GL1800Riders Forums banner

CB INSTALL

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jimmydsmith7 
#1 ·
Ok, started the CB install yesterday afternoon. Had to work the morning, and its raining,and we are under shelter in place order. I really wasn't planning on doing a deep dive into the install today, I was planning on waiting until my next full day off. My intention was to go ahead and mount the handlebar controller only, as it required no body panel removal and should have been a quick 5-10 min job. Go in have supper and relax the rest of the evening.
WELL, I accidentally dropped my allen wrench I was using to do the controller install with down thru the handlebar opening into the front of the bike! Of course it didn't just bounce thru and fall to the floor, I could not be that lucky, it fell into the abyss of the engine. SO, I brought my laptop out and pulled up Fred's videos and a couple of youtube vids and started to remove body panels to try and find the allen wrench.
I removed both outer covers,and the top shelter and by pure luck, I saw the wrench and was able to retrieve it. Being this deep into it, I went ahead and finished the controller hook up. Plugged in the CB unit and antenna and check to see if I had the CB icon on the dash and could change squelch and channels, which i did. So, I reinstalled all of the front body panels, and plan on doing the antenna and CB module install on my day off.
Not a bad DIY job, just take your time. I have watched the videos several times prior to starting the tear down and it was helpful to have the laptop right there to refer to.
I am proud to report that I did not have any left over bolts or pushpins, nor did I lose any during the process. I feel good that I will be able to do the air filter change when the time comes.
Jimmy in Texarkana, USA

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, started the CB install yesterday afternoon. Had to work the morning, and its raining,and we are under shelter in place order. I really wasn't planning on doing a deep dive into the install today, I was planning on waiting until my next full day off. My intention was to go ahead and mount the handlebar controller only, as it required no body panel removal and should have been a quick 5-10 min job. Go in have supper and relax the rest of the evening.
WELL, I accidentally dropped my allen wrench I was using to do the controller install with down thru the handlebar opening into the front of the bike! Of course it didn't just bounce thru and fall to the floor, I could not be that lucky, it fell into the abyss of the engine. SO, I brought my laptop out and pulled up Fred's videos and a couple of youtube vids and started to remove body panels to try and find the allen wrench.
I removed both outer covers,and the top shelter and by pure luck, I saw the wrench and was able to retrieve it. Being this deep into it, I went ahead and finished the controller hook up. Plugged in the CB unit and antenna and check to see if I had the CB icon on the dash and could change squelch and channels, which i did. So, I reinstalled all of the front body panels, and plan on doing the antenna and CB module install on my day off.
Not a bad DIY job, just take your time. I have watched the videos several times prior to starting the tear down and it was helpful to have the laptop right there to refer to.
I am proud to report that I did not have any left over bolts or pushpins, nor did I lose any during the process. I feel good that I will be able to do the air filter change when the time comes.
Jimmy in Texarkana, USA
Nice recovery there. Glad you found it. Will the actual install be very complicated? Out of curiosity, how are you planning to use the CB..group rides?

#5 ·
As far as complicated install, it is not that complicated if you watch the videos. I read the written Honda instructions..... even with the pictures, not true pic but the drawn pics, would have been hard to do with out seeing it in person. The videos such as Fred H's or Max at Traxxion Dynamics, or others on youtube make it easier as far as seeing what you need to do.

#8 ·
On an unrelated issue. Would you take a pic of the FCC ID # on the main body and post it or just post the number. I don't need the serial number, just the FCC ID number, which is the same on all CBs for our bikes. Thanks.

#12 ·
Finished the CB install last night. It went without a hitch. I added the Sierra Electronics T268 CB antenna splitter. I am hoping to get better AM/FM reception using an external antenna. Bought a 2 foot antenna extension and drilled a hole up thru the saddlebag top next to where the factory CB antenna enters the saddlebag. I had a left over rubber plug that the extension fit in which worked perfectly. Waiting on the Farka radio plug to arrive to hook up the AM/FM radio to see if i get better reception than stock hidden antenna. Also have to check SWR on the CB, which I will probably do on Friday. I also added the Sierra Electronic breakover on the antenna so i can still use my cover that does not have a hole for the antenna to stick thru. I works like a charm and looks factory. Will update when all is finished.
Jimmy in Texarkana, USA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.