GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda line CB with a quality J&M open face headset on my 05 Wing. The CB has not had that much use yet fellow riders say I'm not clear on transmission. :croc: SWR's are a ratio of 1 1/4 to 1 I have plenty of carrier. I don't have a problem talking to truckers. However, their cab environment is somewhat better for listening to radios. My hand held mic with the bigger capsule comes through better. I have all the filters installed and don't have a problem with noise. Have run out of ideas with this darn plug and play setup. :rain1: It seems like I need to add some preamp power to the mic. Any ideas?

·
Registered
999 Posts
One possibilty is low modulation caused by improper (or sub-optimal) microphone placement. A lot of these helment setups reuire the mic to be "kissing close" to get enough modulation. The hint there is your hand held mic is better.

Might try bringing the mic in closer to your mouth. If I "pucker-up" in my full face, my lips touch the mic.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
got the wind sock on?
Are you too close to the mic and over-modulating?
Are the bikes too close together? Sometimes that causes garbled transmissions.
J&M isn't known for great modulation; they're the worst usually.
If you know somebody with an Air Rider headset, try that for giggles and see if it helps.
We use out radio all the time and it works great.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I found out I can overload the microphone circuit on my CB quite easily; what sounds great on the IC was crackling on the CB. What you need is a co-operative soul to listen and for you to try different distances from your mic ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts