GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TX light comes on and I can hear it break squelch when I have a handheld near by and other riders report hearing the squelch break. Can hear other CBes clearly so it is only transmission.

I tired two different helmets and two different cable connecting the helmets to the bike with no success.

I do have MicMutes installed and have not yet checked the fuse on it yet. Could it be the MicMutes fuse doing this?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Yes, the mic-mutes could be the problem. Also, is this a factory CB or a GL2Way? If a Gl2Way, could need a reset.

To test the mic-mutes, plug a helmet into both the passenger and driver and see if it works from helmet to helmet. If so, mic-mutes are working. If working, then try removing the negative lead of the battery for ten minutes or so to do a reset of the radio system. Hook battery back up and try it again.

Also, if there has been any maintenance done under the shelter the two plugs under the radio may not be fully seated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cb not transmitting

checked the Mic Mutes fuse, put a meter on it and it is ok, btw, those .5 fuses are harder to find than hens teeth. A call to Mic-Mutes they said they would send me some if I needed the, nice guy.

Just did the rest thing, removed the neg connection for 15 minutes or so. That did not fix it. With the intercom I can hear myself speak.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Had this happen to me.
It was a broken pin on the cable connecting to the helmet / mike.
You tried two different helmet sets so it doesn't seem likely that both would have a broken pin but it doesn't hurt to check real closely.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same Issue

Having the same problem but riders can hear me intermittently. The Bluetooth works with no issues. Thinking/Hoping my problem may be a dirty transmit switch. I have sprayed it with contact cleaner but haven't had a chance to try it since. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Just an off observation. If you've put any silicone grease or similar on any of the connectors, that could be causing your problem also. The system uses a very low voltage signal, any kind of grease (except silver grease) is a di-electric - will not pass electricity. Not much of an issue with the actual 12 volt system as the connector can usually make contact through it, but will kill the low signal of the radio system. If this be the case, liberal application of contact cleaner to get the grease off is in order.

Hopefully Larry or Pete will chime in - they're the experts on this system.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
After reading through all the symptoms, a few things can be eliminated here as a problem.

1.It's not the push to talk switch. If the TX indicator is on, the switch is working.
2.It is not a problem with your mike or the radio head unit. If you can hear yourself through the mike with your headsets on, then the entire mike system in the radio and your headsets is working.
3.The fact that you can hear yourself also tells me that the mic-mutes are probably not causing a problem either, but I am not familiar with how the mic-mutes system works, so I don't know if it could still be causing the problem. If it is easy to temporarily disconnect the mic-mutes and reconnect the system back to stock, I would try that first before going any further.

Most of the system has been pretty much eliminated, except for the CB and related wiring. You still have not said what you have for a CB. This would be a really unusual problem for the OEM CB, but I don't know about the GL2Way. After verifying that the mic-mutes are ok, I would try disconnecting the 13 pin CB cable connector under the top shelter and cleaning the contacts. You might be losing the mike signal to the CB through that connector.

There really isn't much else. Your transmitter appears to be working. You just don't have any modulation. For a failure in the CB itself to cause this. (If it is the OEM), you would probably be looking at water damage to the CB.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
As of the last time I tried using the CB radio (several months ago) I had the same exact issue with transmit with the Hondaline CB radio on my 2012. I thought it may be in the headset but since you have tried different headsets I'm beginning to wonder if it's in the CB radio. I've still got to get it into the dealer for that and the front-end wobble issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the OEM CB and had a chance to do some testing this a.m. I have a 08 that I run the DDM HID headlights. My riding buddies said that I had a lot of static when transmitting. I have tried all the quick fixes, moving the wires, ballast and wrapping the ballast in foil to try an eliminate some of the interference. I finally broke down and bought the CB filter sold by BikeMP3 specifically for those of us that run the HID headlights and have interference issues. Wish I would have thought to remove the filter while we were riding to see if it changed anything. Still trying to track down the issue. May have to eliminate the HID's.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I have the OEM CB and had a chance to do some testing this a.m. I have a 08 that I run the DDM HID headlights. My riding buddies said that I had a lot of static when transmitting. I have tried all the quick fixes, moving the wires, ballast and wrapping the ballast in foil to try an eliminate some of the interference. I finally broke down and bought the CB filter sold by BikeMP3 specifically for those of us that run the HID headlights and have interference issues. Wish I would have thought to remove the filter while we were riding to see if it changed anything. Still trying to track down the issue. May have to eliminate the HID's.
Our filter is not designed to improve your transmission but more to reduce the effect that HIS lights can have on your reception forcing you to raise your squelch thus loose reception

You need to look at positioning of your ballasts and wiring locations on the HID's to eliminate noise being transmitted

·
Registered
85 Posts
Our filter is not designed to improve your transmission but more to reduce the effect that HIS lights can have on your reception forcing you to raise your squelch thus loose reception

You need to look at positioning of your ballasts and wiring locations on the HID's to eliminate noise being transmitted
Pete, the filter does exactly what you designed it for. Without it I had to run my squelch at 17-18 and when installed I can run it at 3-4. I was trying to eliminate any possible source of my transmission issues. I always start with anything I have added to the bike before I start with the more difficult procedures. As mentioned in my previous post I have tried relocating the ballast with no improvement. I will try Larry's idea of cleaning the contacts before removing the lights just to see if that helps. I don't remember having this issue when I first installed the HID's. Rainy Sunday so nothing better to do than take the bike apart for some testing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts