GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a CB problem and we're hoping that someone on here can give some guidance about what the problem may be or, at least, give us ideas of where to be looking.

His CB, when turned on, is always in the RX mode - like it is receiving. It switches to TX when you push the button but then goes right back into RX when released. Of course, this kills the rest of the audio stuff.

The actual CB was sent in and check out ok, but when reinstalled by the dealership it worked for a short period and then went right back to this problem.

We have a trip coming up and didn't want to take it back to the dealership for an extended period of someone has an idea of what or where to look for the problem. Do you think it is in the unit and it needs to be pulled again or do you think it is a wiring problem somewhere? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
What happens when you turn the squelch up to 20?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine was recently doing this as well. I replaced the CB thinking it was bad as I've checked all connectors and verified it wasn't a squelch issue by raising the squelch up to the max and getting the same problem. The only thing I can figure at the moment is that my battery is causing the problem as all connectors have been checked, cleaned and reseated. The battery has plenty of voltage to start the bike, although it seems to crank a little longer than it used to, and everything else runs fine. The only symptoms I've had are the CB problems and a few start problems that were there one second, gone the next. While checking the battery terminals with a voltmeter while starting the battery dropped from 12.6 (resting, bike off) to 9.5 volts. Once it started up the battery voltage went up to around 14 volts showing the alternator was charging the battery. I'll be taking the battery in for a load test soon just to verify my thoughts. Your brother may want to do the same, especially with a trip coming up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
CB mystery

I bought a new 2010 a couple months ago and had the Hondaline Cb installed before I picked it up and it did the same thing. I put a post on here and got the same answers you are getting. I had already done everything suggested before I entered my post for advice. The only answer I got that I haden't tried was must be a short in the radio. Before I took it to the dealer I took the battery cables off and let it set for an hour. I hooked the cables back up and it was still locked in the Rx mode. I then started switching from the cb to fm mode and it finally started working. Its been working a couple weeks now without any problems so far but I won't put any faith in it not doing it again.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Even though you can't squelch the radio does it still receive, if it receives does the range seem to be normal. The ability to squelch a radio is developed by the gain in the IF circuits, if the radio does not have the proper amount of gain it will not squelch but may still receive if a transmitted source is close. Also, bear in mind that the symptom can be intermittant which may account for the clean bill of health you received when it was initially checked by the service center.

Do you know someone else who is local and has a CB on their bike, if so can you swap the CB between the bikes. Does the symptom follow the bike or the radio?

Sometimes a change in temperature will help to flush out an intermittant problem. I will stick it in a refridgerator overnight, if that doesn't work I might try a heat source (hair dryer). In either case you would have to return it for repair but any additional information is always welcome by those who try to isolate an intermittant problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts