GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought CB. Where is yours located? Under seat, in trunk, elsewhere? Instructions say in trunk, but I use the indented location for emergency supplies/first aid kit, survival blanket, etc.
Thanks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you have to find a new location for something, why not the emergency supplies. That spot was designed for the oem CB and it fits perfectly there. The other stuff doesn't require any wires and can be located more easily? :shrug:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I agree. I think it would be a mistake to put it any place other then where it's intended to be.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It will not take your storage space.

Go to the help forum on this site, really good instructions can be found for installation of the CB.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Instructions say in trunk, but I use the indented location for emergency supplies/first aid kit, survival blanket, etc.
Thanks.
Sounds to me like you need to sell the CB to someone who has no problem placing it where it belongs.

I'll start the bidding at $100.

Next...

·
Registered
93 Posts
The spot for the CB in the trunk is actually for the CB and a CD player. There is quite a bit of room in the area above the CB after it is installed. I did not see that mentioned. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CB location

Thanks all, sarcasm aside, your comments are helpful. I was thinking maybe locating it in what I think is the "amp Box" under the rear fender. When the Missus and I take a long trip, we use every square mm to pack. We don't need a trailer for a two week trip, and get all the gear/clothing, etc needed including foul/cold weather in the bags, trunk, and trunk rack bag.
Anyone else put the CB into the boxed area under rear fender, the one with the rubber cover?
Ride safe....

·
Registered
993 Posts
Someone's not listening!!

$150.00

·
Banned
208 Posts
Thanks all, sarcasm aside, your comments are helpful. I was thinking maybe locating it in what I think is the "amp Box" under the rear fender. When the Missus and I take a long trip, we use every square mm to pack. We don't need a trailer for a two week trip, and get all the gear/clothing, etc needed including foul/cold weather in the bags, trunk, and trunk rack bag.
Anyone else put the CB into the boxed area under rear fender, the one with the rubber cover?
Ride safe....
there should be an amp in there... no room for CB there.

You will only loose about 2" from the bottom of that area in the trunk.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
put the cb where honda designed it to be:shock:

check the video ay WINGSTUFF on cb installation for instructions on a 20 minute install that does not require taking the top shelter off

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
As far as I know it is not water proof. Placing it most anywhere else,since you use all available space for packing, would expose it to moisture.
As anyone why has spilled a drink in the trunk will tell you, the first place that moisture goes is to the CB to it's demise ...

Place it in a sealed baggy with lots of duct-tape underneath the seat. Will look ghetto, but who cares! Out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Could be that he has one of the new CB units that have recently came to be. There are couple of them now that have MP3 players in them and phone capability and so on.
They are a bit bigger and will not mount in the original intended location, so might have to sit in the top storage little space.

There a a couple new guys in town, they use the very same wiring hook up and so on but are a bit bigger and hey, a lot more economically priced.

Wingstuff was the first one to have them, Not sure if HDL has them now or not.

And, And, they are made in the US of A.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Ride safe....
For arguments sake, let's say you could fit in the the amp location. How are you going to hook it up? The hardwired harnesses are the exact length needed for the location Honda designated. If you put it in the amp location, the harnesses would never reach.

You have a decision to make. The cubby hole under the trunk was not designed for storage. It was designed for the CB and CD changer. It is the only practical space to locate it, because there are no other voids on the bike large enough to house it.

Packing for a two week trip involves sacrifices. You can never take everything you want to take. A survival blanket wouldn't even be on my list of necessities, let alone the list of things I would like to take. But of course, that is a personal choice. If you really have to have that cubby hole for storage, then you are going to have to sacrifice the CB. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

I solved the space limitation problem by installing a Bushtec cooler rack. Criss and I found that drinks, a Thermos, and food took up too much of the available storage on the bike. It was a life saver. You can also install a Pak-It-Rack.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think that the power/control cords could be extended and you could velcro it to the passenger seat and when you wife rides she hold it in her lap.

Seriously...., If you are cramped for room to that extent, get a small trailer.

Jeff..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I cant help but wonder if you are confusing the little storage area under the trunk floor with the CB location area. That is NOT the place.
The CB goes under that area and when installed does not show when you open the little storage area in the trunk floor.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Seems the OP is determined so I say it is HIS money, His Cb and he wants to be different so if he wants to mount it to the gas tank I say have at it..

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I cant help but wonder if you are confusing the little storage area under the trunk floor with the CB location area. That is NOT the place.
The CB goes under that area and when installed does not show when you open the little storage area in the trunk floor.
When the CB is installed, it is covered by a small plastic plate. Without the CB, that storage area is deeper, and he wants the full depth.

Personally, I don't think 2 inches is all that much to lose. (although my wife might disagree):lol:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a CB mounted where it was designed to fit in the lower cubby hole. Above that I have my IPod controller mounted and also carry my manual in this spot. I have a trunk rack, and the Kury Pack Rack for the rear. The SO and I can go out 2 weeks and still have plenty of room to carry what we need. We ride in riding suits which really cuts down on the additional clothing required for a trip. YMMV, but if you mount that CB anywhere but where it is designed to go, be prepared to replace it in the near future. Also, if and when you put it in the bottom of the trunk, all liquids should be outlawed from being placed in the trunk. I drilled two small drain holes in the bottom of the trunk where the CB lies and put velco strips on the CB to raise it up about an 1/8 inch off the bottom in case of a moisture breach.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts