting it re-installed. Sometimes not.

Fire Up: You can set your CB to "BEEP" when you release the transmit button, indicating to other riders that you have finished speaking. Due to...the slow...and halting manner...in which those of...um...those of us in the South...often talk...it's a pretty...a pretty good...um...thing to activate...so folks know when...uh... we're finished speaking.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
OrangeCrush: To remove the right side pocket you have to disconnect the door release cable. Sometimes it can be a little tricky getting it re-installed. Sometimes not.
But why remove the right pocket? That's what confused me ... since I assumed that's why he had to reconnect the cable.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If you notice, he said he turned it for a while, listened to the truckers, yada, yada, yada, and turned it off. It will probably remain in that position until he forgets and then will turn it on for a short while, listen to the truckers, yada, yada, yada, and turn it off again for a long time until he forgets and tries it all over again.
If I had it to do all over again, i would not install one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a big talker

If you notice, he said he turned it for a while, listened to the truckers, yada, yada, yada, and turned it off. It will probably remain in that position until he forgets and then will turn it on for a short while, listen to the truckers, yada, yada, yada, and turn it off again for a long time until he forgets and tries it all over again.
If I had it to do all over again, i would not install one.

A slight correction if I may. The reason I got the CB was to be able to communicate with a few friends when I ride, not to engage in a gabathon with anyone. As an illustration, my phone plan allows for 450 minutes with rollover. I now have 4800 rollover minutes. I only talk when I have something worth listening to, so that means I do not talk much!;)

Titus Andronicus
-- A fool talks because he has to say something. A wise man talks because he has something to say. -- Aristotle

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
The "roger beep" does get annoying... makes it sound like some 2-meter repeaters. Most people are OK with waiting for one transmission to end and waiting a second or two before keying their transmitters.

I wonder if somebody will come up with a way to modify that beep and change it to another sound (i.e., a quack)... just to really get people's attention.
i used to modify and build 'beep' boards for my 'CB' buddys and some fellow hams, everything from a whoop sound to a 3 tone dah dit dah tried a police siren sound but never quite got it right :)
now 'quack', that would be good hehe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts