GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the "normal" range for the Honda CB? My wife & I tried to check our new one, with a hand held job I have. She said she could hear me good about a half mile away(Not line of sight). We didn't try to see if it would reach any further. Thanks in advance for your replies.

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/wingnut

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's about it on the GL1800 CB. You could trim the antenna with a SWR meter and get a little more power out of it. The CB in the GL1500 had almost double the range of the GL1800.

:yw1:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
years ago i had a cb in my car

i could get 10 or more miles of range

why so little for the honda radio

loren

·
Registered
84 Posts
I get 4.2 to 4.3 miles between the CB on my '01 GoldWing and the CB in my car with the car parked on my driveway and the bike driving through
my suburban neighborhood. I seem to get about the same range between my 'Wing and other bikes on the highway. The range is usually a couple of miles better between my bike and trucks on the open highway.

Hope this helps,
Milt

·
Registered
84 Posts
Loren,

Re"years ago i had a cb in my car":

Years ago a mile was a mile long. Now, the government has fixed that and the miles are smaller. :D

Milt

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
depends on the day,somedays it's hard to talk 1/2 mile,other days can talk 5 miles. Weather,power lines,other radios all can have an effect on CB radio performance. I have used a lot of different CB's the best one ever was on my 1500 but I find these 1800 CB's to be pretty decent too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told that the reason the CB works better from an automobile is that the car acts as a ground plane for the signal - a bike has no surface to bounce off of -

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Gatorbait - you read your books. Asking the range of a CB is like asking how fast do you drive. What day? Where? What terain? How much traffic? Whats the weather? What equipment? I have been on a mountain in Oregon with a 3 watt GL1500 CB talking to some guy in an Gulf oilfield shooting skip, and have also been in a city where the radio noise is so bad you could not hear another truck two blocks away, running a 50 watt linear. I have noticed that my 1500 has a little better range and clarity than the 1800, but I trimmed up the SWR on the 1500.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The groud plane statement is very true. There just isn't enough of a metalic suface on a morotcycle to produce a good ground plane at 27 MHZ.

Our "loaded" antennas use a loading coil to simulate a larger ground plane, but it is still not as good as a real ground plane.

Remember that the walkie talkie that your wife was using has an even worse ground plane than your wing and the ground plane of an antenna effects BOTH the recieve and transmit modes, reducing your test range even further.

An antennnas ground plane needed gets smaller as operating frequency increases. That's one of the reasons that allows an 800MHZ and 2100MHZ hand held cell phone to work.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
yep ... no ground plane.
Only did one "test" before I started using it ... wife used one of my handhelds and was still able to hear me at 4 miles (after I'd already left the "open fields" and entered the "trees and houses" part of the road. I was able to hear her clearly for more than 3 miles.
On the open road, I commonly hear truckers for more than 10 miles around here ... so I'd say it's a lot better than I expected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
CB

I did not install the Honda CB and decided to try something else. I’m using a handheld CB setup on my GL1800 and depending on the terrain I can transmit and receive between 2 to 8 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts