GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding buddy has an 02 GL1800. We installed the Honda CB and upgraded his speakers to the J&M units. The audio sounds great and the CB transmits and recieves perfectly. SWR was 1:1 on channel one and 1:1.3 on channel 40. The problem is that if you are listening to music through the dash speakers and transmit on the CB the music cuts out like it is supposed to but your voice or transmission comes out through the speakers and causes a feed back or squeal like when you key up a walki-talki standing to close to another radio. If you are listening through the head set everything works perfectly. No voice through the head set speakers and no feed back. Switch back to the dash speakers and the problem comes back. I have inspected all wiring for damage, checked the polarity on the speaker connections, re-routed the CB antenna wire, even tried a different helmet to eliminate the microphone. Everything looks good. It has to be either a bad CB unit or a problem with the Honda audio unit itself. The CB is new and purchased from Honda Direct line. The Honda dealer here has no idea and J&M is at a loss as well. Any experience or ideas on this problem would be a great help. CB's and audio units are to expensive to just order a replacement without better diognostics.

Thanks / Dave

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Dave .. my 02 did the same thing... I would suggest you call Honda in Torrance, Ca.. they authorized changing my AM/FM radio.. it cured the problem... according to Mother Honda .. the radio was not compatiable
with the CB...

cosmic

·
Registered
762 Posts
Despite what your dealer and J&M have said, the CB feedback in the external speakers is a well known problem. You'll find lots of chatter about it back in the winter of 2003-04 if you do a search for CB feedback. Honda brought out a redesigned audio unit around January or February of 2004. I had the problem too with my '03 and got my AU replaced under warranty. Although the warranty on your friend's '02 is probably expired, perhaps your dealer can get your AU replaced. If not, there have been posts lately that say that refurbished AU's are available and can be swapped for your AU for a much reduced price over new (ie ~$100 vs $2K).

New AU: 39110-MCA-672
Old AU: 39110-MCA-671

Note the similarity in part numbers.

Hope this helps,
Arthur

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I knew someone here must have experienced this problem. Our Honda dealer service dept. is a little weak. Does anyone know a source for the improved audio unit other than a motorcycle wrecking yard in case Honda can't help out. I don't really expect them to since the bike is 5 years old.

Thanks again / Dave

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Dave set the squelch no lower than 17, and turn off the rear speakers. Try this before you change the audio unit.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 7,000 miles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts