GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking my CB isn't working quite right. First question, & I should know this but I don't. Does the intercom have to be on, for you to hear your voice through the headsets when transmitting on the CB? Second question. Can anyone give me a clue, as to why we hear a squeal when the mic is keyed? It's almost like some sort of feedback. It's not the Roger Beep, & it lasts as long as I have the transmit button pushed. None of the other CB's I've had done this. I've always had the Roger Beep turned on, on all my other Wings, & it was never heard through the headsets, but this one does. That's another reason why I don't have it on. Thanks for any ideas or possible answers. The CB seems to transmit & receive ok, except for the squeal, & haven't had a CB ERROR come up. :?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
I'm thinking my CB isn't working quite right. First question, & I should know this but I don't. Does the intercom have to be on, for you to hear your voice through the headsets when transmitting on the CB?
Yes. Better quality transceivers have "sidetone" which means that part of your transmitted signal is rerouted back to your headset so you can hear yourself when transmitting. But the Honda CB doesn't have sidetone, so the only way you can hear yourself transmit is by having the intercom on.

Second question. Can anyone give me a clue, as to why we hear a squeal when the mic is keyed? It's almost like some sort of feedback.
From what I've gathered on this board, this symptom is known by Honda, and is specific to the airbag equipped models. Supposedly Honda is working on the problem. Try doing a search - I seem to recall Jan Kokochak complaining about this problem too.

Arthur

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sunkist said:
Verdayne aka Wingnut said:
Second question. Can anyone give me a clue, as to why we hear a squeal when the mic is keyed? It's almost like some sort of feedback.
From what I've gathered on this board, this symptom is known by Honda, and is specific to the airbag equipped models. Supposedly Honda is working on the problem. Try doing a search - I seem to recall Jan Kokochak complaining about this problem too.

Arthur
Thanks Sunkist,
Just been out experminting with it, & found out there's no squeal in my headset, if my wifes headset is unhooked. Hers works fine with the intercom, & also works fine with the am/fm radio.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The squeal is a problem with more than just the 06 models and has nothing to do with the airbag model as far as I know. It's been around for a long time. It's caused by the failure of the audio unit to mute as it's supposed to when a PTT signal is present.

What happens is the RF energy from the CB gets into the AU via the rear speaker wiring to cause it to fail to mute. If you were to unplug the rear speakers under the seat, I think that you'll see the squeal stop

A poorly tuned CB antenna can aggravate it. Changing the antennas radiation pattern can affect the SWR of the antenna and make the squeal come or go. Adding or removing a passenger, keying the CB with the bike in a garage, or standing next to the bike near the antenna can all affect the CB antenna radiation pattern and SWR.

You can try tuning the CB antenna. Other than that about all I know that can be done is to have the AU repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Okay, here goes. Honda does in fact have a cb feedback problem with the airbag models. There may also be another feedback problem with earlier models in regard to lack of muting, but with the airbag model, the RF is getting into the intercom circuit.

Honda sent a special harness to my dealer with what is called a "ferrite loop" or "ferrite stick" in line with the wiring. The mechanic unplugged the intercom circuit, plugged the new adapter in line, and voila, the feedback is gone.

There is a difference in problems as I understand it. Some bikes have a failure to mute. The 06 and 07 models are dumping RF from the CB into the audio circuit. It takes the special harness to fix it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
Okay, here goes. Honda does in fact have a cb feedback problem with the airbag models. There may also be another feedback problem with earlier models in regard to lack of muting, but with the airbag model, the RF is getting into the intercom circuit.

Honda sent a special harness to my dealer with what is called a "ferrite loop" or "ferrite stick" in line with the wiring. The mechanic unplugged the intercom circuit, plugged the new adapter in line, and voila, the feedback is gone.

There is a difference in problems as I understand it. Some bikes have a failure to mute. The 06 and 07 models are dumping RF from the CB into the audio circuit. It takes the special harness to fix it.
Jan, I have not noticed this because I do not use my intercom much. The times it was used there was so much wind noise it would noe mute that's all I heard. Is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Jan,

I'd like to know more about the location of the ferrite. Do you think that you could snap some photos? Do you have a close relationship with the dealer or mechanic that did the work? Maybe it would be possible to get a copy of the service bulletin?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Morph said:
The squeal is a problem with more than just the 06 models and has nothing to do with the airbag model as far as I know. It's been around for a long time. It's caused by the failure of the audio unit to mute as it's supposed to when a PTT signal is present.
Bill, the muting problem (AKA, the CB Feedback Through the External Speakers Problem) was fixed by Honda in the winter of 2003/2004. I had the problem with my bike, and the AU was replaced with a revised design. I've had no recurrence since then. Also fixed with the redesigned AU was the mediocre automatic volume control.

Old AU: 39110-MCA-671 (2001-mid 2004 models)
New AU: 39110-MCA-672 (mid 2004 - 2005+ models)

Clearly the AU was redesigned in 2006 to accomodate the NAV unit and higher output power except, possibly, for bikes that don't have the NAV built in. I don't know for sure, but the non-NAV '06 and '07 might have the 672 AU.

In any case the problem Verdayne is having isn't related to the old feedback problem prior to the 2004 model year.

Cheers,
Arthur

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Towmoter said:
Jan Kokochak said:

Jan, I have not noticed this because I do not use my intercom much. The times it was used there was so much wind noise it would noe mute that's all I heard. Is this what you are talking about?
There was no mistaking the CB howl. It was so loud that it would cross your eyes, and it would transmit to the other bikes as well. They could hear it. There was absolutely no confusion as to what was going on.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Morph said:
Jan,

I'd like to know more about the location of the ferrite. Do you think that you could snap some photos? Do you have a close relationship with the dealer or mechanic that did the work? Maybe it would be possible to get a copy of the service bulletin?
Hi Morph

I would have to pull the seat to take pictures. This particular fix was created by Honda specifically because of the problems with MY bike. It was the first time they had encountered it because of the newness of the airbag system. The factory reps were on the phone with Champion Honda and me 15 times before they sent the wires. There were two separate adapters that came with a complete diagram. (In fact, I said to the "service manager" "they did that all for me?)
In the normal assembly, there are two flat cables that run from back to front under the seat. There are two plugs (jacks) toward the front of the bike. The new adapters were the same type of flat cables but with a large bulge (ferrite sticks) in the middle of them. (They really kinda looked cobbled up, wrapped with electricians tape) The bulges were about the size of golf balls or a little less. As soon as they were installed, the problem disappeared.

Here is a description of the problem. Sometimes (not always) when I could key the CB, I would get a loud howl in the intercom. I was not adjustable with the intercom volume. Sometimes it would work just fine. Other times, when I would key the mic, I would get "threshold" feedback, but it would get worse with acceleration. Odd huh"

Champion Honda in Leesburg, Florida. Rick is the service manager. Tom is the mechanic who did the work. Champion Honda is great to work with as long as everything is going okay. In my opinion, as soon as there is a problem, they draw there head into the shell. The service manager kept telling me that he was working on the problem, but called me back only when I bugged him to death. Honda, on the other hand, was very helpful and actually worked directly with me to get it resolved. In fact, they have suggested that I take my bike to a different dealer for additional work that needs to be done. (The buzzzzzzzz in the cruise control)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts